Pitt law a mistake? - want to practice on West Coast

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
scammedhard

Re: Pitt law a mistake? - want to practice on West Coast

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:16 pm

1. Is Penn at all generous with their aid? Penn is tremendously expensive compared to Pitt.

2. If I were to wait until my husband is done with residency, what type of jobs or activities would be help me remain a competitive candidate for law school? Apart from two years as a TA and various service projects I don't have any significant work experience.

3. Have any of you been in a similar situation, or have you known someone in a similar situation?

1. It depends on your numbers. Good numbers [for their HIGH standards] = lots of money, maybe even full-ride.

2. Do anything, it does not matter; what really matters the most are your LSAT and GPA. But since you are interested in law, why not work in that field so that you can gain more practical experience and see if it's something you'd really enjoy?

3. Yes. I waited for my wife to be done with her PharmD and subsequent residency. I think it all worked out much better for us, as a couple, in the long-run. I don't find this long-distance thing very positive for marriages; married couples, after all, get married to be together.

EDIT

If you do wait, and I think you should, make it clear to your husband that you are taking a hit for the team. Next time, he needs to sacrifice something for you so that you can go law school where you want.

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:27 pm

One of the most successful lawyers of all time who practiced in California for some time before he was disbarred was a Pitt Law grad. So there's hope. :lol:

ach24

Postby ach24 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:45 pm

ach24 wrote:FWIW, I received 14k from Pitt, and I was told by the Admissions Director it's the max award they give out.

If you went to school in DC, it's about 4.5 hours from Pbgh. I know people who have made this work (though, not while in law school). There are places in the middle. Cumberland, MD is almost dead center for both of you and would be 2 hours for each.

Asking a resident to drive for 2 hours after a long-shift is not feasible.

EDIT: And what about gas and car expenditures for 2 cars driving 4 hours each almost everyday?

wardboro

Postby wardboro » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:53 pm

How much do you want to practice law? If you're just getting the JD as a credential, then going to Pitt for free isn't totally insane. Do you anticipate that both of you will be full-time working professionals for your whole career? If you want to go far in law, you'll need a better degree--esp. on the West Coast. If you want to do family law or something as a solo or in a small shop, Pitt isn't an insane option.

I don't think a three year separation during law school is going to do your marriage any good. You have to evaluate what value you place on that relative to your career goals. If you want sexy public interest or biglaw, then it's gonna be an uphill battle coming out of Pitt. If you have more modest aspirations, you can carve out a legal career with a Pitt degree.

danteamante

Postby danteamante » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 pm

scammedhard wrote:
ach24 wrote:FWIW, I received 14k from Pitt, and I was told by the Admissions Director it's the max award they give out.

If you went to school in DC, it's about 4.5 hours from Pbgh. I know people who have made this work (though, not while in law school). There are places in the middle. Cumberland, MD is almost dead center for both of you and would be 2 hours for each.

Asking a resident to drive for 2 hours after a long-shift is not feasible.

EDIT: And what about gas and car expenditures for 2 cars driving 4 hours each almost everyday?

I agree. It is not feasible for a resident who is already working 80 weeks to commute. However there is a train from DC to Pitt, so it reasonable that we could see each other on weekends. From what I have read, Georgetown is a great school with an emphasis on public interest. I hadn't considered DC at all before this post.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:03 pm

FWIW, I have seen married couples try to do the "let see one another every weekend" thing, and in most cases these stories do not have a happy ending. Somehow, being married is just different than simply dating.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:11 pm

scammedhard wrote:FWIW, I have seen married couples try to do the "let see one another every weekend" thing, and in most cases these stories do not have a happy ending. Somehow, being married is just different than simply dating.

I agree. No offense, but I honestly can't believe you're considering going to law school in DC while your husband is in residency in Pit. I obviously don't know the dynamics of your relationship, but if that's the case, I don't understand the point of being married.

danteamante

Postby danteamante » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:26 pm

I agree. No offense, but I honestly can't believe you're considering going to law school in DC while your husband is in residency in Pit. I obviously don't know the dynamics of your relationship, but if that's the case, I don't understand the point of being married

Well, that is a little bit below the belt. And it is always amusing that "no offense" always precedes something that is meant to be offensive. You can judge me once you've been in my shoes.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:31 pm

It's better than going to Pitt with borderline T14 stats....

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:32 pm

I think the distance thing totally depends on the dynamic of each relationship. You two did it for a while and it appears to have worked out just fine. I did the weekends thing and it was ok. I have a buddy that has been with the same girl for like three or four years and they have only lived in the same place for a few months and they are ok. I realize dating is different than being married but I'm just saying some couples make it work just fine. I think it has to do with some combination of maturity and confidence. I think if you have a train your can take on the weekends (DC to Pitt) that would work out pretty good, you could study etc. Driving all that time would make me crazy.

Edit: plus you can try to get SA gigs in Pitt so there's 3-4 months together per year.

