UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby makthadon7 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Hello All!

I'm a longtime lurker, but first time poster. It seems that the common conception around TLS is that UVA>>Northwestern>> GULC. While I see this in the rankings, they are all very close and in pretty much the same tier. I was wondering if people could give some feedback as to why UVA is considered much better, and then NU, followed by Georgetown. I am greatly considering these three schools, $ not an issue, and was wondering what the pros and cons are of all three. Please respond only if you are here to give feedback.

Thank you very much; I appreciate any information at all.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby scribelaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:55 pm

NU and UVA are both going to place better at median. Big advantage of having a smaller class size and not bringing on 100 transfers (which results in fewer interviews slots at OCI, etc.)

If you want Chicago or Midwest, go to Northwestern.

If you want DC, go to UVA or GULC.

UVA is a great school, which has a huge and loyal contingent on TLS. What kind of firm/clerkship/etc opportunities you have will mostly depend on how well you do your 1L year at any of these schools.

Really if money isn't an issue, all three are great choices. Go visit them and see which one you like best.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:04 pm

NU and UVA are peers. NU will do slightly better in Chicago, UVA will probably do better in the South (possibly DC as well but DC is really tough from everywhere). They are both seen as slightly better than GULC (though GULC may be better for government, possibly public interest work), the reason being is that it doesn't do as well because its primary market is very very tough to get into and GULC's class size is quite large. So at least on TLS it's more like UVA=NU>GULC.

Why is $ not an issue? Are you independently wealthy? Are your parents bankrolling you?

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby makthadon7 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 pm

bk1 wrote:NU and UVA are peers. NU will do slightly better in Chicago, UVA will probably do better in the South (possibly DC as well but DC is really tough from everywhere). They are both seen as slightly better than GULC (though GULC may be better for government, possibly public interest work), the reason being is that it doesn't do as well because its primary market is very very tough to get into and GULC's class size is quite large. So at least on TLS it's more like UVA=NU>GULC.

Why is $ not an issue? Are you independently wealthy? Are your parents bankrolling you?


Thanks for the insight. My parents are willing to pay for my law school education. They are by no means loaded, so in that regard of course I want to save them as much money as possible. However, they specifically told me to go where I feel is the best fit and provides for the best post-graduate opportunities, regardless of the cost.

It seems by both responses that UVA and NU are better because of their smaller class size, and easier job markets. NU being better for the north, with UVA being better for the south. I do realize that GULC is of course a great school as well, I just wanted to get feedback on why TLS gave me the impression that the other two were light-years ahead. Thanks for sharing.

mikey101
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby mikey101 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:05 am

makthadon7 wrote:It seems by both responses that UVA and NU are better because of their smaller class size, and easier job markets. NU being better for the north, with UVA being better for the south. I do realize that GULC is of course a great school as well, I just wanted to get feedback on why TLS gave me the impression that the other two were light-years ahead. Thanks for sharing.


Careful when you say "north." NU only probably has a slight advantage in the midwest/upper midwest. In the northeast (NYC, Philly, Boston) they are essentially peers, with an ever so slight nod possibly going to UVA.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:09 am

I would think NU's advantage in Chicago is sizable...is it really all self selection?

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby makthadon7 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:11 am

mikey101 wrote:
makthadon7 wrote:It seems by both responses that UVA and NU are better because of their smaller class size, and easier job markets. NU being better for the north, with UVA being better for the south. I do realize that GULC is of course a great school as well, I just wanted to get feedback on why TLS gave me the impression that the other two were light-years ahead. Thanks for sharing.


Careful when you say "north." NU only probably has a slight advantage in the midwest/upper midwest. In the northeast (NYC, Philly, Boston) they are essentially peers, with an ever so slight nod possibly going to UVA.


Awesome thanks for the distinction. I am mainly looking in for DC, NYC, and also the southeast (that is where I am from). Appreciate you clearing that up for me.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby IAFG » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:12 am

I got into all three and chose NU because it had a home market. I didn't have faith in UVA's placement in DC, thought I could get NYC as easily from both, and had the Chicago "home market" advantage if everything else fell apart.

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby makthadon7 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:19 am

IAFG wrote:I got into all three and chose NU because it had a home market. I didn't have faith in UVA's placement in DC, thought I could get NYC as easily from both, and had the Chicago "home market" advantage if everything else fell apart.


What about DC placement in terms of UVA vs. Georgetown?

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby tennisking88 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:24 am

makthadon7 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I got into all three and chose NU because it had a home market. I didn't have faith in UVA's placement in DC, thought I could get NYC as easily from both, and had the Chicago "home market" advantage if everything else fell apart.


What about DC placement in terms of UVA vs. Georgetown?


If you do well at both, you should have no problem at either. I would say you could get away with ranking a bit lower at UVA.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:25 am

tennisking88 wrote:
makthadon7 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I got into all three and chose NU because it had a home market. I didn't have faith in UVA's placement in DC, thought I could get NYC as easily from both, and had the Chicago "home market" advantage if everything else fell apart.


What about DC placement in terms of UVA vs. Georgetown?


If you do well at both, you should have no problem at either. I would say you could get away with ranking a bit lower at UVA.


Nobody has "no problem" at DC.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
makthadon7 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I got into all three and chose NU because it had a home market. I didn't have faith in UVA's placement in DC, thought I could get NYC as easily from both, and had the Chicago "home market" advantage if everything else fell apart.


What about DC placement in terms of UVA vs. Georgetown?


If you do well at both, you should have no problem at either. I would say you could get away with ranking a bit lower at UVA.


Nobody has "no problem" at DC.


Top 5% people at HLS?

makthadon7
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby makthadon7 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 am


Nobody has "no problem" at DC.


Top 5% people at HLS?[/quote]

Getting employment in DC is that hard? What is the reasoning for this over all large cities?

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby scribelaw » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:32 am

makthadon7 wrote:

Nobody has "no problem" at DC.


Top 5% people at HLS?


Getting employment in DC is that hard? What is the reasoning for this over all large cities?[/quote]

I think this was a joke, but the point is true-- DC firms are a lot more grade selective than NYC. A lot of people want to practice in DC and it's a smaller market.

Whether you go to UVA or Georgetown, you will need top quarter-type grades, and possibly higher if you're straight out of undergrad or your resume is not strong, to get a good DC BigLaw firm.

Most of my friends at Georgetown -- even with top 10 percent grades -- bid a mix of DC/NY because DC is just so risky.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. GULC

Postby rayiner » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 pm

makthadon7 wrote:

Nobody has "no problem" at DC.


Top 5% people at HLS?


Getting employment in DC is that hard? What is the reasoning for this over all large cities?[/quote]

DC really is that hard. The competition is insane. In terms of grade sensitivity, I'd say:

1) Wachtell ~= Williams & Connelly
2) Covington
3) Sullivan/Cravath ~= Arnold & Porter, WilmerHale
4) Davis Polk/Simpson Thacher/Cleary ~= Hogan Lovells, Sidley, Latham DC, Kirkland DC, etc
5) Skadden NY, Kirkland NY = rest of the V100 DC firms




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests