Quinnipiac University School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
law_girl

Quinnipiac University School of Law

Postby law_girl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:26 am

Is it worth going to Quinnipiac University School of Law?
I just received an acceptance letter from Quinnipiac, and I'd love to go there because it's located in the East coast (I'd like to either work in the east coast of the US or going back to my country - I'm from Asia).
HOWEVER, the school is very very expensive (I'm an international student and my parents are paying for my tuition fees).

Please let me know what you think about this law school. Thank you again!:)

ndirish2010

Re: Quinnipiac University School of Law

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am

No. /thread before shitstorm.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:38 am

My perspective on Quinnipiac.

Pros:

QU is a very up and coming name in CT. Their undergrad has surpassed traditionally superior schools, and they are investing a lot in building themselves up as a big name (buying University of Bridgeport's law school, developing a med school, etc).

They are one of only three schools in CT (UConn, Yale, QU).

They are in a nice residential area but close enough to New Haven to have some sort of nightlife.

Cons:

They are extremely expensive.

CT does not have a huge legal market and there are a lot of law schools in New England.

Employment and salary stats look grim (see: --LinkRemoved--). A lack of response with regards to employment status or salary is usually indicative of low salary. "Business" here can mean everything from Fortune 500 to Taco Bell. A large percentage of the class working in "business" is not desirable.

The degree will have very little portability outside of Connecticut.

The school is fairly new and does not have a huge alumni base.

With all that in mind, I cannot recommend that you attend Quinnipiac, especially without any sort of scholarship. If you are just hearing now, perhaps you could re-take the LSAT for next cycle or at least apply earlier. Information on when you sent your app in and what your LSAT score / GPA equivalent will be helpful for people here to recommend some options.

Quinnipiac at sticker is an extremely risky option and best to be avoided. There are many law schools on the east coast, with an improvement in application date and/or LSAT score, you may be able to have stronger options next cycle.

Chippy

Postby Chippy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 am

I'm not sure if this unique to my experience- but I think law schools make a great deal of money from foreign students (especially asian) that pay cash for their full sticker tuition. Not sure what the goal of these asian students are after graduation (most speak little English). Maybe outsourcing stations overseas? Don't know.

I don't really care because I figure these people (and their business oligarch parents) are paying my tuition as well.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:54 am

I am from CT, and know some QU students/graduates. Here is a rough breakdown of how QU does as far as employment. Top student in the class goes to S&C through professor connection. Great result out of QU, but don't count on being the top student ever. Top 10% will get a good legal job. Maybe not "BigLaw," but a solid mid to large law firm in CT that pays well. Anything on down to median should get you something, maybe a mid to small firm job, but probably not paying more than 50K. Below median without local connections, pretty decent chance you strike out and don't get a legal job. Overall I would say paying sticker is a bad idea and gives you a pretty good chance of being in a bad spot post graduation.

DonDrapersAttorney

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Echoing what many have said here. Unless you can go for free or close to free, I wouldn't do it. I myself am applying to Quinnipiac in the fall, but it's far from my top choice and I'll only go if I get lots of money. If you have no/ functionally no debt it's a lot easier to only be making 60k right out of school. If you've got loans to pay off though, good luck. So if it won't cost you anything and you have no better options do it. Otherwise, I agree with the try for the next cycle option. Apply early and maybe you'll get a scholarship package.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Law_girl , can I ask what your GPA and highest LSAT was?

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 pm

LOL at Q being "up and coming". Isnt this the TTT that neiderbomb trolled?

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:LOL at Q being "up and coming". Isnt this the TTT that neiderbomb trolled?

I hear what you're saying, but there is some truth to it. The President of QU has really done a great job of promoting QU. I'm not saying I would go there, even with a substantial scholly, but it is a relatively young school that has improved and gained some degree of a reputation. Still not a great or probly not even good school, but it is, in some sense, up and coming. Wouldn't be surprised if they cracked the second tier in 5 to 10 years, for what that's worth.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:02 pm

TheZoid wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:LOL at Q being "up and coming". Isnt this the TTT that neiderbomb trolled?

I hear what you're saying, but there is some truth to it. The President of QU has really done a great job of promoting QU. I'm not saying I would go there, even with a substantial scholly, but it is a relatively young school that has improved and gained some degree of a reputation. Still not a great or probly not even good school, but it is, in some sense, up and coming. Wouldn't be surprised if they cracked the second tier in 5 to 10 years, for what that's worth.

Also, my comment was meant to refer to the university as a whole, not just the law school - the undergrad, at least, went from being on the same level as the so-so state schools (Southern CT, etc) to apparently close to schools like Fairfield U and Ithaca in the US News rankings. I'm not saying they're going to be T1 anytime soon, but the university is really bent on promoting itself and growing.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:11 am

snapdragon wrote:
TheZoid wrote:

Also, my comment was meant to refer to the university as a whole, not just the law school - the undergrad, at least, went from being on the same level as the so-so state schools (Southern CT, etc) to apparently close to schools like Fairfield U and Ithaca in the US News rankings. I'm not saying they're going to be T1 anytime soon, but the university is really bent on promoting itself and growing.

This is definitely true. That said, I would never attend w/out a full scholly+stipend and even then only if I wanted to work in CT (with limited portability in New England and basically none anywhere else).

Also, someone from Quinnipiac got S&C? That is SHOCKING to me. To the point where I don't believe it and it makes me a little angry.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:42 pm

fingersxd wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
TheZoid wrote:

This is definitely true. That said, I would never attend w/out a full scholly+stipend and even then only if I wanted to work in CT (with limited portability in New England and basically none anywhere else).

Also, someone from Quinnipiac got S&C? That is SHOCKING to me. To the point where I don't believe it and it makes me a little angry

Yea, I hear you. It happened, though. Professor connection for the top student in the class. There is almost zero portability for a QU degree, but yea, this happened.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”