Education Law programs? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tigerman28

New

Education Law programs?

Post by tigerman28 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:12 am

Hello,

I am trying to find programs that have at least slight specialization in education law (specifically, higher education law). I see Georgetown Law has such a program, but a Google search and going through higher ed professional organization websites haven't proven helpful. Any thoughts?

BTW, I understand it's not important to specialize so much as learning the law PERIOD. However, I would enjoy taking these education law electives in 2L and 3L.

Thanks in advance!

wolverinelove11

New

Re: Education Law programs?

Post by wolverinelove11 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:58 pm

Last edited by wolverinelove11 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:00 am

Check out the schools professors that teach education courses and what sort of involvement they have in the field. Also look at the selection of courses the school has to offer. Maybe look to see if the school has a secondary journal that emphasizes education law.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Not sure about your numbers, but in my research of Harvard and Yale, they both offered several courses and clinics in education-related law. Go to the website, search down the courses (its a pretty lengthy list at Harvard). I've heard positive things about some of the relevant professors and clinics.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:42 pm

I am a rising 2L at Penn State and am focusing my studies on Education Law. There is a really good joint degree program here that offers the opportunity to get your J.D. and then your masters also. Penn State has the number 1 higher education administration program in the country, so it's a really well regarded program.

I would look into schools that offer joint degree or that have highly regarded higher education programs (I believe Michigan has a great education program, and obviously they have a great law school). If you want some more advice about helpful classes, summer opportunities, etc. please feel free to send me a message. I have done a ton of research about education law since I decided that it is the avenue that I want to pursue, so I would be happy to share my knowledge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”