. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shackleton

New

Post by shackleton » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:01 pm

n/m
Last edited by shackleton on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shackleton

New

Re: WUSTL ($$$) v. GULC (sticker)

Post by shackleton » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Bump.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:29 pm

Get as much need-based aid from GTown as you possibly can. If there somehow isn't any, ouch. I'd probably go to WUSTL rather than spend another 130k, but if the difference isn't too big, follow your preference and the rankings.

Bitey

New

Post by Bitey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:02 pm

There is no "tax bomb". IBR's debt forgiveness is not taxable.

Anyway, I wouldn't do GULC at full price or anything close.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Bitey wrote:There is no "tax bomb". IBR's debt forgiveness is not taxable.
Not exactly true

http://www.ibrinfo.org/faq.vp.html#_Will_forgiven_loan

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:07 pm

IBR loan forgiveness is taxable if you aren't in public interest.

"The maximum repayment period is 25 years. After 25 years, any remaining debt will be discharged (forgiven). Under current law, the amount of debt discharged is treated as taxable income, so you will have to pay income taxes 25 years from now on the amount discharged that year. "

http://www.finaid.org/loans/ibr.phtml

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 pm

ITE you're unlikely to get biglaw from either school (unless your work experience is directly related to the field of law you want to practice in...in that case you have about an even shot if you attend Gtown).

If I were you, I would bank on not getting biglaw from either school and just taking the lower debt.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:14 pm

How do you plan on breaking the lease. DC is great but considering the cost-benefit I would go with WUSTL. Plus, Gtown is sort of a diploma mill and from what I've been hearing, a lot of people are having trouble finding jobs b/c there are so many Gtown grads and other schools to compete with for DC. Even if you get need based, you'll basically still be paying twice for Gtown and it might not be worth it. Granted, mobility is much greater out of Gtown.

shackleton

New

Post by shackleton » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 pm

ran12 wrote:How do you plan on breaking the lease. DC is great but considering the cost-benefit I would go with WUSTL. Plus, Gtown is sort of a diploma mill and from what I've been hearing, a lot of people are having trouble finding jobs b/c there are so many Gtown grads and other schools to compete with for DC. Even if you get need based, you'll basically still be paying twice for Gtown and it might not be worth it. Granted, mobility is much greater out of Gtown.
Plan would be to talk to the landlord, see what we can work out, and try to have him find another renter, even if I end up paying a month or two rent while we both look. Otherwise, finding someone to sublet. If that fails, time for some new plans :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shackleton

New

Post by shackleton » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:30 pm

JCougar wrote:ITE you're unlikely to get biglaw from either school (unless your work experience is directly related to the field of law you want to practice in...in that case you have about an even shot if you attend Gtown).

If I were you, I would bank on not getting biglaw from either school and just taking the lower debt.
But... I'M A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE!

In all honesty, this is a good point.

shackleton

New

Post by shackleton » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:33 pm

As others have pointed out, straight 25 year IBR payments do have tax implications at the end. 10 year IBR payments combined with a PSLF-eligible job do not.

This is doubly relevant as Georgetown's LRAP only covers PSLF-eligible, JD-required or JD-preferred jobs.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 am

WUSTL. GULC sticker is bad news.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:54 am

shackleton wrote:
JCougar wrote:ITE you're unlikely to get biglaw from either school (unless your work experience is directly related to the field of law you want to practice in...in that case you have about an even shot if you attend Gtown).

Yes, GULC you will not get biglaw 60% of the time, while WUSTL you won't get it 80% of the time. Difference is you're going for damn close to free at WUSTL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shackleton

New

Post by shackleton » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:13 am

n/m
Last edited by shackleton on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:25 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Yes, GULC you will not get biglaw 60% of the time, while WUSTL you won't get it 80% of the time. Difference is you're going for damn close to free at WUSTL.
$137,000 is not damn close to free, in any sense of the word.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:42 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
shackleton wrote:

Yes, GULC you will not get biglaw 60% of the time, while WUSTL you won't get it 80% of the time. Difference is you're going for damn close to free at WUSTL.
Biglaw numbers at GULC are a bit skewed, given that such a large percentage of each class will be gunning for gov/PI. Saying "you will not get biglaw 60% of the time" is a bit misleading.

Chippy

New

Post by Chippy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

IBR loan forgiveness is taxable if you aren't in public interest.

"The maximum repayment period is 25 years. After 25 years, any remaining debt will be discharged (forgiven). Under current law, the amount of debt discharged is treated as taxable income, so you will have to pay income taxes 25 years from now on the amount discharged that year. "

http://www.finaid.org/loans/ibr.phtml
Cheers, I stand corrected. Better go tell my buddy that is counting on this program to remember the IRS bill at the end. I think the 25-year-option, even for the underemployed, seems like a pretty bad deal in the end.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shackleton

New

Post by shackleton » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:12 pm

n/m
Last edited by shackleton on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:22 pm

TheFactor wrote: Biglaw numbers at GULC are a bit skewed, given that such a large percentage of each class will be gunning for gov/PI. Saying "you will not get biglaw 60% of the time" is a bit misleading.
This is absolutely the truth. I would estimate around 60-70% of Georgetown grads are in the running for biglaw, BigGov, or BigClerkship. And this is during the recession. I only know one person from my class who doesn't fit into one of those jobs, or an another LRAP eligible job.

If OP wants a shot at living in NYC, LA, of SF, as his post indicates, he has almost no shot from WUSTL.

shackleton

New

Post by shackleton » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Mid-day bump.

milljp02

Bronze

Post by milljp02 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Call me a coward, but the safe thing seems to be go to WUSTL, make no assumptions about Biglaw, and study your ass off. If you get Biglaw, that's some tasty icing on the cake, but you'll also be able to get by without it. It also might depend on how old you are, a guy my age (30+) has a different view on debt (hence, the safe route) than someone right out of college might.

Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:29 pm

WUSTL.

Your planned career scenario isn't necessarily unrealistic, but it's hardly a given, even from a T14. Not worth the additional debt if you aren't going to be heartbroken in the midwest.

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:54 pm

ITE you're unlikely to get biglaw from either school (unless your work experience is directly related to the field of law you want to practice in...in that case you have about an even shot if you attend Gtown).
I'm sorry, what? I have no idea what facts you are looking at, because the results from EIW last year make it clear that this is just not true.

shackleton

New

Post by shackleton » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Edit: n/m

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:12 am

WUSTL.

Georgetown is a nice school, but simply is not worth sticker (in most cases). 130K is a ton of money and I think that K-JDs and other who have only been out of school for a year or two, have a very poor sense of the sort of impact that paying off those sorts of loans has on your QoL. I don't think 130k is worth the extra 20% if you would be ok staying in the midwest.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”