New Mexican Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Veyron

Re: New Mexican Law

Postby Veyron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:11 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:I hiked to Havasupai some years ago, just after a major flood "lowered" the Falls a noticeable chunk. There have been floods since that altered the Falls even further. Nevertheless, I'm sure it's still worth the ten miles from Hilltop to the village.

Couple points:

-DO make a reservation. The last flood damaged their tourist facilities and I don't know how able they are to absorb unannounced guests.

-DO hike further down the canyon from the campground but DON'T try to reach the Colorado. Some folks have tried it at times and found that they couldn't scramble back up. Helicopter rescue is expensive.

-DO swim in the pools. FREEZING but lovely.

-DON'T use the horses/mules. You hiked IN, dammit, now hike OUT! :twisted:

I remember when my then-new wife and I emerged at Hilltop to be greeted by my '71 VW Bus, we had just one thing in mind; a large steak dinner in Flagstaff! Funny, though...fifteen years later, I've been climbing out of the Grand Canyon in all sorts of weather, no problem. The Havasupai Trail isn't SUPPOSED to be harder than Bright Angel, is it? A little longer, maybe, but much less vertical distance.

Oh, and are you going to visit the new visitor center on the rim? Where you walk out over the canyon on a glass-floored loop and stare DOWN? Brrrr!

Edit: I miss that old Bus, come to think of it.

I've done the new visitor's center. The arc thingy is cool but overall I think the south rim is much more epic.

Thanks for the advice, planning ahead isn't exactly something I/we do well where vacations are concerned, we're more of hey, got some time this weekend? Lets go! I'll have to make sure to check that impulse.
Last edited by Veyron on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Yeah...say, know anyone with a 71 Bus (not campmobile) for sale? :)

Since you will be in the neighborhood, you might consider visiting Chaco Canyon and Canyon de Chelly

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:40 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Yeah...say, know anyone with a 71 Bus (not campmobile) for sale? :)

Since you will be in the neighborhood, you might consider visiting Chaco Canyon and Canyon de Chelly

I've always wanted to do Canyon de Chelly. Apparently its closer than I thought.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:47 pm

I suggest you check out http://www.jdunderground.com

The people on there are actually practicing attorneys...they will give you the lowdown on your "plan".

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:57 pm

MTal wrote:I suggest you check out http://www.jdunderground.com

The people on there are actually practicing attorneys...they will give you the lowdown on your "plan".

Just do autoadmit, bro.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:00 pm

What. Autoadmit doesn't like Canyon De Chelly?

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Weird. MTAL suggest reading what "practicing attorneys" say about the plan.

BeautifulSW is an actual practicing attorney in NM, as well as many of individuals from NM here. The man Fails as usual.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:22 pm

I am indeed, for 25 years for which I recently received a depressing little certificate from the Bar Association. The certificate itself is attractive, you understand. It's what the certificate stands for that's depressing. :|

I do think that no one should incur more than about $50K in student loans for a non Top Three J.D. but there is work for new lawyers in the Southwest.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:15 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:I am indeed, for 25 years for which I recently received a depressing little certificate from the Bar Association. The certificate itself is attractive, you understand. It's what the certificate stands for that's depressing. :|

I do think that no one should incur more than about $50K in student loans for a non Top Three J.D. but there is work for new lawyers in the Southwest.

I don't know, my lowly T-14 degree seems to have significantly increased my earning potential *knock wood* even after my small house worth of loans are taken into account. This in spite of sold but by no means extraordinary accademic performance. Than again, the payscale is certainly not the same in all areas of the southwest!

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Glad to hear it! But as I say, I can speak only to the market where I am.

I hope, Veyron, that you don't end up on the East Coast permanently. I'd hate to see a clear-thinking, courteous, hard-working Westerner make his life with THEM. THe risk is serious, you know...you eat their food, breathe their air, drink their whiskey and eventually, your soul dies. :wink:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:54 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Glad to hear it! But as I say, I can speak only to the market where I am.

