Maximizing Options...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bobnoxious

Maximizing Options...

Postby Bobnoxious » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:59 am

Knowing that options are going to be limited anyway for a 50 year old law graduate (as I intend to be), in order to maximize whatever options there may be, which is best...

1) Graduate from a T14 school in the 4th quintile?

2) Graduate from a T1 school in the 3rd quintile?

3) Graduate from a T2 school in the 2nd quintile?

4) Graduate from a T3 in the top 10%?

In other words, is it better to be a big fish in a small pond?

Bill Cosby

Re: Maximizing Options...

Postby Bill Cosby » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 am

Irrelevant question, because it assumes you place higher in the class if you attend a lower ranked school.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:09 am

Bill is right.

In theory, however, being in the top 10% (assuming Law Review and Order of the Coif) at a T3 would be the best bet.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:17 am

Bill, the assumption is that the combination of LSAT and gpa does indicate performance at a law school, and if you're at the median of both at a top school, you're more likely to graduate somewhere in the middle, while if those numbers put you at the pinnacle in a T3 then you're more likely to graduate at the top from that school.

It may be a piss poor assumption, but I haven't seen any evidence that would contradict this as a general rule of thumb, exluding outliers and anecdotal stories.

It does in fact assume a higher placement at a lower tier school, because of the lower overall LSATs and gpas admitted.

Aberzombie, thanks.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks for the input.

To be a little more specific...

...I'm in Memphis, TN, and would most likely stay here. Wife has a decent job, my kids and family are here, and there's no way I'm gonna sell the house without taking a major hit anyway. I'm expecting to graduate with a gpa of between 3.5 - 3.7, and I expect to score (with a little practice and study) in the mid 160's on the LSAT.

The hypotheticals I'm looking at are a longshot at Vanderbilt and a decent shot at UT-Knoxville, vs. the home school here in Memphis; T1, T2, and T3 respectively. I don't want to try to speculate on potential scholarship monies yet. All in the same state which will help keep costs down (except for Vandy).

The current plan, subject to change and likely to change, is to graduate, open a general practice and start doing B2B collections work since I'm networked to the hilt as far as those prospects go, while doing guardian ad litem work (I'm a CASA volunteer right now), and, yes, personal injury.

I'm really not in this for the money...just enough to pay off the loans in a reasonable time, and enough so that I can live better than the $30k/year I've always made has allowed me to.

Again, thanks for the input. It's appreciated.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Bobnoxious wrote:Bill, the assumption is that the combination of LSAT and gpa does indicate performance at a law school, and if you're at the median of both at a top school, you're more likely to graduate somewhere in the middle, while if those numbers put you at the pinnacle in a T3 then you're more likely to graduate at the top from that school.

It may be a piss poor assumption, but I haven't seen any evidence that would contradict this as a general rule of thumb, exluding outliers and anecdotal stories.

According to LSAC, your GPA and LSAT score combined have an average predictive value of 0.47 for 1L performance.

That means that in a class of 300 students, on average you can predict where a student will fall within a range of 378 students (the average student will fall within a range of 189 spots above or below the rank you would predict based on GPA+LSAT).

In other words, you can reliably predict that a student will fall someplace between first and last in the class, based on LSAT & GPA.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”