Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:40 pm

15/yr, 2.3 stip at DePaul

I know most will say Retake and Reapply, but considering the question, which is the better option?

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby JOThompson » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:42 pm

What's the curve like at DePaul, i.e. what is median?

kipsbayeagle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby kipsbayeagle » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:46 pm

No Kent?

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby Shammis » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:47 pm

go to DePaul or retake...mainly so I can take your spot at LLS...lol good luck man, but seriously I'm dying on the lls waitlist...

Wrong loyola isnt it...damn.

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:01 pm

No Kent.

Ha, and sorry about the LLS confusion.

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby Shammis » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:06 pm

you had my hopes up and everything! lol no worries, good luck with your decision...my advice not knowing very much about either school is take the $$$ or retake.

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Median is 3.2

I've read and heard DePaul section stacks, though. I'm not sure how much this affects the stipulation, because the median is much higher than 2.3.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Really though, retake and reapply. Neither of these schools are worth this kind of money.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby scammedhard » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:38 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Really though, retake and reapply. Neither of these schools are worth this kind of money.

Didn't Nando from Third Tier Reality go the "DePaul with $$$"?
OP, please let me know when your scamblog is up and running.
Last edited by scammedhard on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:43 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Really though, retake and reapply. Neither of these schools are worth this kind of money.


Dude, I get it. I'm an idiot. You're smarter than me. You'll have a better life than me. I'll cry myself to sleep at night over my crippling bills. You'll be smoking cigars with your golf buddies, I'll be living off food stamps; and it's all because I didn't take your standard retake and reapply advice.

However, given the opportunity of going to LUC at sticker, or going to DePaul with money and a low stipulation, which would you say is the lesser evil?

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:01 pm

scammedhard wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Really though, retake and reapply. Neither of these schools are worth this kind of money.

Didn't Nando from Third Tier Reality go the "DePaul with $$$"?
OP, please let me know when your scamblog is up and running.


No scamblog from me, sir. I believe in taking responsibility for one's mistakes. I'm not going to complain about this decision, especially when I know the consequences.

Good news for you is that you don't know me, so I won't be asking you to loan me money.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18408
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:03 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Really though, retake and reapply. Neither of these schools are worth this kind of money.


Dude, I get it. I'm an idiot. You're smarter than me. You'll have a better life than me. I'll cry myself to sleep at night over my crippling bills. You'll be smoking cigars with your golf buddies, I'll be living off food stamps; and it's all because I didn't take your standard retake and reapply advice.

However, given the opportunity of going to LUC at sticker, or going to DePaul with money and a low stipulation, which would you say is the lesser evil?


If you cannot retake the lesser evil is probably not to go at all. Alternatively, what about reapplying for low ranked cheap state schools (e.g. MSU, UNLV, Rutgers, etc) or larger scholarships to lower ranked schools?

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby scammedhard » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:04 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:However, given the opportunity of going to LUC at sticker, or going to DePaul with money and a low stipulation, which would you say is the lesser evil?

This is not about being smarter or this or that. It's the hard, cold reality. How can you "invest" 3 years and 150K for a MEDIOCRE chance of getting a MEDIOCRE job? How will you pay back those debts?

Given your options, not going to law school is the lesser evil.

EDIT: We are trying to help you. We are well-intentioned.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Really though, retake and reapply. Neither of these schools are worth this kind of money.


Dude, I get it. I'm an idiot. You're smarter than me. You'll have a better life than me. I'll cry myself to sleep at night over my crippling bills. You'll be smoking cigars with your golf buddies, I'll be living off food stamps; and it's all because I didn't take your standard retake and reapply advice.

However, given the opportunity of going to LUC at sticker, or going to DePaul with money and a low stipulation, which would you say is the lesser evil?


LOL. Yeah, you have most of the first part right. The part about you at least. I'm not sure about me...and I'm on law review at a T25. If that doesn't tell you not to go to these TTTs, not quite sure what will.

