Harvard V. Stanford

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Harvard or Stanford?

Harvard
21%
Stanford
79%

Total votes: 141

HNSA15

Harvard V. Stanford

Postby HNSA15 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:47 pm

OK, so since you were all so helpful when I was deciding between Harvard and a full ride at UCLA (I chose Harvard), I will now need your help once more, as I was admitted to Stanford yesterday (off the wait list, obviously).

So....putting aside emotional attachments such as family and boyfriend, where would make more sense to go? Harvard, or Stanford? I want to practice in Cali once I'm out, but am not sure what type of law I'm looking to get into as of yet.

What do I do?

justhockey31

Re: Harvard V. Stanford

Postby justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 pm

stanford...enjoy

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Stanphad

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:51 pm

reasons please!!!

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:52 pm

HNSA15 wrote:OK, so since you were all so helpful when I was deciding between Harvard and a full ride at UCLA (I chose Harvard), I will now need your help once more, as I was admitted to Stanford yesterday (off the wait list, obviously).

So....putting aside emotional attachments such as family and boyfriend, where would make more sense to go? Harvard, or Stanford? I want to practice in Cali once I'm out, but am not sure what type of law I'm looking to get into as of yet.

What do I do?

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:53 pm

justhockey31 wrote:
HNSA15 wrote:OK, so since you were all so helpful when I was deciding between Harvard and a full ride at UCLA (I chose Harvard), I will now need your help once more, as I was admitted to Stanford yesterday (off the wait list, obviously).

What do I do?

do u think that Harvard wouldn't provide me with options in Cali?

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes it would I guess it just seems so simple when you remove emotional factors...you want Cali, you go to the school that is by far the best school in that state. What is the point of going all the way across the country when you have a school which is arguably better right there in the state you want?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Isn't Stanford a better option period?

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:08 pm

ahduth wrote:Isn't Stanford a better option period?

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:09 pm

HNSA15 wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:

What do I do?

do u think that Harvard wouldn't provide me with options in Cali?

The West Coast representation at Stanford's OCI is much greater than at H and Y. If you want California, it'd be ridiculously easier to get there from Stanford.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Based on common sense, Stanford's the best option for California period. However, you're fine if you wanna go to Harvard for family reasons.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:18 pm

choose harvard if you're a snob. stanford if you are cool and ridiculously good looking :)

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 am

I would kill to be able to go to Harvard, but I still say Stanford in this case.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:26 am

ahduth wrote:Isn't Stanford a better option period?

no. i mean, it might be, but id take the period out lol.

with just the info OP's given though, i just dont see why not SLS. in my view, completely peer schools with a few small differences...that cater to certain preferences, one of those being wanting to practice in Cali hahaha.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 am

Are you sure you want to give up your family and SO's support and go across the country from them? That is a tough call. If it were me, I would stay where I had support to do well. I think that Harvard still gets jobs on the west coast. How do you know you want to end up in California? The idea of living and working there might not be the same as the reality of being far away from home, under stress and alone.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:57 am

sunynp wrote:Are you sure you want to give up your family and SO's support and go across the country from them? That is a tough call. If it were me, I would stay where I had support to do well. I think that Harvard still gets jobs on the west coast. How do you know you want to end up in California? The idea of living and working there might not be the same as the reality of being far away from home, under stress and alone.

but OP said putting aside emotional attachments like family and friends...lol.

if you factor that in, this gets to be a very personal decision. i know then, even if i wanted to practice in Cali, i personally would choose HLS over SLS (assuming my family and friends were in Boston or something).

j12

Postby j12 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:10 am

You have 2 great options, I don't think you can really make a bad decision.

What is the draw of Harvard over Stanford for you? East Coast lay prestige?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:11 am

j12bash wrote:You have 2 great options, I don't think you can really make a bad decision.

I assumed family, or else this would be REALLY lopsided lol.

j12

Postby j12 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:13 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
j12bash wrote:You have 2 great options, I don't think you can really make a bad decision.

from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155997

HNSA15 wrote:
I should also mention that I've lived in Socal my entire life, and live really close to UCLA (went there for undergrad), and my family and long-time boyfriend are here with me, so Harvard would be a huge change for me.

Thanks

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 am

j12bash wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155997

HNSA15 wrote:
I should also mention that I've lived in Socal my entire life, and live really close to UCLA (went there for undergrad), and my family and long-time boyfriend are here with me, so Harvard would be a huge change for me.

Thanks

lulwut, then why is HLS even a consideration here? haha

HNSA i will find you out and gawk at you in disbelief if you come here to HLS :P jk

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:59 pm

stanford. at stanford many of your peers will stay in CA and tons of alumni are there. you'll have a better sense of what's available from stanford than at harvard, though i sincerely doubt that harvard would preclude you from getting a job in CA if that's what you wanted.

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:37 pm

OK, I think I should clarify:

I now live in CA and my family/bf are here...so yes, Stanford would be easier.

The thing is, though, that I've been in Cali my whole life, and really want to try something new and exciting and take a chance on something (like moving to the east coast for 3 years?). I went to UCLA for undergrad and have always been like 30 minutes away from my family and boyfriend, and I sort of feel like I want to branch out a little.

You know how when you're debating between sushi and italian food and you really can't decide, so you flip a coin and then when it lands on sushi you're like noooo I really want Italian? So that's how I feel now that you've all told me Stanford; I feel like I secretly wanted Harvard.

You all just freaked me out and totally confused me, thanks!!! haha jk I appreciate all the insight.

By the way, I love how I asked everyone to keep emotional attachments out of it, yet everything I wrote is 100% emotional.

Do you guys think that Stanford is a better school? If so, why? Do you also really believe that I'll have trouble getting a job in LA out of Harvard? I know it would obviously be easier to work in Cali out of Stanford, but would it be difficult for me to find a job out of Harvard? Does it matter that I want to live in LA and not northern CA?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Stanford---because I read your posts in this thread.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:42 pm

dkt4 wrote:i sincerely doubt that harvard would preclude you from getting a job in CA if that's what you wanted.

j12

Postby j12 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:43 pm

They are peer schools. You will have a fairly equally excellent job opportunities coming out of either one. Due to self-selection you probably have a better CA network coming from Stanford, but you will most likely be able to get a CA job coming from Harvard.

There's no reason to leave emotions out of it when deciding between peer schools. Go to the one you want. If you want Harvard, it's a great choice. If you want Stanford, also a great choice.

As far as trying something new, isn't Palo Alto a different environment that LA? I've never been to either one, but I thought they were viewed as such.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”