Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
scammedhard

Silver

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:08 am

Since you are not getting a lot of support here, why don't you ask the same question at JD Underground? And please provide a link; I'd love to see what they have to say.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:20 am

scammedhard wrote:Since you are not getting a lot of support here, why don't you ask the same question at JD Underground? And please provide a link; I'd love to see what they have to say.
What's support have to do with any of this?

I'd just like anyone to step up and choose one or the other, given the circumstances.

In other words, is Loyola's higher placement among the NLJ firms and reputation within Chicago's legal community so far head of DePaul's that 15k/yr, with a low stip could be considered a worthy sacrifice if I didn't accept my offer at DePaul?

I don't remember posting any of the usual, "you're saying I should retake, but I've already taken it twice!;" or "how likely am I going to get a job with this a degree from this school;" or the favorite 0L post of this board, "but the dean and job statistics show the median is over 100k a year!"

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 am

Imagine some poor soul came to you for advice on a dilemma--should he flush his money down the toilet, or set it on fire? Could you advise one over the other in good conscience? Wouldn't you feel dirty to suggest doing one of those things, when you know a more attractive option (deposit in bank) is available?

That's how posters on this thread feel. That's why your entreaties of "please just pick one for me!" fall on deaf ears. It's morally wrong to encourage anyone to exercise either of those options.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:00 pm

Well, I already compared it to suicide.

Is it better to slit my own throat, knowing the likelihood is pretty good that I'll die with excruciating pain; or should I OD on pills, know it's less likely that I'll die, but it's also far less painful?

I don't think it's too much to ask a message board for opinions on two circumstances, regardless of the way some feel about the decision itself.

I've been around this board enough to know the frustration over the law school scam. It's been on my mind since I first sent my applications out in October.

In fact, if I wasn't around these boards that much I'd just assume that DePaul with money was the no-brainer. The fact I'm even considering whether the scholly money can be outweighed by a stronger (albeit slightly stronger) reputation at LUC shows that I've seen most of the typical opinions here.

Jetsetter

New

Post by Jetsetter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:47 pm

If you must. DePaul. The extra debt isn't worth the very minor difference in reputation. If you want to work in Chicago they are are pretty much the same.

I transferred out of DePaul. I have no interest in staying in Chicago and the lack of job prospects for the graduating 3L's even in Chicago scared the heck out of me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bass08

Bronze

Post by bass08 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:48 am

Are you sure the scholarship stipulation gpa isn't a 3.2? 15k/yr with a 3.2 gpa is their standard package. I would imagine if it says 2.3 that it's a typo. You may want to call up admissions and ask.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:51 am

Depaul.
Unless you have some reason to think loyola places massively better, which I won't believe anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”