Edit2: between weekends, summer, winter/fall/spring breaks you might be together as many days over the course of the year as you are apart

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:46 pm

How old are you? There is no harm waiting a few years for law school. With your practice LSAT, you can probably get in the mid 170s, which will make you competitive for Harvard/Stanford, and will yield a lot of money at Penn. Law schools absolutely do not care what you do before law school or how long of a gap you have (its not like med school at all in that regard).

danteamante

Postby danteamante » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:56 pm

rayiner wrote:How old are you? There is no harm waiting a few years for law school. With your practice LSAT, you can probably get in the mid 170s, which will make you competitive for Harvard/Stanford, and will yield a lot of money at Penn. Law schools absolutely do not care what you do before law school or how long of a gap you have (its not like med school at all in that regard).

I'm 24. So waiting is an option I suppose...

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:07 pm

danteamante wrote:
rayiner wrote:How old are you? There is no harm waiting a few years for law school. With your practice LSAT, you can probably get in the mid 170s, which will make you competitive for Harvard/Stanford, and will yield a lot of money at Penn. Law schools absolutely do not care what you do before law school or how long of a gap you have (its not like med school at all in that regard).

There will be a huge difference in your legal career if you choose to wait and attend a top-10 school (again, very different from med school), and if you're not in it for the money there isn't a lot of opportunity cost for you to do so.

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:16 pm

My question to OP would be what do you think your relationship will be like when you and your husband are both done with school. I do not know what kind of doctor your husband is training to become, but it will most likely have demanding hours. If you two plan on raising a family, having you work as a lawyer (one with clients and obligations, not one that does contract work here and there) while your husband works as a doctor is probably not the best idea.

I do not mean to question your decision or ability to make it work. I simply believe that you should look towards the future and ask whether $100+k is worth it if you are going to end up raising a family anytime soon.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:22 pm

rayiner wrote:
danteamante wrote:

There will be a huge difference in your legal career if you choose to wait and attend a top-10 school (again, very different from med school), and if you're not in it for the money there isn't a lot of opportunity cost for you to do so.

+1

Peekay80

Postby Peekay80 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm suprised most people haven't jumped on you about not having a real test score yet. TLS must be slipping.

But, I'd say, if you are comfortable waiting three years, then wait. Otherwise, GULC, UPENN (Don't forget Michigan, not much further than the other two from PITT) are great schools with national reach and ultimately getting you back to CA.

And doing the commute relationship thing is entirely a personal choice filled with pros/cons for every couple. I don't think anybody but the OP could adequately assess how their relationship would survive.

Good luck, hopefully it all works out for you.

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:37 pm

I would wait. Job market will likely be quite a bit better in three years. Get the LSAT done now and just wait it out. Shit, you have 3 years to try and get a 180 if you really want to put the effort into it.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Wait till you can apply to schools in California. Or see if your husband and you can work out a living arrangement that allows for his residency in Pittsburgh while you attend Penn. This might be kind of brutal, but is the only palatable situation I can see you attempting if you want to go to law school before your husband finishes residency.

If you wait, seek out work with some public interest groups, this will build your credibility and make it easier to get a PI job as a lawyer after you graduate a law school other than Pitt.

danteamante

Postby danteamante » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! Your comments have been helpful. I have decided not to apply at all to Pitt law and discuss the option of Penn/Georgetown/Michigan with my husband. In the meantime I will focus on my LSAT and perhaps finding work with a public interest.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:39 am

A Pitt degree will have trouble getting you west of Erie, much less all the way to California.

shastaca

Postby shastaca » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:09 am

Pitt aid broken down to per class
227 students
86 less than half
31 half to full
2 full tuition
2 more than full tuition
--LinkRemoved--

meaning they are not liberal with aid.

the California state bar has one of the best web sites around, you can check their data and see how many attorney's come from out of state. A surprisingly high percentage. The question really is do you want your entry into the California market to be with a so so JD. After you've been working for a few years, most law schools don't matter much for your legal reputation. In California, USC, UCLA and Boalt, maybe Hastings, stand out above the crowd for longer than most. Obviously the national schools do too.

27 is not old to be going to law school. A job in a field your interested in other than law, perhaps with dealing with some legal issues will serve you well in the future.

I'd wait get back to California and commute to the best school you can get to wherever you land.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:12 am

danteamante wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone! Your comments have been helpful. I have decided not to apply at all to Pitt law and discuss the option of Penn/Georgetown/Michigan with my husband. In the meantime I will focus on my LSAT and perhaps finding work with a public interest.

Good call. I'd say with those stats and the fact that in 3 years your husband will be a legit doctor, a T14 in your market area is the best bet. It'll open up more opportunities and with a doctor's income and shared household it'll help curtail the costs of LS.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:56 pm

Am I the only one who thinks this conversation is moot until we get a real LSAT score? For all we know, Pitt may end up being OP's only option.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”