Cooley Sues Law Firm and Bloggers

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
buckilaw

Re: Cooley Sues Law Firm and Bloggers

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:06 am

derekc4 wrote:If Cooley is represented by Cooley graduates, we should not only win this but be able to turn the school into a Chuck E. Cheese for TLSers.

Cooley is being represented by a Michigan grad and a GULC grad; not sure how they can bring this suit without laughing themselves to death.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:26 am

buckilaw wrote:
derekc4 wrote:If Cooley is represented by Cooley graduates, we should not only win this but be able to turn the school into a Chuck E. Cheese for TLSers.

Cooley is being represented by a Michigan grad and a GULC grad; not sure how they can bring this suit without laughing themselves to death.

+1

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:43 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Others are less kind.

do not attend unless you: (1) get into a top 8 law school

i loled

shit's worse than QO

I'm glad I remembered that site. Didn't think that one blog could have such a huge obsession with both law school and feces.

Jetsetter

Postby Jetsetter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:17 am

buckilaw wrote:

So..uh...They don't even trust their own graduates to represent them?!
I think that there does more damage to their reputation than any of the scambloggers. They are their own worst enemy.

K.R.I.T.

Postby K.R.I.T. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:42 am

My guess is Cooley DID NOT seek representation from any Cooley graduates.

Damnit: (EDIT) Just saw the above posts confirming this.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:32 am

I am not a Cooley fan,but starting this law suit was VERY clever. Why? There are several reasons:
1. The best defense is a good offense. They saw the writing on the wall that the law firm was probably intending to bring a class action suit against them. This way, they nip this immediately and stop the potential suit.
2. Secondly the get great publicity from this, particularly if they win.
3. They put a chill on any unsupported negative factual comments about Cooley. This will certainly have the effect of reducing a lot of the negative comments and naysayers.

Bottom line: Whatever your opinion of Cooley,it really was a clever move. The only potential downside would be if the law firm can indeed prove its case regarding Cooley. That would be a huge public embarrassment for the law school. Even worse, if the law firm can prove that its alledged factual allegations were true, they would have one heck of a good class action case not to mention could affect Cooley's accreditation. Thus, it is a bit of a crap shoot by the law school. However, my opinion is that they made the right move in instituting this suit.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:57 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:It appears that page 8 of the complaint sites TLS. Am I right. Not enough time to read in-depth right now.

The first or the second complaint?

Yup, Rockstar cites a couple of paragraphs from its TLS profile if you see exhibit b of the summons.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:02 am

taxguy wrote:I am not a Cooley fan,but starting this law suit was VERY clever. Why? There are several reasons:
1. The best defense is a good offense. They saw the writing on the wall that the law firm was probably intending to bring a class action suit against them. This way, they nip this immediately and stop the potential suit.
3. They put a chill on any unsupported negative factual comments about Cooley. This will certainly have the effect of reducing a lot of the negative comments and naysayers.

Bottom line: Whatever your opinion of Cooley,it really was a clever move. The only potential downside would be if the law firm can indeed prove its case regarding Cooley. That would be a huge public embarrassment for the law school. Even worse, if the law firm can prove that its alledged factual allegations were true, they would have one heck of a good class action case not to mention could affect Cooley's accreditation. Thus, it is a bit of a crap shoot by the law school. However, my opinion is that they made the right move in instituting this suit.

THE ELUSIVE TAXGUY RETURNS.

j12

Postby j12 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 am

It looks like Cooley is going after Anonymous.

I wonder if its the same Anonymous that posts here all the time

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:26 am

loblaw wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:It appears that page 8 of the complaint sites TLS. Am I right. Not enough time to read in-depth right now.

Yup, Rockstar cites a couple of paragraphs from its TLS profile if you see exhibit b of the summons.

Is there any way this'll affect TLS - or Ken?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:37 am

If you are a defendant on what grounds could you counter sue?

I have a hard time believing that damages can be proven. Especially when the school has such poor ranking and opinion is not slander.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 am

taxguy wrote:unsupported negative factual comments

um what?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:33 am

taxguy wrote:I am not a Cooley fan,but starting this law suit was VERY clever. Why? There are several reasons:

I'm not sure the brilliance of this move is undeniable. Sometimes when you're a scam artist marketing an inferior product to thousands of unsuspecting kids, the correct move is not always to bring national attention to the allegations.

I'm also unconvinced this will have any chilling effect on negative comments against Cooley. It's the Internet, baby!

And sometimes the best defense is actually just a really good defense.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:36 am

TommyK wrote:

I'm not sure the brilliance of this move is undeniable. Sometimes when you're a scam artist marketing an inferior product to thousands of unsuspecting kids, the correct move is not always to bring national attention to the allegations.

I'm also unconvinced this will have any chilling effect on negative comments against Cooley. It's the Internet, baby!

And sometimes the best defense is actually just a really good defense.

+1. If anything this will make Cooley an even bigger laughing stock. Just look to posts ITT for proof.

rangers0412

Postby rangers0412 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:50 am

The people running cooley are geniuses. Go to guidestar and look at their 990, 5.8m revenues over expenses which includes 6.5m of depreciation and a 2.8m stock loss. The people attending, eh not so much.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:04 am

My admittedly somewhat ignorant opinion is that this can only go somewhere good.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 pm

loblaw wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

I did not see that. I printed out the complaint without the exhibits (I was trying to use as little paper as possible). TLS as a whole probably won't be affected, since it's a forum to discuss these things, and not a malicious scam blog. Though who knows what might happen to individual users.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:06 pm

All that is great and all. But I'm fairly sure you can't serve process to "anonymous persons" via the internet. This is not a serious suit, it's a publicity stunt. Although it would be hilarious if they tried to give the defendants notice through a PM or something.

Also, the firm they hired actually does have Cooley grads working there; not having a Cooley grad on the case looks kinda bad.

Postby 071816 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Fuck for-profit law schools.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 pm

chimp wrote:Fuck for-profit law schools.

Angry looking monkey in your avatar + this comment makes me lol.

Bitey

Postby Bitey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:01 pm

You all are hereby sued for speaking ill of the number 2 law school in the land- Cooley.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:18 pm

chimp wrote:Fuck-for-profit law schools.

FTFY to reflect the future of the legal profession.
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/06/all-rise ... n-session/

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:20 pm

fanmingrui wrote:FTFY to reflect the future of the legal profession.
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/06/all-rise ... n-session/

Forget about the future... it's the present that looks bleak!

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Rockstar05 responds!
--LinkRemoved--

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:22 pm

j12bash wrote:It looks like Cooley is going after Anonymous.

I wonder if its the same Anonymous that posts here all the time

Samara wrote:Rockstar05 responds!
--LinkRemoved--

Why wouldn't Cooley contact Rockstar05 before they filed the lawsuit? :?:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”