Chippy
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby Chippy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:17 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
scammedhard wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Really though, retake and reapply. Neither of these schools are worth this kind of money.

Didn't Nando from Third Tier Reality go the "DePaul with $$$"?
OP, please let me know when your scamblog is up and running.


No scamblog from me, sir. I believe in taking responsibility for one's mistakes. I'm not going to complain about this decision, especially when I know the consequences.

Good news for you is that you don't know me, so I won't be asking you to loan me money.


Horatio, your objection to scamblogs (which merely warn people of about a bad investment) is childish. You should be looking at law school like any other investment and objectively running a cost-benefit analysis. Is 150k a good investment for about a 50 percent shot at being an attorney? I say not.

And you are wrong about the lender. The lender is the US Taxpayer, so when you default on 150-200k worth of debt, the taxpayer gets to foot the bill. The depaul deans cash the check.

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Really though, retake and reapply. Neither of these schools are worth this kind of money.


Dude, I get it. I'm an idiot. You're smarter than me. You'll have a better life than me. I'll cry myself to sleep at night over my crippling bills. You'll be smoking cigars with your golf buddies, I'll be living off food stamps; and it's all because I didn't take your standard retake and reapply advice.

However, given the opportunity of going to LUC at sticker, or going to DePaul with money and a low stipulation, which would you say is the lesser evil?


LOL. Yeah, you have most of the first part right. The part about you at least. I'm not sure about me...and I'm on law review at a T25. If that doesn't tell you not to go to these TTTs, not quite sure what will.



You could be on law review at HYS, with full scholly, and a guaranteed personal handjob from Justice Breyer, but you still wouldn't be answering the question.
Last edited by EstboundNDwn on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:00 pm

scammedhard wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:However, given the opportunity of going to LUC at sticker, or going to DePaul with money and a low stipulation, which would you say is the lesser evil?

This is not about being smarter or this or that. It's the hard, cold reality. How can you "invest" 3 years and 150K for a MEDIOCRE chance of getting a MEDIOCRE job? How will you pay back those debts?

Given your options, not going to law school is the lesser evil.

EDIT: We are trying to help you. We are well-intentioned.


I agree. But some are well-intentioned, most are not. I suspect there must be an incredible high one gets when they school a naive 0L. However, it must be frustrating when that 0L doesn't listen to you. Then again, I bet that quickly fades when you assure yourself that the other person is clearly less intelligent than you, and you're safe from the pitfalls of the TTT path.

Look at it another way: I'm not asking for anyone to talk me out of suicide, I'm just looking for someone to help me decide on the smoothest method.

None of you know me. It's not going to affect you in one way or another if I make a decision that ruins my life.

I'm just looking for objective opinions, given *two* situations.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:07 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Really though, retake and reapply. Neither of these schools are worth this kind of money.


Dude, I get it. I'm an idiot. You're smarter than me. You'll have a better life than me. I'll cry myself to sleep at night over my crippling bills. You'll be smoking cigars with your golf buddies, I'll be living off food stamps; and it's all because I didn't take your standard retake and reapply advice.

However, given the opportunity of going to LUC at sticker, or going to DePaul with money and a low stipulation, which would you say is the lesser evil?


LOL. Yeah, you have most of the first part right. The part about you at least. I'm not sure about me...and I'm on law review at a T25. If that doesn't tell you not to go to these TTTs, not quite sure what will.



You could be on law review at HYS, with full scholly, and a guaranteed personal handjob from Justice Breyer, but you still wouldn't be answering the question.


Not going to law school >>>> DePaul w/ 15K > Loyola sticker.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18408
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Reiterating my question:
bk1 wrote:Alternatively, what about reapplying for low ranked cheap state schools (e.g. MSU, UNLV, Rutgers, etc) or larger scholarships to lower ranked schools?

