Duke at sticker (with money saved up)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Real Madrid

Silver

Duke at sticker (with money saved up)?

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:56 pm

I've been going back and forth on whether or not to ED this coming cycle, so I thought I'd pose a question to the great people on TLS. :mrgreen:

I'm sitting at a 168 (multiple LSATs) and a 3.82, so getting into Duke even with ED isn't a certainty. But I have about 80k in an annuity that matures soon that I could spend on law school, and a school like Duke would thus leave me with ~130k in debt after graduation (assuming I was accepted at sticker price). Is that a super risky thing to do, or is that a pretty manageable debt to leave a T14 with?

I'd like to do big law if possible, and have ties to Alabama (i.e. secondary market in Birmingham) if that didn't work out. Of course, I wouldn't mind PI if that was the only way to pay the bills with LRAP.

Advice?

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Duke at sticker (with money saved up)?

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Bama for free might be better than Duke at sticker if you don't mind Birmingham. Duke at sticker is risky, but not insane.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:59 pm

If you're worried about debt, there's always the full ride at bama option. Those options put you in the running for the dean's scholarship, which is guaranteed full tuition + $2000 / year. If you wouldn't mind Alabama and have ties, that could be a great a alternative to debt.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:05 pm

You never know what you might end up wanting to do or where you want to practice once you're done with law school. 130k of debt out of Duke is not insane. I would do it if I were you.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:09 pm

Duke also loves high GPAs so those numbers will probably get you in. Are you opposed to going elsewhere for school? Michigan would be worth the app and places better than Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:11 pm

130k is pretty good for a T14. If you want biglaw and don't mind NYC then I'd do it.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Actually, Michigan and Duke are pretty much tied as my favorites. I'll be teaching in Spain through the middle of next summer, though, so I can't ED Michigan (required summer start), and I'm afraid if I don't ED to either I'll strike out entirely.

Thanks for the responses so far. Please keep them coming! :D

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:27 pm

You really don't need ED to get either, but it would probably lock them in. I might just apply RD Michigan, Duke, Vandy, and Bama.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:28 pm

bk187 wrote:130k is pretty good for a T14. If you want biglaw and don't mind NYC then I'd do it.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:32 pm

I am going to duke for around ~130k (hoping to pay some of that down with a SA). It is expensive but no that much more then even some of the cheapest options. For instance I got into UF instate with 24k. Their tuition is something like 16k set to raise 15% each year. That plus cost of living at 19k a year means that Duke is costing around 50k more. As for duke vs. michigan. I chose duke over michigan at equal cost but they are both great schools and I wouldn't write of michigan because of the summer start. Check lsn for your chance but I think you stand a shot RD. That being said I would think carefully about your goals before you ED. What do you need a duke degree, as opposed to a cheaper one, for?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:34 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:You really don't need ED to get either, but it would probably lock them in. I might just apply RD Michigan, Duke, Vandy, and Bama.
~3.85 168 is pretty solid WL territory for Michigan, Duke and Vandy

Trust me

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:41 pm

duckmoney wrote:If you're worried about debt, there's always the full ride at bama option. Those options put you in the running for the dean's scholarship, which is guaranteed full tuition + $2000 / year. If you wouldn't mind Alabama and have ties, that could be a great a alternative to debt.

Take the 80k use it on COL and come out of law school virtually debt free.

Big chance at big law (bama dominates their big law market, no?) + 100% debt free= complete win?

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:42 pm

also, if you are thinking about t-14 in the south, uva still throws money to early decision people- so they might be the better choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:also, if you are thinking about t-14 in the south, uva still throws money to early decision people- so they might be the better choice.
Still below both medians, likely WL

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:43 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:I am going to duke for around ~130k (hoping to pay some of that down with a SA). It is expensive but no that much more then even some of the cheapest options. For instance I got into UF instate with 24k. Their tuition is something like 16k set to raise 15% each year. That plus cost of living at 19k a year means that Duke is costing around 50k more. As for duke vs. michigan. I chose duke over michigan at equal cost but they are both great schools and I wouldn't write of michigan because of the summer start. Check lsn for your chance but I think you stand a shot RD. That being said I would think carefully about your goals before you ED. What do you need a duke degree, as opposed to a cheaper one, for?

Does 130k include COL? Do not count on getting a summer associate job.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Big chance at big law (bama dominates their big law market, no?) + 100% debt free= complete win?
Just because a school dominates its market doesn't give someone a big chance at biglaw when you factor in the number of biglaw positions in that market each year compared to the number of kids at the school. Bama will definitely not give someone a big chance at biglaw.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:I am going to duke for around ~130k (hoping to pay some of that down with a SA). It is expensive but no that much more then even some of the cheapest options. For instance I got into UF instate with 24k. Their tuition is something like 16k set to raise 15% each year. That plus cost of living at 19k a year means that Duke is costing around 50k more. As for duke vs. michigan. I chose duke over michigan at equal cost but they are both great schools and I wouldn't write of michigan because of the summer start. Check lsn for your chance but I think you stand a shot RD. That being said I would think carefully about your goals before you ED. What do you need a duke degree, as opposed to a cheaper one, for?

Does 130k include COL? Do not count on getting a summer associate job.
Yes it does though I said approx. 130 (between 130 and 140 but should be much closer to 130). Obviously I am not counting on anything, like I said, just hoping.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 pm

OP: can you register for a stupid class and get an A to raise your GPA to 3.85- then you'd probably get into UVA.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Unfortunately, no. That's my LSDAS GPA after graduating this spring.

Does Cornell seem like a safe bet if I don't get UMich or Duke? I'm also thinking about applying day 1 for UMich and HOPING I get some notification from them before Duke would decide for ED.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Seems like you should be fine for Cornell if you apply very early.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Unfortunately, no. That's my LSDAS GPA after graduating this spring.

Does Cornell seem like a safe bet if I don't get UMich or Duke? I'm also thinking about applying day 1 for UMich and HOPING I get some notification from them before Duke would decide for ED.
I applied literally day 1 at umich and go a decision the day before thanksgiving. I got into cornell weekend too. That doesn't seem too late to ED but I wouldn't count on it. I would use lsn to try to see what money, if any, you are eligible for and then decide whether to ED or roll the dice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:04 pm

I just searched for people who used ED at Duke and one was accepted with a 167 and 3.83 and another was accepted with 166 and 3.83. The former got 8k/year. But there was also a 167, 3.9 that was WL before later being accepted.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Your chances at Duke will go up if you can demonstrate you're a good fit for Duke. Duke as a whole is all about team and things related to that sort of thing. Since you could go either way with Duke ED, your best chance is to demonstrate why you would fit in well at Duke in your application.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Essentially paying sticker right? The annuity can be used for other things?

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 pm

glewz wrote:Essentially paying sticker right? The annuity can be used for other things?
Well, yes, but if I'm 210k in debt, I think I should probably use it to start paying off loans. Don't you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”