UC Hastings ($$), Brooklyn (0) or Cardozo (?)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NYCdude

UC Hastings ($$), Brooklyn (0) or Cardozo (?)

Postby NYCdude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Last edited by NYCdude on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ndirish2010

Re: UC Hastings ($$), Brooklyn (0) or Cardozo (?)

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Retake and reapply. None of these schools are good for NYC. You cannot expect to be high enough in the class to transfer. Median BLS and Hastings kids are almost equally screwed (though Hastings is better, it is in a smaller market that tons of people want).

NYCdude

Postby NYCdude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:39 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Retake and reapply. None of these schools are good for NYC. You cannot expect to be high enough in the class to transfer. Median BLS and Hastings kids are almost equally screwed (though Hastings is better, it is in a smaller market that tons of people want).

Thank you for the reply. However I already mentioned that I cannot retake the exam since I took it 3 times. I'm also not interested in delaying law school and would like to start in the fall.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:39 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Retake and reapply.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:45 pm

NYCdude wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Retake and reapply. None of these schools are good for NYC. You cannot expect to be high enough in the class to transfer. Median BLS and Hastings kids are almost equally screwed (though Hastings is better, it is in a smaller market that tons of people want).

Thank you for the reply. However I already mentioned that I cannot retake the exam since I took it 3 times. I'm also not interested in delaying law school and would like to start in the fall.

Are you interested in getting a job? Then get some school to sponsor a retake, study a lot, and improve your score. Settle for nothing less than Fordham with $$, otherwise go to a T25 somewhere else with more $$ and hope to break into NYC.

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:46 pm

i wouldn't go to hastings for NYC. even with in-state status, hastings tuition is going to become even more exorbitantly expensive over the next 3 years (10% tuition hike this year). i would also suggest the dreaded retake/reapply. hard advice to swallow, but it's sound.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:47 pm

Then either change your career plans (bye bye NYC) or don't go to law school. UC Hastings is your only non-suicidal option, so just go there willing to work wherever and knowing that it will be an uphill battle to get a full-time, bar passage-required job.
Last edited by scammedhard on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Your options are all awful. Hastings is going to cost $150,000+ in debt an doesn't place in NYC while BLS/Cardozo are going to cost $200,000 in debt even though they do place in NYC. Normally you should retake/reapply but because you can't do that the most prudent decision is to not go to law school considering you're taking a ridiculously risky gamble. If you must take the gamble then I'd say just take a 1 year gamble and go to BLS/Cardozo and drop out after 1L if you aren't in the top 10%. At least that way you're only risking 60-70k and 1 year rather than 200k and 3 years.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 pm

NYC is the most open market there is, I don't think going back would be too hard, but going to UCH for New York is definitely not the path of least resistance, but then again it's still probably better than Cardozo or BLS (for god's sake don't go to BLS at sticker). If you already have ties somewhere I don't think the regionalism is as much of a factor. I go to UCH and I had internship offers in Maryland and Virginia, probably because I lived in VA for 15 years, and not because people in VA have ever heard of Hastings.

IMO if you absolutely have to to go to law school, go to UCH and make sure you spend your summers in NYC

Bitey

Postby Bitey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:30 pm

I don't think getting residence in CA is easy, especially if you are only there for educational purposes (http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/faq/residencefaq.htm).

Could be wrong, but Hastings is going to cost in the ballpark of 180k+ easy. Out-of-State tuition is now 50k and cost of living is easy 20k+ (that would be living in Richmond, no SF too). Bad plan- worked with UC Hastings students during undergrad, very few seemed to be happy about the direction of the school or the job options. UC Hastings tuition has increased 400% in 10 years (that's 3 and 1/3 classes), and everything else has apparently proportionally declined.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Earlier I recommended:

Then either change your career plans (bye bye NYC) or don't go to law school. UC Hastings is your only non-suicidal option, so just go there willing to work wherever and knowing that it will be an uphill battle to get a full-time, bar passage-required job.

In this light of this new event (see link below) that will surely add to the glut of lawyers in the bay area, I now believe you don't have any good options whatsoever. Don't go to law school.
http://news.yahoo.com/san-francisco-shu ... 53218.html

Return to “Choosing a Law School”