when does it start to matter

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flexityflex86

Re: when does it start to matter

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:25 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote: Obviously Fordham is better than Iowa, but I figured Fordham is say as much better than Iowa than Penn is than Georgetown - hence the 21-35 separation.

It depends on the geographic region, which is what others have said. I doubt Fordham is better than Iowa if you're looking to practice in Iowa.

I was trying to simplify for OP that which can't completely be simplified, but overall if OP says, "I want to go anywhere in America I get a job" then Fordham and Iowa are somewhat simpler.

I guess more broadly if we're assuming top half at a given school:

If you want to be truly national then a top 3.

If you want a state then top 14.

If you want a decent shot at employment tier 1 (obvious fluctuations between)

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:25 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
donawoe wrote:I know everyone goes on about T6, T16,T20 etc. My question is at what point do the degrees from the schools stop having national mobility? Is anything below T30 regional or is that not until T50? I'm just trying to determine where in the rankings I want to stay and where to draw my cutoff.

Egregious UCLA trolling..

dude you do these trolling comments all the time. it's obvious he just typed random numbers looking for advise - why not say top 14? too many people on this website are so uptight and sensitive about such silly things. i really hope the actual field is not like this. can we just say whether you go to vanderbilt or yale you go to a pretty good school, and then let your actual practice of law do the talking?

u mad bro?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:26 pm

more like annoyed. who cares if he thinks ucla is better than vanderbilt - does it really bother u?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:32 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:more like annoyed. who cares if he thinks ucla is better than vanderbilt - does it really bother u?

No it was just a joke. If it bothers you so much, don't respond or get off of TLS. I really don't know what other advice I can give you in order to alleviate your discomfort about my choice of words.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:34 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:more like annoyed. who cares if he thinks ucla is better than vanderbilt - does it really bother u?

No it was just a joke. If it bothers you so much, don't respond or get off of TLS. I really don't know what other advice I can give you in order to alleviate your discomfort about my choice of words.

it doesn't bother me. i was just pointing out how stupid one would need to be to care. i don't even think vanderbilt's dean would care if OP said that to him.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:42 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

it doesn't bother me. i was just pointing out how stupid one would need to be to care. i don't even think vanderbilt's dean would care if OP said that to him.

Come on dude, I really don't care and I am well aware that the OP didn't devise of a scheme to take down Vanderbilt on the internet. It was just a joke. It just struck me as funny that someone would say T16 because I have become so accustomed to seeing T14. I really didn't even know that Vanderbilt was the next school after 16, I honestly thought it was WUSTL, but then again, who cares? I will try to control my "trolling" comments because I am really not trying to start anything with you through an internet forum. There are already more than enough other stupid things to be contentious about on this site.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:44 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

Come on dude, I really don't care and I am well aware that the OP didn't devise of a scheme to take down Vanderbilt on the internet. It was just a joke. It just struck me as funny that someone would say T16 because I have become so accustomed to seeing T14. I really didn't even know that Vanderbilt was the next school after 16, I honestly thought it was WUSTL, but then again, who cares? I will try to control my "trolling" comments because I am really not trying to start anything with you through an internet forum. There are already more than enough other stupid things to be contentious about on this site.

Egregious WUSTL trolling.

Runs for cover....

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:46 pm

Egregious WUSTL trolling.

Runs for cover....

I'm not gonna lie, I actually lol'ed.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:20 pm

The last thing you want to do is talk about biglaw hiring and then think it has to do with US News rankings. Look at the biglaw hiring rankings which indicate that a school highly ranked by US News does not always outperform a lower ranked school. US News is a good proxy for most discussions about law schools, but not biglaw placement/hiring.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:31 pm

T-14: National with ties, NYC without ties (as long as respectable grades)
Field: Best shot at job if you have ties to region around school. Highly ranked students at UCLA/Texas/Vandy can get NYC. Outrageously ranked students at other schools can get NYC.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:The last thing you want to do is talk about biglaw hiring and then think it has to do with US News rankings. Look at the biglaw hiring rankings which indicate that a school highly ranked by US News does not always outperform a lower ranked school. US News is a good proxy for most discussions about law schools, but not biglaw placement/hiring.

So I should take Cornell over Yale for big law? Yale was crushed in these rankings.

Errzii

Postby Errzii » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:The last thing you want to do is talk about biglaw hiring and then think it has to do with US News rankings. Look at the biglaw hiring rankings which indicate that a school highly ranked by US News does not always outperform a lower ranked school. US News is a good proxy for most discussions about law schools, but not biglaw placement/hiring.

Not sure if srs, but I'll bite. Maybe a greater percentage of grads at higher ranked schools have opportunities outside of big law and opt for those routes instead, e.g., clerkships? The list doesn't account for the fact that the percentage of people who want to do big law varies for every law school.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:52 am

Veyron wrote:T-14: National with ties, NYC without ties (as long as respectable grades)
Field: Best shot at job if you have ties to region around school. Highly ranked students at UCLA/Texas/Vandy can get NYC. Outrageously ranked students at other schools can get NYC.

Fordham?

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:20 pm

Fordham does very well. BC and BU place better in biglaw than Vandy or Texas. However, the difference between these schools (and USC/UCLA) is minimal. These are the top non-T14 schools in the country for biglaw.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:18 pm

just wondering what TLS's consensus is on the size of a region for each school.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:Fordham does very well. BC and BU place better in biglaw than Vandy or Texas. However, the difference between these schools (and USC/UCLA) is minimal. These are the top non-T14 schools in the country for biglaw.

That's just one year and a function of the solid Boston market. Plus, Vandy places a lot into non NLJ250 firms in the South that pay market for those regions. I would still say Vandy > BC/BU.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:55 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Veyron wrote:T-14: National with ties, NYC without ties (as long as respectable grades)

Fordham?

Fordham is regional but it just so happens that NYC is in its region.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:52 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:Fordham does very well. BC and BU place better in biglaw than Vandy or Texas. However, the difference between these schools (and USC/UCLA) is minimal. These are the top non-T14 schools in the country for biglaw.

That's just one year and a function of the solid Boston market. Plus, Vandy places a lot into non NLJ250 firms in the South that pay market for those regions. I would still say Vandy > BC/BU.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that BC and BU do better than Vandy and UT. What's the evidence here? Just that NLJ250 list?

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 am

BC and BU place heavily into New York and Boston. Because both cities have a significant biglaw presence, the schools tend to do much better than their southern counterparts in Tennessee and Texas, two markets that lack the same biglaw presence.

Placing better in biglaw doesn't mean they are better law schools, just that they place better in the top 100/250 firms. It is largely due to location and the markets they feed into. And its not like there is a huge difference if you look at the percentages.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”