Southwestern vs. Syracuse $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Southwestern
53%
Syracuse $
47%

Total votes: 15

yerlaw1

Postby yerlaw1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:30 pm

I got a little less than 1/3 tuition from Syracuse and no money from Southwestern. I am from So Cal myself and would like to ultimately work and stay in So Cal. Though Syracuse's rank is higher and has a better MBA program, (i want to get my JD/MBA) and has offered me money, would it be a better choice than the location of Southwestern and my desire to work and stay in the So Cal region?

ndirish2010

Re: Southwestern vs. Syracuse $

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Dear God, neither. You'd have to have at least 3/4 scholarship and a desire to live in Syracuse/Rochester/Binghamton to seriously consider Cuse. Southwestern at sticker? No, just no.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Dear God, neither. You'd have to have at least 3/4 scholarship and a desire to live in Syracuse/Rochester/Binghamton to seriously consider Cuse. Southwestern at sticker? No, just no.

If youre from socal, you will never have the latter half of those requirements.

Postby 071816 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 pm

It would most likely not be worthwhile to attend either of these schools without a full ride or close to it.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:57 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Dear God, neither. You'd have to have at least 3/4 scholarship and a desire to live in Syracuse/Rochester/Binghamton to seriously consider Cuse. Southwestern at sticker? No, just no.

Haha, +1. I'm from LI, but I've been upstate enough. Someone from CA would probably not adjust well.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:59 pm

yerlaw1 wrote:I got a little less than 1/3 tuition from Syracuse and no money from Southwestern. I am from So Cal myself and would like to ultimately work and stay in So Cal. Though Syracuse's rank is higher and has a better MBA program, (i want to get my JD/MBA) and has offered me money, would it be a better choice than the location of Southwestern and my desire to work and stay in the So Cal region?

Why don't you just get your MBA? Why law school?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

Haha, +1. I'm from LI, but I've been upstate enough. Someone from CA would probably not adjust well.
Im from western NY and still have no desire to live in any of those places.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:52 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

Im from western NY and still have no desire to live in any of those places.

I would love to live in skaneateles, buffalo/rochester not so much.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:54 pm

I'll give you that. Skan is nice. So are Manlius and a couple other Cuse suburbs.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:58 pm

The thing about most of upstate NY, is that a lot of the nice parts having nothing to them. Theyre just blah.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 pm

bport hopeful wrote:The thing about most of upstate NY, is that a lot of the nice parts having nothing to them. Theyre just blah.

Depends on what kind of lifestyle you're looking for. Give me a house on the lake and a nice boat and I could be a very happy camper for the rest of my life. For people who need a lot of new and exciting things to stimulate them, WNY would be just awful.

bogart

Postby bogart » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:27 pm

I'll take all four seasons over an 80 degree christmas anytime. Upstate fall is amazing and there is plenty to do. Also, there is a world of difference culturally between western ny (buff, roch) and upstate (cuse, alb).

In the end I think all of you are right though, it depends on the person and what they are used to. socal and ny are very different places.

ClarDarr

Postby ClarDarr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:36 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I'll give you that. Skan is nice. So are Manlius and a couple other Cuse suburbs.

Being from the Syracuse area, I can tell you there are decent places to live (loving the respect that my burb got in this post). That said, there is virtually no legal market.

bogart

Postby bogart » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:53 pm

ClarDarr wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I'll give you that. Skan is nice. So are Manlius and a couple other Cuse suburbs.

Being from the Syracuse area, I can tell you there are decent places to live (loving the respect that my burb got in this post). That said, there is virtually no legal market.

The legal market in Syracuse is actually above average for a city of its size in this economy. This is not to say that it is thriving, merely that it is surviving.

I do agree that manlius and skaneateles are pretty sweet places to live.

ClarDarr

Postby ClarDarr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:10 pm

bogart wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:

The legal market in Syracuse is actually above average for a city of its size in this economy. This is not to say that it is thriving, merely that it is surviving.

I do agree that manlius and skaneateles are pretty sweet places to live.

Yeah, I agree, i was wrong to say there is no legal market at all. I just would not bank on my ability to crack it, were I to go to Syracuse.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:34 pm

You would have a far better chance to crack it if you were from the area and did well at a T14 I would think.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”