I hope, Veyron, that you don't end up on the East Coast permanently. I'd hate to see a clear-thinking, courteous, hard-working Westerner make his life with THEM. THe risk is serious, you know...you eat their food, breathe their air, drink their whiskey and eventually, your soul dies. :wink:

Well, it looks for now that I'll be coming back to the *clear throat* beautiful southwest though I suppose I'll have to cure myself of the lazy and discourteous habits I've acquired while living out here. According to my mother, they make me insuferable for the first few days until I re-ajust.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:10 pm

All I can say is "Listen to your mother!" :)

Actually, it might not be only that you are studying law in the East; law school everywhere has a similar effect. It's okay; the first few years of practice will beat it out of you.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Friday is the opening game of Lobos Basketball. I'm so excited. I got 4th row seats for the New Orleans game. :D

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Haven't been following this thread lately but stumbled across this and thought of OP:

http://www.waltherfamilylaw.com/firm-profile/

Seemingly successful New Mexico family law practitioner who graduated from Pace.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 pm

I am actually vaguely familiar with this firm and think very highly of them.

RyanJM

Postby RyanJM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:10 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:TX vs. N.Mex. Bar...

Texas, heaven bless them, allows NM lawyers to waive in after five years of practice experience. But that's ONLY if you haven't taken and failed the TX Bar! N.Mex. has reciprocity with no one. And the Texas Bar exam has a medium-nasty reputation whereas our Bar is tied with Montana as being the easiest in the country (last time I checked).. So conventional wisdom is to pass the NM Bar and work here for five years then waive into Tejas.

Funny thing, though...I've been eligible to waive into TX for decades and live right by the state yet I never seem to get around to it.

NM does have Pro Hac Vice and multijurisdictional practice rules. TX allows lawyers from any state with 5 + years of experience, and a host of other requirements: SPAM REMOVED

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Got offered an internship in the Farmington/San Juan County DA's office. Anyone know anything about the area/DA's office there?

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:44 pm

I pm'ed you but for the sake of the forum I'll just say that I think well of the Las Cruces DA's office and think you will enjoy your time there. You will also like Farmington if you are into Native American culture and/or are a serious outdoors type. A job offer is likely from both places at a salary that no one with $120,000 in student loans could afford to take. Fortunately, that's not you.

ghostofdreams

Postby ghostofdreams » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:05 pm

scrowell wrote:Got offered an internship in the Farmington/San Juan County DA's office. Anyone know anything about the area/DA's office there?

I would like to hear about how scrowell did with the internship in Farmington. After all this talk about practicing law in New Mexico, I'm incredibly interested in knowing.

This was a great discussion, btw, on New Mexico's seemingly idiosyncratic legal job market.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:36 pm

I wanted to contribute what I learned after a 1L and 2L summer job hunt in New Mexico and now a clerkship hunt.

First, I thought that choosing to go somewhere other than UNM would prevent me from great networking, but that in the long run I would be better off at a much better school. This was very, very wrong. In several different places in the state employers treat UNM like it’s Yale. There are a few judges who have a formal policy to only hire clerks from UNM, and it’s my understanding that’s the informal policy of the majority of the state judges. I’ve come across a couple reasons for this phenomenon, one of which is that graduates from other schools just don’t apply to NM firms/judges because there’s no way to pay off huge debt in NM. This leads judges/firms to get lazy and do their hiring exclusively through UNM. Also, lots of judges/hiring partners are UNM alumni and have a chip on their shoulder that they turned out just fine. Finally, lots of judges/partners are also adjuncts at UNM. This gives them a natural preference to hire their own students. At the end of the day, if I knew someone who was choosing a law school I would have them decide whether they want to work in NM or anywhere else before choosing a law school.

Second, the firms are all incredibly lifestyle-friendly. To my knowledge no firm requires more than 1800 billables in a year. But someone thinking about coming to NM has to know that they will never get paid anywhere close to what they’ll get in bigger markets.

Hope this is helpful to future generations.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Thinking about it...my State Trial Court's attorney staff is all UNM but if we ever fund a law clerk position I don't think we'd hold Yale against anyone. But yeah, a UNM degree is the best way to go in New Mexico for two reasons:

-if you go in-state, it's cheap enough that you can live on one of our tiny State salaries and

-the degree does receive preferential treatment from many employers.

But there are plenty of successful N.Mex. lawyers with degrees from all over the place.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 am

One other thought...New Mexico might be unique in its preference for graduates of the State law school but I'll bet we're not. Something to think about when perusing the USNWR rankings. In flyover country, anyway, those rankings might be a poor guide.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”