Indiana vs. Notre Dame

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NYCbound35

Re: Indiana vs. Notre Dame

Postby NYCbound35 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 pm

downstream wrote:
IUB gets doubly screwed with pre-ITE data. First, their ranking pre-ITE was not where it is today and they flat out were not recruiting the types of kids that go there now. So the reportable numbers from pre-ITE do not reflect the increased student body of ITE due to IU's big donation and rankings bump. It is not an apples to apples comparison.

You are now just assuming that IU-B's placement will miraculously jump up to reflect their new ranking. It is just as likely (with people putting more emphasis on the plight of recent law school grads) that USNews will change their methodology to further compensate for placement, and thus IU-Bs ranking will go down. WUSTL is not talked about in the same breath as Vandy/USC/UCLA because it places more like the UIUC/ND etc. Until IU-B starts placing like these other T25 midwest schools, they belong in a tier with schools like Cincinnati/Case etc.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:@RM: Are you joking? Public Ivy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

You may just be unfamiliar with the term and are attributing meaning that is inaccurate.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:54 pm

TommyK wrote:

You may just be unfamiliar with the term and are attributing meaning that is inaccurate.

Perhaps because it is a completely meaningless term. There is no such thing as a "public ivy." All eight Ivies are private schools. Though I'd imagine the past couple of years IU would have had trouble winning the Ivy League in basketball.

downstream

Postby downstream » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm

NYCbound35 wrote:
downstream wrote:
IUB gets doubly screwed with pre-ITE data. First, their ranking pre-ITE was not where it is today and they flat out were not recruiting the types of kids that go there now. So the reportable numbers from pre-ITE do not reflect the increased student body of ITE due to IU's big donation and rankings bump. It is not an apples to apples comparison.

You are now just assuming that IU-B's placement will miraculously jump up to reflect their new ranking. It is just as likely (with people putting more emphasis on the plight of recent law school grads) that USNews will change their methodology to further compensate for placement, and thus IU-Bs ranking will go down. WUSTL is not talked about in the same breath as Vandy/USC/UCLA because it places more like the UIUC/ND etc. Until IU-B starts placing like these other T25 midwest schools, they belong in a tier with schools like Cincinnati/Case etc.

I'm not assuming anything. I am just saying that you are comparing IUB to T25 schools from data at a time in which they were a T40 school which isn't quite apples to apples. I'm happy to draw you a diagram.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:01 pm

downstream wrote:
NYCbound35 wrote:
downstream wrote:

I'm not assuming anything. I am just saying that you are comparing IUB to T25 schools from data at a time in which they were a T40 school which isn't quite apples to apples. I'm happy to draw you a diagram.

+1

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:03 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Perhaps because it is a completely meaningless term. There is no such thing as a "public ivy." All eight Ivies are private schools. Though I'd imagine the past couple of years IU would have had trouble winning the Ivy League in basketball.

I don't understand your argument. First you said the term "public ivy" sucks, but IU doesn't fit the definition.

Now when provided with the definition, you say that public ivy doesn't even have a meaning.

I'm not advocating the worth of the term - but at least according to the person who coined the term, it's an institution that has high academic standards and has the look and feel of an ivy league school. At that point, the term I think very clearly has meaning. The reason IU would likely be considered a "public ivy" at the exclusion of even some of the schools you listed is probably more the aesthetic/feel of the school. If you've ever walked around the campus, it's pretty gorgeous. The buildings are limestone. It has ample campus green spaces, and it feels like it follows the oxbridge model which I think is archetypal of ivy league schools. But I realize this is far off scope of the thread, which is apparently bashing IUB - so go right ahead :)

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Haha, I am not an IU hater. I actually like the school quite a bit. I like Notre Dame more though :D

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:13 pm

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:16 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

c'mon brah! I already did that. :wink:

downstream

Postby downstream » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:19 pm

LOL at wikipedia. I can edit the SCOTUS page and make a hamster the Chief Justice (although probably for only a second).

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 pm

IU: B is gorgeous. I found it nicer than Notre Dame, but academically the LS is more respected for what it does than the UG is for what it does.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 pm

downstream wrote:LOL at wikipedia. I can edit the SCOTUS page and make a hamster the Chief Justice (although probably for only a second).

