What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jwilson56
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm

What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby jwilson56 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:53 pm

-
Last edited by jwilson56 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby ran12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:01 pm

I would just go to Baltimore. I'm assuming you didn't take the LSAT 3 times without adequate prep so in all likelihood, your score won't go up that much. You would need at least another 10 points to go to a good school with money. Since your parents are footing the bill, might as well take the plunge and see what happens.

jwilson56
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby jwilson56 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:05 pm

-
Last edited by jwilson56 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby Veyron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Don't go to law school.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Veyron wrote:Don't go to law school.


Well this post above is a bit brusque.

I would say OP should probably weigh the job prospects coming out of the U of Baltimore against the cost of attending there and then weigh that against his or her overall level of desire to become a lawyer as opposed to any other profession. Good luck to the OP.

jwilson56
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby jwilson56 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:22 pm

-
Last edited by jwilson56 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby Veyron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Veyron wrote:Don't go to law school.


Well this post above is a bit brusque.

I would say OP should probably weigh the job prospects coming out of the U of Baltimore against the cost of attending there and then weigh that against his or her overall level of desire to become a lawyer as opposed to any other profession. Good luck to the OP.


Same meaning, my way is clearer.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Retake & reapply.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 pm

jwilson56 wrote:Thanks, rocknroll. Hypothetically speaking, if I were able to increase my score by 10+ points, would it look really bad that it took me 4 times to do so?


I am in NO way an authority, but it is my understanding that many schools (even T14s) will judge you on your best LSAT performance. I would think though that you might want to write an LSAT addendum if you do bring up your score and reapply.

And again, NOT an authority here but for what it's worth I think you would have to gun for more like a 15+ increase with your GPA to get into a substantially stronger school. I think it's worth a try though if you're really committed.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Veyron wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Veyron wrote:Don't go to law school.


Well this post above is a bit brusque.

I would say OP should probably weigh the job prospects coming out of the U of Baltimore against the cost of attending there and then weigh that against his or her overall level of desire to become a lawyer as opposed to any other profession. Good luck to the OP.


Same meaning, my way is clearer.

Sometimes, while trying to persuade people to do the right thing, Occam's razor just doesn't cut it.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:51 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Veyron wrote:Don't go to law school.


Well this post above is a bit brusque.

I would say OP should probably weigh the job prospects coming out of the U of Baltimore against the cost of attending there and then weigh that against his or her overall level of desire to become a lawyer as opposed to any other profession. Good luck to the OP.


Same meaning, my way is clearer.

Sometimes, while trying to persuade people to do the right thing, Occam's razor just doesn't cut it.


You two are just too sardonic for me!

If OP really wants to be a lawyer, then why shouldn't he or she go for it? I would only hope that given OP's situation and current prospects, he or she would go forward in a way that was both informed and optimized for potential future success.

User avatar
drays917
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby drays917 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:13 pm

jwilson56 wrote:Thanks, rocknroll. Hypothetically speaking, if I were able to increase my score by 10+ points, would it look really bad that it took me 4 times to do so?


It would look no worse than a 151.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby dr123 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

keep the paralegal gig, sounds like a pretty good job.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:23 pm

dr123 wrote:keep the paralegal gig, sounds like a pretty good job.

Exactly. With all the evidence out there, you know that you are highly unlikely to find a decent job, let alone an attorney position. Don't throw away a good job for a TTT.
What about a part-time MBA? See if can get the gov to pay for it.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby cinephile » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Retake & reapply.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby Robespierre » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:17 pm

What does "mostly" footing the bill mean? Will you have to take on any debt? If so, how much?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby albanach » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:28 pm

If you're taking a prep course now, how long is it? If it's say ten weeks, you don't have time to study enough afterwards and take the October LSAT.

If you really want to do this, change your test date until December. Complete your course then start studying daily until test day.


Edit: misread this, you have already taken a course.

If your parents can contribute, ask for money for a private tutor, and use one through to November to work with you when you have identified your weakest areas. Spending an extra $1-2,000 on a tutor should easily be recouped through a higher LSAT getting you into a better school or getting more money.

If a course, study and tutoring can't get you into the 160s, perhaps law school isn't for you.

I'm presuming you have a half decent GPA?
Last edited by albanach on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:35 pm

The fact that you are asking for help means you probably already know this is a poor decision. You graduated from an Ivey and have interesting work experience, don't short change your future in order to avoid taking a 4 hour test.

jwilson56
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby jwilson56 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:25 am

-
Last edited by jwilson56 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jwilson56
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby jwilson56 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:32 am

-
Last edited by jwilson56 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

taxguy
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby taxguy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:39 am

How did you get into UB witha 151? I thought they wanted a few points more on the LSAT.

Frankly, I would keep the paralegal job. As for UB< it really isn't that bad for legal jobs in Maryland. Outside of Maryland, there is almost no hiring from UB.

Also, if you can get your LSAT up with tutoring just a few points (4-5), you would have a good shot for Maryland,which is not only much better ranked than UB, not only much better connected for jobs than UB,but is astonishingly several thousand dollars cheaper than UB.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby blsingindisguise » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 am

I would rather work at a Denny's than attend a T3 law school. I'm not kidding.

jwilson56
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby jwilson56 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:48 am

-
Last edited by jwilson56 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:52 am

jwilson56 wrote:
taxguy wrote:How did you get into UB witha 151? I thought they wanted a few points more on the LSAT.

Frankly, I would keep the paralegal job. As for UB< it really isn't that bad for legal jobs in Maryland. Outside of Maryland, there is almost no hiring from UB.

Also, if you can get your LSAT up with tutoring just a few points (4-5), you would have a good shot for Maryland,which is not only much better ranked than UB, not only much better connected for jobs than UB,but is astonishingly several thousand dollars cheaper than UB.


I don't know...it's like the 25th LSAT range, and my GPA is around 50th or a little higher.

I'm thinking it's time to start studying like there's no tomorrow for the October LSAT.

Maybe you didn't study as hard as you could for the first three times? There are great study guides on this site. You should read them over. Do you know your weaknesses? The LSAT is considered to be a learnable test, you have to put in the work though. There is no reason you should be getting a 151.

jwilson56
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: What to do?? (Talk me out of a T3)

Postby jwilson56 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:00 am

-
Last edited by jwilson56 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carasrook and 3 guests