GULC or UPenn?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
onepass

GULC or UPenn?

Postby onepass » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:39 pm

My goal is to work in public interest or for a government agency in D.C. Even if my career goals change, I am certain that I will still want to live/work in the D.C. area.

I am intrigued by the ability to get a JD/MPA from Penn in 3 year and really like Penn's smaller class size. But it seems as though Georgetown has higher placement for government and public interest. Also, since I plan on settling in D.C./VA wouldn't Georgetown have a better alumni network in the area?

Currently, I'm on the Penn waitlist but I want to be ready to make a quick decision in the off chance that I get offered a spot. Quite unlikely, but I want to be prepared.

Thanks!

freestallion

Re: GULC or UPenn?

Postby freestallion » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:31 am

Personally I don't know too much about either, but I think Penn has a reputation for being more corporate. After speaking with a Penn alum, she told me that if you want to do anything else more public interest-y you will basically have to find and seek out your own opportunities. However, she enjoyed the school itself and it is definitely a better school than Georgetown. It depends how keen you are on public interest and government and also, about the financial situation- have you considered that?

onepass

Postby onepass » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:58 am

I now have two days to make up my mind. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am fully committed to Public Interest/Government work. I'm hoping to use LRAP to pay off the loans.

Penn offered me the same financial package as GULC so money will be the same.

For UPenn: I like the smaller class size, the joint degree programs, and it seems as though everyone I've called with questions is incredibly friendly and helpful.

For GULC: I like D.C., the availability of places to intern, and I believe the GULC LRAP is quite a bit better.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ausoccer19

Postby ausoccer19 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:05 pm

I would personally choose Penn, but I'm like you OP, I like the small class size, and the joint program seems like a great deal since you're not paying for a 4th year and still getting a master's in the process. While their career services may be more corporate oriented (as above poster stated), the degree has enough portability/prestige to land you a public DC job if you're willing to do the looking. Plus, if you start school and your priorities or career aspirations change and you want to work private sector...Penn wins.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:05 pm

I would choose Penn, too. DC would certainly be an exciting place to live, and I know GULC has good LRAP, but even if you are committed to public interest as a 0L, you never know what could happen a year or three from now. You may not get the prestigious PI job you want from GULC, and if you don't, then what? A Penn degree will be more valuable. Also, for all you know, your interests could change midway through law school. That's just my two cents.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:39 pm

OP says they are "fully committed" to PI or Gov. "Certain" that he wants to be in DC. The LRAP at GULC is better (haven't looked just going off what the OP said). OP also states that the placement for what they want to do is better from GULC. If this is true (acknowledging anything can change, but it sounds like way more then a hunch), I see no reason why anyone, let alone the OP, should think Penn is the better choice. Living where you want to for three years of your life isn't trivial. It will end up costing them less out of pocket with LRAP. GULC has much better PI resources and networking opportunities. I would choose GULC 100% in your scenario, given that you aren't overselling your conviction to PI/DC.

onepass

Postby onepass » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks everyone!

Well, there is always a chance that my interests might change and that is one of the reasons that Penn is appealing.

As for employment statistics, those seem to always be fudged. I'm guessing that most people that go to Penn want to do big firm work, so the number would be very self-selective. Also, Georgetown has a part-time program with a lot of people already working in the government and public interest. Since they already have connections and a committment in the field that would likely skew the Georgetown results with more people working in those areas.

Basically, would a Georgetown degree make it more likely for me to settle in D.C. because of its alumni network in the area? Does a Penn degree port just as well to the city?

onepass

Postby onepass » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Okay, so, I've been calling all over trying to get the most information.

It turns out that I misunderstood Penn. Basically, they are offering me $25 K over three years. Georgetown offered me $23 K for my first year, which can be renewed for the following years if my financial situation stays the same. Since, I will only be getting poorer, I'm guessing that Penn will cost me close to $50 K more.

Is that additional money worth it for the extra opportunities/better employment statistics at Penn? I know that people on TLS love to hate on Georgetown. But it also seems as though people on TLS also recommend making the best financial decisions.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:18 pm

onepass wrote:Okay, so, I've been calling all over trying to get the most information.

It turns out that I misunderstood Penn. Basically, they are offering me $25 K over three years. Georgetown offered me $23 K for my first year, which can be renewed for the following years if my financial situation stays the same. Since, I will only be getting poorer, I'm guessing that Penn will cost me close to $50 K more.

Is that additional money worth it for the extra opportunities/better employment statistics at Penn? I know that people on TLS love to hate on Georgetown. But it also seems as though people on TLS also recommend making the best financial decisions.

If you're set on DC, and want an agency or PI job, I don't see why you would bypass 3 years of networking with organizations at GULC. If you're at GULC, you can do semester internships at those places and build 3 years worth of connections.

onepass

Postby onepass » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks for the respnses everyone.

I decided on the same thing as the above poster. Also, it seems as though GULC is a lot more generous with financial aid and with the LRAP.

Sticking with Georgetown.

Noval

Postby Noval » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:48 pm

If the COL is not dramatically different when comparing both, and considering similar tuition, go for the less risky and do well from there, aka UPenn.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”