Duke at sticker (with money saved up)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
buckilaw

Re: Duke at sticker (with money saved up)?

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:07 am

Real Madrid wrote:Actually, Michigan and Duke are pretty much tied as my favorites. I'll be teaching in Spain through the middle of next summer, though, so I can't ED Michigan (required summer start), and I'm afraid if I don't ED to either I'll strike out entirely.

Thanks for the responses so far. Please keep them coming! :D

You might not need to be too worried about paying sticker at Duke or Michigan. There is a Michigan poster who was accepted ED with stats similar to yours who was awarded some merit money. I think Beachbum received merit aid from Duke even though he applied ED.

If you are struggling to pick between the two let me say that Summer Start at Michigan is awesome.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:17 am

Real Madrid wrote:
glewz wrote:Essentially paying sticker right? The annuity can be used for other things?

Well, yes, but if I'm 210k in debt, I think I should probably use it to start paying off loans. Don't you?

Oh I totally agree. I wonder though whether some posters are treating your situation as 130k total cost (when in fact you would be paying sticker) versus Bama full ride. I dunno very much about Bama prospects, but I'm just putting forth that comment for clarity.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:41 am

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, I would essentially be paying sticker at Duke (assuming I got nothing) with 80k saved to start paying it off. No idea what, if any scholarship I'd get at Bama with these stats.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:39 am

Real Madrid wrote:Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, I would essentially be paying sticker at Duke (assuming I got nothing) with 80k saved to start paying it off. No idea what, if any scholarship I'd get at Bama with these stats.

You would almost certainly get a full ride, maybe a stipend. It would be worth looking into.

marklg89

Postby marklg89 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:54 am

OP, I was accepted into Mich (and attending) with 3.77/169 and slightly above average softs. I was also fortunate enough to receive a decent scholly. I applied late October, so if you send in your app as soon as they become available I think that you may stand a pretty good chance.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:01 am

Deuce wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:also, if you are thinking about t-14 in the south, uva still throws money to early decision people- so they might be the better choice.

Still below both medians, likely WL

I think you're better off trying to ED at UVA on day 1 and then going for Duke if you get the WL. The turn around at UVA is so quick (<2 weeks) that it won't have any effect on your admissions chances at Duke. UVA is a better school, is still southern, and is cheaper.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:12 am

bdubs wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:also, if you are thinking about t-14 in the south, uva still throws money to early decision people- so they might be the better choice.

I think you're better off trying to ED at UVA on day 1 and then going for Duke if you get the WL. The turn around at UVA is so quick (<2 weeks) that it won't have any effect on your admissions chances at Duke. UVA is a better school, is still southern, and is cheaper.

In what regard is UVA a better school? USNWR? Job prospects and admission standards are the same. UVA is not cheaper, their non-resident tuition is $800 more then duke. Duke has the second lowest COA in the t14, the first is michigan. Not to say that this difference matters much, it just isn't a pro for UVA. In addition UVA is really pushing the definition of southern. I don't think the OP mentioned wanting a southern school so that doesn't matter. Anyways, more importantly, OP, go visit the schools you are considering ED'ing to. There are differences between them, if you want UVA over Duke then ED there, but don't just do it to facilitate ED apps to multiple places.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:25 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Deuce wrote:

In what regard is UVA a better school? USNWR? Job prospects and admission standards are the same. UVA is not cheaper, their non-resident tuition is $800 more then duke. Duke has the second lowest COA in the t14, the first is michigan. Not to say that this difference matters much, it just isn't a pro for UVA. In addition UVA is really pushing the definition of southern. I don't think the OP mentioned wanting a southern school so that doesn't matter. Anyways, more importantly, OP, go visit the schools you are considering ED'ing to. There are differences between them, if you want UVA over Duke then ED there, but don't just do it to facilitate ED apps to multiple places.

Peer schools are peer schools brah. Firms in Bama love UVA just as much they love Duke, and they love both of them a lot more than Bama (even Vandy). Although they are both a lot more expensive than a full ride to UA.

I think an ED to UVA on day one might be worth it, assuming he would be OK with UVA at sticker. Since OP is hardly a lock at either school, the chance to ED at 2 schools could be a real benefit.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:37 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Deuce wrote:

UVA places better in NLJ 250, Atlanta is one of its top 3 placement markets (according to its website), it faired better during the downturn (less layoffs and no offers, according to LST), and it does better in terms of high profile clerkships (COA, supreme court, etc.)

You're right on the tuition front though, I was conflating resident and non-resident tuition.

Not saying UVA is necessarily a better choice for everyone, its just that you get a bit more bang for your buck at UVA if you're paying sticker.
Last edited by bdubs on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:42 am

Save your money for a rainy day, and go to a school you can afford. If you do well, you can try to transfer to Duke after 1L.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:35 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Duke also loves high GPAs so those numbers will probably get you in. Are you opposed to going elsewhere for school? Michigan would be worth the app and places better than Duke.

People who say that Mich or UVA place better than Duke speak without knowing the facts. All three are peer schools meaning you should visit and decide which one you like most. I have yet to see any good stats that say that they are not peer schools in every respect of the word (clerkship and biglaw placement over the years).

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Any other thoughts? At this point I feel like Michigan is 1a and Duke is 1b, but I don't want to strike out at both! I'm thinking about emailing Michigan and asking them if they can ever relax the summer start requirement for ED if you have a prior commitment but KNOW that Michigan is your top choice, but I think I know what they'll say. :(

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Any other thoughts? At this point I feel like Michigan is 1a and Duke is 1b, but I don't want to strike out at both! I'm thinking about emailing Michigan and asking them if they can ever relax the summer start requirement for ED if you have a prior commitment but KNOW that Michigan is your top choice, but I think I know what they'll say. :(

I chose duke over michigan at just about equal cost. I would advise you to visit both before deciding where to ED. Job prospects are the same, and overall cost is very similar. Make sure you are choosing for fit and where you want to practice (assuming cost is the same), and not for this years ranking or because TLS says MVP>DNCG. Let me know if you want to know anything more about my decision between the two.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”