USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USD $$$ or Loyola(LA) sticker

USD$$$
13
81%
Loyola(LA) sticker
3
19%
 
Total votes: 16

rungo21
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm

USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby rungo21 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 am

Just wondering what you guys think. I do want to practice in LA (or end up in LA one day). USD is not great for placement back into LA, as I emailed the career office at USD and they said last year 5% of grads placed in LA and 8% in OC.

On the other hand, Loyola LA will set me back 120 + ~80 in living expenses.

I wanna throw out there what is currently brewing in my mind: USD and Loyola are relatively "peer" schools (given not as much as Loyola/Pepperdine are). Go to USD first year for like 10k and kick a moderate amount of ass and get ~top 25% and transfer to LLS. Any comments on this?

What do you guys think?

User avatar
WhoIsDonDraper
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:19 am

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby WhoIsDonDraper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:03 am

Tag, good luck with your decision.

rungo21
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby rungo21 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 am

Thanks.. I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by "tag." Could you clarify?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:18 am

I think you should attend the school that best meets your needs - Loyola.

If you want more information, just PM me.

User avatar
WhoIsDonDraper
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:19 am

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby WhoIsDonDraper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 am

rungo21 wrote:Thanks.. I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by "tag." Could you clarify?


I don't have anything substantive to add but I wanted to see the answers, so I just posted on the thread so it would show updates in my profile.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:39 am

If the USD has no GPA stipulations then USD and settling for SD is the right call. If you really want LA you should retake/reapply for a better school than LLS (I say this because Loyola and Pepperdine have exceedingly strict top 1/3 stipulations on their scholarships that make going to them not worth it even with a large scholarship).

rungo21 wrote:Go to USD first year for like 10k and kick a moderate amount of ass and get ~top 25% and transfer to LLS.


My only comment is that there is a 75% chance that you won't be in the top 25%.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15499
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:44 am

USD scholarships typically come with a top 1/3rd stipulation. I'd still take USD.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby scammedhard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:12 am

With either of these options, you will end up with a MASSIVE debt and very MEDIOCRE job opportunities, if any. It's time to wake up and live in the real world: Retake/reapply, or don't go to law school.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:30 am

Retake/reapply. If you're gonna pay sticker for a school in SoCal, better be USC/UCLA (even this is a bad idea).

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:53 am

^ Agreed. California's market is shit and any school therein is a bad investment at sticker besides Boalt.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:14 am

WSJ_Law wrote:^ Agreed. California's market is shit and any school therein is a bad investment at sticker besides Boalt.


And SLS I am assuming haha.

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:27 am

HYS > Goes without saying IMO. But i actually retract my previous statement, as Boalt out-of-state at sticker is a truly horrific amount of debt if you do not perform well in the class. Somebody's gotta be in the bottom 10%...

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: USD $$$ vs. Loyola (LA) Sticker

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:34 am

WSJ_Law wrote:HYS > Goes without saying IMO. But i actually retract my previous statement, as Boalt out-of-state at sticker is a truly horrific amount of debt if you do not perform well in the class. Somebody's gotta be in the bottom 10%...


Yeah, I wouldn't go to Boalt at sticker.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cooldog, Maggiemae822 and 8 guests