UVA, MICH, NC, BERKLEY, all these schools' UG are hardddd to get into. IU: B is easssssy.

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 pm

downstream wrote:
NYCbound35 wrote:
downstream wrote:

I'm really not trying to hate on the school; I'm sorry if it seems that way. I actually applied to IU-B because of their high ranking before I did my research and noticed their (lack of) east coast placement. With the huge scholarships that they are throwing around, it is a fantastic option for someone looking to work in Indianapolis or the surrounding cities. It is also probably better for Chicago then some of the Chicago T2s. I just see that someone like myself, had I not found TLS, would be going there expecting the job prospects of similarly ranked schools, and would have been greatly disappointed.

I hope that, for your guys sake, job placement eventually catches up to ranking for IU-B. You guys have the credentials of students attending other T30 schools, so y'all certainly deserve it.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Guarantee IUB is gonna end up shitting on ND in the rankings each of the next 10 years. Eventually they'll get more mobile.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Verity wrote:Guarantee IUB is gonna end up shitting on ND in the rankings each of the next 10 years. Eventually they'll get more mobile.

LOL. It won't matter how badly they "shit on us." It takes years and years to overcome the gap that existed. They will never be a superior school. Perhaps equal (like UofI) someday.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:46 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:IU: B is gorgeous. I found it nicer than Notre Dame, but academically the LS is more respected for what it does than the UG is for what it does.

Bloomington is nicer than South Bend by far...IU is not a nicer campus than ND.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:16 pm

downstream wrote:LOL at wikipedia. I can edit the SCOTUS page and make a hamster the Chief Justice (although probably for only a second).

Really? What a ridiculous point to argue.

Second university listed.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:31 pm

Yes, because the SUNY system has SO much in common with the Ivy League.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:36 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Verity wrote:Guarantee IUB is gonna end up shitting on ND in the rankings each of the next 10 years. Eventually they'll get more mobile.

LOL. It won't matter how badly they "shit on us." It takes years and years to overcome the gap that existed. They will never be a superior school. Perhaps equal (like UofI) someday.

What gap? The employment gap? We'll see. ND is pretty stingy with $$. If IUB keeps handing out $120K schollys, I wouldn't rule it out.

I think yours is an unrequited love issue, since they allegedly YP'd you.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Verity wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

What gap? The employment gap? We'll see. ND is pretty stingy with $$. If IUB keeps handing out $120K schollys, I wouldn't rule it out.

Haha, I really didn't care that IU YPed me...i got the WL letter a month after I deposited at NDLS. I am getting 20K/yr at NDLS.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Verity wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

Haha, I really didn't care that IU YPed me...i got the WL letter a month after I deposited at NDLS. I am getting 20K/yr at NDLS.

I dunno, you been trollin pretty hard against 'em

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:42 pm

All I said was:

1. IU is not on the same level as NDLS/WUSTL/UIUC
2. IU undergrad is not a "public ivy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Been to Assembly Hall and loved it, sweet campus (ours is still better), and great college town. Wouldn't have gone there with the 120K after I got my other offers.

Sorry if it seems like I've been anti-IU trolling.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:05 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:IU: B is gorgeous. I found it nicer than Notre Dame, but academically the LS is more respected for what it does than the UG is for what it does.

Bloomington is nicer than South Bend by far...IU is not a nicer campus than ND.

agree to disagree. IU: B had like nature trails on campus.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:16 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:All I said was:

1. IU is not on the same level as NDLS/WUSTL/UIUC
2. IU undergrad is not a "public ivy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Been to Assembly Hall and loved it, sweet campus (ours is still better), and great college town. Wouldn't have gone there with the 120K after I got my other offers.

Sorry if it seems like I've been anti-IU trolling.

NDLS is not on the same level as WUSTL or UIUC.
Confront the facts- IU undergrad is a public ivy, Notre Dame undergrad... has it's own football network.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:18 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Yes, because the SUNY system has SO much in common with the Ivy League.

You mad, bro?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”