Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
artfuldodger23
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby artfuldodger23 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:29 pm

I recently decided to go to Northwestern Law School with a 32k scholarship over NYU on a 30k scholarship. Looking back I am kind of scared that I picked the wrong choice. The biggest reason why I decided to choose Northwestern was because that I wanted to stay in the Chicago area instead of New York. I am trying to get into corporate law and I realize I may have made a fatal mistake for turning down law school in the corporate capital of America. Should I have chosen NYU?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:31 pm

artfuldodger23 wrote: I am trying to get into corporate law and I realize I may have made a fatal mistake for turning down law school in the corporate capital of America. Should I have chosen NYU?


Yes. Sorry.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby Sentry » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:33 pm

No, the non T5 T13 schools are all pretty much peers.

/BruceWayne.

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Too late to switch I guess, so what's the point in worrying about it. Sucks, but just Move on and forward.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby kwais » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:36 pm

do you mean you wanted to stay in Chi for law school or for career?

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Sentry wrote:No, the non T5 T13 schools are all pretty much peers.

/BruceWayne.


Lolz. Huge difference between t5 and t6.

Honestly if you don't go to a t4, killself

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:38 pm

If you are still planning on doing Chicago for practice, you made the right choice.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby Sentry » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:41 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
Sentry wrote:No, the non T5 T13 schools are all pretty much peers.

/BruceWayne.


Lolz. Huge difference between t5 and t6.

Honestly if you don't go to a t4, killself

I saw someone on TLS use HYCol. as a tier...I almost threw up.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:48 pm

artfuldodger23 wrote:I recently decided to go to Northwestern Law School with a 32k scholarship over NYU on a 30k scholarship. Looking back I am kind of scared that I picked the wrong choice. The biggest reason why I decided to choose Northwestern was because that I wanted to stay in the Chicago area instead of New York. I am trying to get into corporate law and I realize I may have made a fatal mistake for turning down law school in the corporate capital of America. Should I have chosen NYU?


Did you already decline the NYU offer? Call them up and beg for your offer back. If not, just sit out a year and go to NYU.

If you want to do transactional law, NYU is probably the right bet with equal money. Though I wouldn't say the decision is fatal. When you account for the fact that NYU has double the class size and NU's top students are evenly split b/w Chicago and NYC, NU is actually quite well-represented at the top NYC firms.

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Sentry wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
Sentry wrote:No, the non T5 T13 schools are all pretty much peers.

/BruceWayne.


Lolz. Huge difference between t5 and t6.

Honestly if you don't go to a t4, killself

I saw someone on TLS use HYCol. as a tier...I almost threw up.


I personally prefer the Cooley Rankings: HCG (HLS Cooley GULC)

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:49 am

artfuldodger23 wrote:I recently decided to go to Northwestern Law School with a 32k scholarship over NYU on a 30k scholarship. Looking back I am kind of scared that I picked the wrong choice. The biggest reason why I decided to choose Northwestern was because that I wanted to stay in the Chicago area instead of New York. I am trying to get into corporate law and I realize I may have made a fatal mistake for turning down law school in the corporate capital of America. Should I have chosen NYU?


A surprising decision. Fine if you want to practice in Chicago, but not if you were hoping to work in NYC. Don't get me wrong, NU is great and a NYC job is still well within reach, but it's going to be harder.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:56 am

It is somewhat surprising that NU didn't offer more money if you got money from NYU. It seems like you need pretty high numbers to get anything from NYU, high enough that I would think NU would have offered a good amount more.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:04 am

dabbadon8 wrote:It is somewhat surprising that NU didn't offer more money if you got money from NYU. It seems like you need pretty high numbers to get anything from NYU, high enough that I would think NU would have offered a good amount more.


Yea, with a 3.9/173 (above 75% for each), I'm surprised NU didn't throw the kitchen sink your way. Although they are known to be pretty stingy with aid, NYU w/$ should have made them compete for you.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Regrets? Northwestern ($$$) over NYU ($$$)

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Sentry wrote:No, the non T5 T13 schools are all pretty much peers.

/BruceWayne.


I lol'd.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MikkelVilla, mtf612, tangers91 and 4 guests