Entertainment/Sports Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby makthadon7 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Are there any schools that are recommended in particular for Entertainment and/or Sports Law?

Also, if one is interested in this type of work, would it be better to go to a much higher ranked school that may not specialize in this type of law or to go to one of these aforementioned schools?

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby scammedhard » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Use the "search" function. This silly question has been discussed ad nauseam.

User avatar
Bronx Bum
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:57 pm

You should be more concerned with getting ANY law job.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Marquette for sports law.

Edit: Actually, I'm sure there are higher-ranked schools that have this.
Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby makthadon7 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:58 pm

scammedhard wrote:Use the "search" function. This silly question has been discussed ad nauseam.


I tried to use the "search" function. Couldn't find anything....wanna help with some brief advice instead?

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby makthadon7 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:You should be more concerned with getting ANY law job.


yea.....that just isn't my question dude.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:09 am

makthadon7 wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:You should be more concerned with getting ANY law job.


yea.....that just isn't my question dude.

That's right, you silly "Bronx Bum." It's clear that getting a job is not the most prominent issue for 0Ls. Without them, how could law schools keep flooding the market with more and more lawyers while charging 50K per year in tuition alone? "Entertainment law", whatever that is, is very important; jobs, not so much.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:20 am

scammedhard wrote:
makthadon7 wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:You should be more concerned with getting ANY law job.


yea.....that just isn't my question dude.

That's right, you silly "Bronx Bum." It's clear that getting a job is not the most prominent issue for 0Ls. Without them, how could law schools keep flooding the market with more and more lawyers? "Entertainment law", whatever that is, is very important; jobs, not so much.

You just watch, scammedhard. I'm going to be the next LA Power Lawyer, representing the most popular screwed-up actors and actresses, living in luxury, and eating sushi every goddamn day. There is no way in hell you'll see me doing doc review for ten hours a day in some dusty basement, no siree!

makthadon7 wrote:would it be better to go to a much higher ranked school that may not specialize in this type of law or to go to one of these aforementioned schools?

Much, much better.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:22 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:You just watch, scammedhard. I'm going to the next LA Power Lawyer, representing the most popular screwed-up actors and actresses, living in luxury, and eating sushi every goddamn day. There is no way in hell you'll see me doing doc review for ten hours a day in some dusty basement, no siree!

I just hope you don't get scammed hard...

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby makthadon7 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 am

scammedhard wrote:
makthadon7 wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:You should be more concerned with getting ANY law job.


yea.....that just isn't my question dude.

That's right, you silly "Bronx Bum." It's clear that getting a job is not the most prominent issue for 0Ls. Without them, how could law schools keep flooding the market with more and more lawyers while charging 50K per year in tuition alone? "Entertainment law", whatever that is, is very important; jobs, not so much.


I realize that getting a job is the most important goal. However, I started the thread for a particular reason, and that was to find out specifically about employment in this sector of law.

It's not that hard to understand.

If you want to bitch and moan about how getting a job is so hard and life is so tough and unfair, then you are more than welcome to do so. It just doesn't relate to the question posed in the start of the thread.

lakerfan
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:48 am

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby lakerfan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 am

Proskauer has one of the most renowned sports law practice groups. Here is what they have to say about sports law:

"How about sports law? Sounds like fun, doesn’t it? It can be. And we should know; we practically invented the practice. But here’s a secret - there is no such thing as sports law. It’s really a compilation of litigation and labor and tax and media law and construction and licensing and financing and antitrust and intellectual property and ADA compliance"

http://www.proskauer.com/about-us/why-us/

Go to the best school to which you are accepted. If its a toss-up between Uchi and NYU, sure, go to NYU. Vandy and UCLA? Fine, UCLA. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and give yourself as many options as you can.

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby makthadon7 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 am

makthadon7 wrote:would it be better to go to a much higher ranked school that may not specialize in this type of law or to go to one of these aforementioned schools?

Much, much better.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 am

scammedhard wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:You just watch, scammedhard. I'm going to the next LA Power Lawyer, representing the most popular screwed-up actors and actresses, living in luxury, and eating sushi every goddamn day. There is no way in hell you'll see me doing doc review for ten hours a day in some dusty basement, no siree!

I just hope you don't get scammed hard...

... he said as he tipped his cowboy at me.

Cue the Spaghetti-Western themed exit music.