As a side note, I don't think that people who say retake/reapply/don'tgo are doing it out of pure benevolence, I think they get at least some joy out of feeling like they are helpful (and there probably is some element of feeling smarter than the other person). That being said, I personally am incredibly thankful that TLS convinced me to retake/reapply and looking back at some of my earlier threads I consider myself lucky to have heard the advice considering the fact that people weren't very vociferous about retaking/reapplying to some of first few posts I made. In retrospect I think it would have been better had people been clearer about it but as it stands now at least I heard the advice even if people didn't do a very good job at telling it to me.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 pm

bk1 wrote:Reiterating my question:
bk1 wrote:Alternatively, what about reapplying for low ranked cheap state schools (e.g. MSU, UNLV, Rutgers, etc) or larger scholarships to lower ranked schools?

As a side note, I don't think that people who say retake/reapply/don'tgo are doing it out of pure benevolence, I think they get at least some joy out of feeling like they are helpful (and there probably is some element of feeling smarter than the other person). That being said, I personally am incredibly thankful that TLS convinced me to retake/reapply and looking back at some of my earlier threads I consider myself lucky to have heard the advice considering the fact that people weren't very vociferous about retaking/reapplying to some of first few posts I made. In retrospect I think it would have been better had people been clearer about it but as it stands now at least I heard the advice even if people didn't do a very good job at telling it to me.


I don't get any joy out of "schooling" random 0Ls. If I didn't stumble upon this site after I took the LSAT for the first time, I would have thought my 161 was great and I'd be paying sticker for a T2. What I don't understand is why, when people have all the facts in front of them, they still decide not to listen.

User avatar
ChiCity22
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby ChiCity22 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 pm

Go to DePaul bro....there more or less peer schools, Loyola has a slight edge with big firms but outside of that the employment prospects are even. I can't speak for LUC but I'm heading to DePaul next year and have had a great time interacting with the faculty thus far, I felt uneasy when I first made my decision to attend because of all the negative pub that the school gets but it seems like there's allot of great opportunities here. The only major negative is that I'm pretty sure they section stack. :cry:

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:26 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:Go to DePaul bro....there more or less peer schools, Loyola has a slight edge with big firms but outside of that the employment prospects are even. I can't speak for LUC but I'm heading to DePaul next year and have had a great time interacting with the faculty thus far, I felt uneasy when I first made my decision to attend because of all the negative pub that the school gets but it seems like there's allot of great opportunities here. The only major negative is that I'm pretty sure they section stack. :cry:


Fair enough. Pros and Cons, I can appreciate that.

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:28 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:LOL. Yeah, you have most of the first part right. The part about you at least. I'm not sure about me...and I'm on law review at a T25. If that doesn't tell you not to go to these TTTs, not quite sure what will.



You could be on law review at HYS, with full scholly, and a guaranteed personal handjob from Justice Breyer, but you still wouldn't be answering the question.


Not going to law school >>>> DePaul w/ 15K > Loyola sticker.



Thank you. I appreciate it.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby scammedhard » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:34 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I don't get any joy out of "schooling" random 0Ls. If I didn't stumble upon this site after I took the LSAT for the first time, I would have thought my 161 was great and I'd be paying sticker for a T2. What I don't understand is why, when people have all the facts in front of them, they still decide not to listen.

It's called the "Since when does “most graduates” = ME?" syndrome and Elie @ ATL explains it quite nicely:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/07/the-time ... xplain-it/

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola at Sticker or DePaul with $$$

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:55 pm

scammedhard wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I don't get any joy out of "schooling" random 0Ls. If I didn't stumble upon this site after I took the LSAT for the first time, I would have thought my 161 was great and I'd be paying sticker for a T2. What I don't understand is why, when people have all the facts in front of them, they still decide not to listen.

It's called the "Since when does “most graduates” = ME?" syndrome and Elie @ ATL explains it quite nicely:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/07/the-time ... xplain-it/


"You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools. But that's the way I like it, baby. I don't want to live forever."




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, heythatslife, Sushi and 6 guests