Northwestern vs. GULC Job Prospects

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jrthor10

Northwestern vs. GULC Job Prospects

Postby jrthor10 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:17 pm

So I am taking the October LSAT and considering applying ED to one of these two schools. I realize that its hard to ask for advice on this considering I don't have a LSAT score yet, but for the sake of argument, I want to focus on which school has better job prospects right now. Also, for GULC, are employment prospects any different for part-time students who transfer into the program after their first year versus those students who were full-time from the beginning? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Real Madrid

Re: Northwestern vs. GULC Job Prospects

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Northwestern.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:21 pm

NU, no question. GULC has like 2000 students per class (yeah, I think it's like 600, but way too many in any case, and they take 100 transfers). But come back when you have scores.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:40 pm

I think it really depends on where you want to work. Job Prospects in NYC and Chicago are better at NU, but prospects in D.C. will be better at GULC.

Overall NU though.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:52 pm

There are job prospects in DC?

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:19 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:There are job prospects in DC?

Nope, none actually.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Also, for GULC, are employment prospects any different for part-time students who transfer into the program after their first year versus those students who were full-time from the beginning? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I transferred from the PT program after my first year. My experience was that employment prospects were equal (at least that was the case prior to the crash). To be honest, the PT transfer rarely came up. It did, however, come up at the interview firm I ended up working out. If anything, it was a good opportunity to gain some substantive legal experience and keep down the debt. It allowed me to avoid debt until my second year of school.

I think GULC gets an unfair rap on TLS (I'm biased, I know). There are a lot of students, but OCI is also commensurately massive. At least when I interviewed, it was the second largest OCI in the country by number of firms attending (after Harvard). I think NW is unquestionably better for Chicago, but I think they are pretty close when it comes to NYC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”