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby makthadon7 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 am

lakerfan wrote:Proskauer has one of the most renowned sports law practice groups. Here is what they have to say about sports law:

"How about sports law? Sounds like fun, doesn’t it? It can be. And we should know; we practically invented the practice. But here’s a secret - there is no such thing as sports law. It’s really a compilation of litigation and labor and tax and media law and construction and licensing and financing and antitrust and intellectual property and ADA compliance"

http://www.proskauer.com/about-us/why-us/

Go to the best school to which you are accepted. If its a toss-up between Uchi and NYU, sure, go to NYU. Vandy and UCLA? Fine, UCLA. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and give yourself as many options as you can.


Awesome. Thanks Lakerfan for the feedback. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

BTW, I HATE the lakers....sorry!

rangers0412
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby rangers0412 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 am

go to the same school ari gold went to obviously

lakerfan
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:48 am

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby lakerfan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:36 am

No problem, the same holds true for entertainment law, btw (says rising 2L preparing for firm interviews). Probably fewer antitrust issues.

Your hate (based solely on where you were born and/or raised) is nothing to be sorry about. Without it, who the hell would care about the Lakers.

I'm guessing you root for the U.S. Me too. It's all good.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 am

rangers0412 wrote:go to the same school ari gold went to obviously

J.D./M.B.A. at the University of Michigan?

The best advice in this thread is about a fictional character.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby NoleinNY » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 am

Not counting the Big Law route, entertainment law is very much who you know. I've met recent grads from T6 to Loyola to Southwestern to Abraham Lincoln(!) in good entertainment law gigs. Got their gig through people they knew.

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby Shammis » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:12 am

For what its worth....

I work at a production company right now. My bosses have done Big Production company and Big Agency work for over 20 years - both came from BigLaw. They say go to the highest ranked school you can. Go into BigLaw, worry about lateraling over later...Pepperdine is supposed to have a well respected Entertainment/Sports law program, when I told them that they replied with "Really? interesting"...not that they dont regard it as a decent school, but niches dont matter really. Go to the best school you can and work your ass off. Going because they have a specialization in Bird Law is ridiculous. hth

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby makthadon7 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:23 am

jstubbs wrote:For what its worth....

I work at a production company right now. My bosses have done Big Production company and Big Agency work for over 20 years - both came from BigLaw. They say go to the highest ranked school you can. Go into BigLaw, worry about lateraling over later...Pepperdine is supposed to have a well respected Entertainment/Sports law program, when I told them that they replied with "Really? interesting"...not that they dont regard it as a decent school, but niches dont matter really. Go to the best school you can and work your ass off. Going because they have a specialization in Bird Law is ridiculous. hth


Interesting...thanks for the advice, especially from real-world experience.

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby Shammis » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:24 pm

To follow up also...

A lot of Entertainment/Sports law is simply employment law in those industries. Even if your top school doesn't have "Entertainment Law" they will have labor law and tax law - both of which are important for this niche. My boss started out in Labor Law at a V100 firm in NYC then came out to LA after working with some of the guilds. Another entertainment lawyer I know (but have not worked for) went to American, worked on the hill with the MPAA and BET Entertainment, then came out to LA after. There are more than a few ways to break in, you just have to network - and that starts by going to the best school you can. hth.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Best school you can --> best firm you can-->lateral into sports/ent. law. Or if you know someone then step 1--> step 3.

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby uzpakalis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:06 pm

Vandy has a pretty good entertainment/sports law program.

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:11 pm

makthadon7 wrote:Are there any schools that are recommended in particular for Entertainment and/or Sports Law?

Also, if one is interested in this type of work, would it be better to go to a much higher ranked school that may not specialize in this type of law or to go to one of these aforementioned schools?


HYS.

Norwood
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Entertainment/Sports Law

Postby Norwood » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:55 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
makthadon7 wrote:Are there any schools that are recommended in particular for Entertainment and/or Sports Law?

Also, if one is interested in this type of work, would it be better to go to a much higher ranked school that may not specialize in this type of law or to go to one of these aforementioned schools?


HYS.


This.

In other words, go to the best school you can get into. Don't be fooled by schools that claim they have a "program." It would be silly to think going to Loyola for its entertainment law program over a general legal education at Berkeley will give you a better opportunity to break into the field.

If you're in a situation where you have to choose between UCLA and Vandy then I would assume that being in LA will give you more opportunities to network in the field.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chasima, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests