Chapman$$ vs. Pepperdine Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Chapman $$ or Pepperdine Sticker

Chapman$$
47%
Pepperdine
53%

Total votes: 15

Shammis

Chapman$$ vs. Pepperdine Sticker

Postby Shammis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Vote if you'd like...

Retake isn't an option. 70% Scholly at Chapman renewable if I stay Median or above. I've got some family help so Pepperdine isnt really "full" Sticker but Im still going to be taking out some loans. W/L at LLS.

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: Chapman$$ vs. Pepperdine Sticker

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Neither are very good options......

Pepperdine is out. No way is it worth sticker.

I would go to Chapman and be prepared to quit if you don't retain the scholarship money.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Really, neither. I honestly can't tell anyone to go to either of these schools. SoCal market is saturated enough.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:30 pm

What if I said I have solid employment prospects regardless...not guaranteed, but pretty damn close. Im just worried about Chapmans reputation...Pepperdine has a much better rep. in LA but would cost more...

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:32 pm

jstubbs wrote:What if I said I have solid employment prospects regardless...not guaranteed, but pretty damn close. Im just worried about Chapmans reputation...Pepperdine has a much better rep. in LA but would cost more...

I don't think Pepperdine has the kind of prestige that makes it worth sticker. I don't see firms being impressed with your Pepperdine degree, though it would have more layman prestige in a bar in so-cal.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:32 pm

If it's not guaranteed then I wouldn't bank on it. You never know what's going to happen in the next 3 years.

And even if it was guaranteed, why would you care about reputation? Go to the lower ranked, lower costing school so you minimise debt.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote: why would you care about reputation
Portability down the road. Thanks for your replies by the by. The reason I'm considering Pepperdine is if this job isnt here for me when I graduate, Pepperdine does offer much better employment than Chapman - and Don't worry I do fully understand what the market is like and do not take it for granted.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Pepperdine still doesn't offer very good employment options though. And since you're pretty much not going to get big law out of either school, I would take the money at Chapman. It's going to be difficult to pay off that much debt from Pepperdine.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:41 pm

...Man I hope that job is still on the table then...lol.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Pepperdine, for sure. If you don't believe me, ask some experienced lawyers around town. The school you graduate from is more important than you realize right now. I do not see Chapman competing with Pepp/LLS anytime soon.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks Dante...honestly I dont ever see it competing b/c of LS saturation. Most ppl (Practicing Attorneys) have told me to go to Pepperdine...writing that check isnt so easy though. How hard did you bust your ass to Transfer? I know not to count on it, but the hope is to transfer from either school anyway.

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Questions comparing dissimilar schools should not be asked here. There is zero value in getting the opinion of a 0L who will have no hiring authority any time within the next ten years, if ever.

If you have a "job opportunity," why not ask that opportunity what they think. If you can't approach them because you don't have that great of a relationship, then I can guarantee you that you don't have the "opportunity."

I do not consider Chapman law a worthwhile endeavor. I do not consider Pepperdine law as a smart decision without $. However, if you feel compelled to go to either, you should go to Pepperdine. It's quality of instruction and prestige are far superior to those presented by Chapman--although that's not saying much.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:03 pm

They have said they would go to Pepperdine if they were me, but they understand about the money issue and wouldnt judge me negatively if I went down to Chapman (conversations like that lead me to believe they will hire me especially since they want me to come back for a 1L paid gig).

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:10 pm

jstubbs wrote:They have said they would go to Pepperdine if they were me, but they understand about the money issue and wouldnt judge me negatively if I went down to Chapman (conversations like that lead me to believe they will hire me especially since they want me to come back for a 1L paid gig).

They said they would go to Pepperdine given the decision, that has to be telling.

With regards to you wanting to transfer which is troublesome with regards to your understanding of reality: you'll probably end up in a similar ranking position at either school which makes Pepperdine a no-brainier due to its higher ranking and thus better transfer prospects.

My final advice for this thread: Seriously ask yourself if you can handle graduating without a job, with $100k of debt after family contributions, and with a below-median ranking. If you are content with that, go to Pepperdine; if not, do not go to either.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 pm

LOL
RCRARollin wrote:With regards to you wanting to transfer which is troublesome with regards to your understanding of reality
Having a goal to transfer up is never a bad thing. I never said I was depending on it silly goose. But thanks for your advice, I'm prob. heading to Pepperdine given what my employers have told me, TLS' infinite wisdom, and what other practacing lawyers have told me. It's just hard to walk away from free money. (Plus if I don't get hired out of LS I can fall back on my job right now so all is not lost - just 100k lol (depressing).

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:13 pm

If you do well enough at Pepperdine to transfer to UCLA or USC, staying could very well be the better option. Pepperdine is a good enough school, where if you are at the top of your class, not many doors will be closed to you. You can expect, however, to fall somewhere near the median, and that rank at Pepperdine will get you more places than top quarter at Chapman.

total_loss

Postby total_loss » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Congrats again on your acceptances and scholarship. Employment prospects are dim at both schools, but the idea that top 50% at Pepperdine "will get you more places" than Chapman top 25% is absolute fallacy. You're going small/small-mid law in either position, of course with exceptions. If you have a job lined up, then you probably aren't as concerned about placement.

Though Pepperdine currently enjoys better lay name recognition, most prospective students don't consider the fact (or just don't know) that Pepperdine has been a bottom feeder for the overwhelming majority of its existence. Until around 5-6 years ago, Pepperdine enjoyed a USNWR rank very similar to Chapman's current slot. At least consider that Pepperdine is still polishing its reputation.

Are you absolutely certain you will attend one of these schools? If so, limit your debt. Otherwise, don't go to either.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:08 pm

In 10 years, you will thank yourself for having gone to the better school.
I think total_loss is overly concerned about the short term.
At least Pepperdine has executed its strategy.
Chapman had every opportunity to rise in the rankings and has largely failed.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:54 pm

Too many law schools in CA. Don't go unless you can get into, at the very least, UCLA/USC. Seriously. You're better off taking that huge sum of money, driving to Vegas, and laying it down on black 17.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”