What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ran12

Silver

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Post by ran12 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:55 am

jwilson56 wrote:
taxguy wrote:How did you get into UB witha 151? I thought they wanted a few points more on the LSAT.

Frankly, I would keep the paralegal job. As for UB< it really isn't that bad for legal jobs in Maryland. Outside of Maryland, there is almost no hiring from UB.

Also, if you can get your LSAT up with tutoring just a few points (4-5), you would have a good shot for Maryland,which is not only much better ranked than UB, not only much better connected for jobs than UB,but is astonishingly several thousand dollars cheaper than UB.
I don't know...it's like the 25th LSAT range, and my GPA is around 50th or a little higher.

I'm thinking it's time to start studying like there's no tomorrow for the October LSAT.
Prob the Princeton degree helped. How often can UB write that a kid from Princeton decided to go there.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Please examine why you feel like you must attend law school so badly. There are a lot of opportunities for Smart Legal support people to move up in the federal government and have solid careers.

To put it another way, Smart Legal support people are in greater demand in the federal government and elsewhere than are U Balt grads.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Why do you want to get a JD?

And why do you want to be talked out of going to a T3? (The debt? Because you doubt how much a T3 degree will help you achieve whatever goal you have in mind?)

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Stick with the paralegal gig. You probably already make more $$ than most shitlaw lawyers.

KeepitKind

Bronze

Post by KeepitKind » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:14 pm

it'll take some determination, but you are showing improvement on the LSAT. at this rate, you can prob get in ED at NWestern for class of 2021 (need about 20 pts at +2pts per test = 10 test administrations; 10 / ~ 3 per year + 2-3 yrs off in between to get over the 165 plateau).

it'll be worth it, as long as ur not living in baltimore in the meantime.

and whenever ur feelin a lil down and need some inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUlOAyQ ... r_embedded

you're welcome!

edit: haha i spelled you're as your! lolol, thanks!
Last edited by KeepitKind on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Are you URM?

jwilson56

New

Post by jwilson56 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:28 pm

KeepitKind wrote:it'll take some determination, but you are showing improvement on the LSAT. at this rate, you can prob get in ED at NWestern for class of 2021 (need about 20 pts at +2pts per test = 10 test administrations; 10 / ~ 3 per year + 2-3 yrs off in between to get over the 165 plateau).

it'll be worth it, as long as ur not living in baltimore in the meantime.

and whenever ur feelin a lil down and need some inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUlOAyQ ... r_embedded

your welcome!
ok, douchebag. "your" really cool. basic grammar, 101.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:30 pm

you can't even take the LSAT anymore since LSAC changed its policies. schools can no longer sponsor you

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:31 pm

$1.99 wrote:you can't even take the LSAT anymore since LSAC changed its policies. schools can no longer sponsor you
You can petition LSAC directly. But I think the OP's first test was long ago enough to render the point, moot.

He specifically stated that he's signed up for October.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KeepitKind

Bronze

Post by KeepitKind » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:39 pm

jwilson56 wrote:ok, douchebag. "your" really cool. basic grammar, 101.
my apologies, sir. I'm feeling quite frustrated with this whole process right now. I did well at my dream school this year but now I'm realizing it is still a long shot for me to land any kind of job that will make this whole mess worthwile both financially and by career trajectory. The school boasts "99% employment" with a $160k starting salary. Sure I should have investigated that claim more thoroughly, but I never grasped the sobering reality. As a young college student I had never dealt with personal finances or considered the difficulty of obtaining an "A" on a tough curve against other highly driven students.

My state of despair led me to make a disparaging response to your quest for admittance at a TTT/T. While it does not excuse my douchebaggery, please recognize that there are tons of more satisfying careers out there than low-level legal employment. I'm facing the toughest decision of my life whether to cut and run without a law degree from a good school and eat the already large loan payment or stick it out without much hope in sight. My inartful comment was meant to alert you to the fact that you should AVOID LAW SCHOOL in the current labor climate.

... or jus chalk me up as another JDU loser.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:47 pm

KeepitKind wrote:
jwilson56 wrote:ok, douchebag. "your" really cool. basic grammar, 101.
my apologies, sir. I'm feeling quite frustrated with this whole process right now. I did well at my dream school this year but now I'm realizing it is still a long shot for me to land any kind of job that will make this whole mess worthwile both financially and by career trajectory. The school boasts "99% employment" with a $160k starting salary. Sure I should have investigated that claim more thoroughly, but I never grasped the sobering reality. As a young college student I had never dealt with personal finances or considered the difficulty of obtaining an "A" on a tough curve against other highly driven students.

My state of despair led me to make a disparaging response to your quest for admittance at a TTT/T. While it does not excuse my douchebaggery, please recognize that there are tons of more satisfying careers out there than low-level legal employment. I'm facing the toughest decision of my life whether to cut and run without a law degree from a good school and eat the already large loan payment or stick it out without much hope in sight. My inartful comment was meant to alert you to the fact that you should AVOID LAW SCHOOL in the current labor climate.

... or jus chalk me up as another JDU loser.
Don't mean to pry into what I'm sure is already a painful subject but can you let us know more about why you think your prospects are so poor coming from a school that you say is good and following what you thought was a good first year?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:00 pm

I didn't read the thread, but I'd kind of like someone to talk me out of going to NYU.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:17 pm

depends on whether you have another school or can get into another school later.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”