W&L ($$) or ASU ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AZAsian

W&L ($$) or ASU ($)

Postby AZAsian » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:18 am

I just got accepted off the waitlist for both W&L and ASU. I was wondering if anyone could give me the pros and cons to either school or both.

I live in AZ. My entire family also lives in AZ. So, that's a personal plus for ASU. I know ASU has an "ok" presence here in the southwest, mostly in AZ.

I know very little about the presence of W&L.

For my career, I am looking to get into mid to big law or a business consulting firm.

Glock

Re: W&L ($$) or ASU ($)

Postby Glock » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:21 am

ASU for Arizona if you can get resident tuition, retake or W&L for anywhere else.

AZAsian

Postby AZAsian » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:42 am

Glock wrote:ASU for Arizona if you can get resident tuition, retake or W&L for anywhere else.

I can get resident tuition.

Not going to retake LSAT seeing as I've already taken it a couple times.

I'm not sure what you mean by "W&L for anywhere else"

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:01 am

It's pretty easy: if you don't want to live in Arizona and you won't retake, you should go to W&L. However, retaking would be the better option. If you don't want to, go to ASU and live in Arizona.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 am

W&L has a much greater reputation on the East Coast while ASU has no reputation on the East Coast. Past the Mississippi, W&L probably doesn't carry much weight but ASU carries little weight outside of AZ so the safer bet is W&L outside of AZ. For the type of law you want to do, I would say W&L is still the safer bet.

Bless

Postby Bless » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:37 am

W&L is a more prestigious law school, but if you want to stay out west, you should go to ASU. I'm assuming your CoA is going to be a lot cheaper at ASU, so I personally think ASU is your best bet. Stay close to home and minimize debt.

AZAsian

Postby AZAsian » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 pm

So, here's what I got so far. Say, if I went to W&L I would have a better opportunity to get into mid-big law, but no opportunity for business consulting.

If I went to ASU, I have the opportunity of getting a JD/MBA. The ASU MBA school is ranked top 30. But, ASU law lacks the attraction of most mid-big law.

AZAsian

Postby AZAsian » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:It's pretty easy: if you don't want to live in Arizona and you won't retake, you should go to W&L. However, retaking would be the better option. If you don't want to, go to ASU and live in Arizona.

I don't plan on taking it again because I've taken it 3 times with the highest being 165.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:07 pm

AZAsian wrote:So, here's what I got so far. Say, if I went to W&L I would have a better opportunity to get into mid-big law, but no opportunity for business consulting.

If I went to ASU, I have the opportunity of getting a JD/MBA. The ASU MBA school is ranked top 30. But, ASU law lacks the attraction of most mid-big law.

If you have a JD from a good school and become a successful lawyer, you can go into business consulting. A lot of business consultants don't have MBAs and getting a MBA from ASU is pointless. Top 30 MBA means virtually nothing.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Unless you want to work in VA/DC, I think you should choose ASU, OP.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”