Which tier 4 law school should I attend? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Which tier 4 law school should I attend?

Post by Grizz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:00 pm

kapital98 wrote:
rad law wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
You must not be familiar with Charleston or SC.
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... -by-state/

South Carolina is right in the middle of the pack when it comes to a "lawyer surplus." This article is ommitting the relative growth rates of each state. South Carolina is growing at a much faster pace than other comparable states. This can be seen in the relative decline of the Rust Belt vs. the Sun Belt.

You must not be familiar with economics.
Cool article bro. South Carolina is probably the most insular market in the nation. If you're not from there, forget about it. My friends from SC who went to out state schools can't get jobs because they didn't go to USC, despite good grades at more prestigious institutions. Charleston itself is functionally impossible to get a job in unless you know someone. It's incredibly good 'ol boy. Plus the law school is new and no one respects it.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:15 pm

rad law wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
rad law wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
You must not be familiar with Charleston or SC.
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... -by-state/

South Carolina is right in the middle of the pack when it comes to a "lawyer surplus." This article is ommitting the relative growth rates of each state. South Carolina is growing at a much faster pace than other comparable states. This can be seen in the relative decline of the Rust Belt vs. the Sun Belt.

You must not be familiar with economics.
Cool article bro. South Carolina is probably the most insular market in the nation. If you're not from there, forget about it. My friends from SC who went to out state schools can't get jobs because they didn't go to USC, despite good grades at more prestigious institutions. Charleston itself is functionally impossible to get a job in unless you know someone. It's incredibly good 'ol boy. Plus the law school is new and no one respects it.
It's hard to tell at times whether your account is one massive flame.

An insular market is actually a good thing in this situation (less potential market saturation.) The other two markets are over saturated and also have no prestige. S.C. is the best choice between the 3 schools.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:19 pm

If you want to make your career and life in South Carolina. Otherwise...as I said, the OP should forget law school and do something useful with his/her life. Welding science, maybe.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:20 pm

kapital98 wrote: It's hard to tell at times whether your account is one massive flame.

An insular market is actually a good thing in this situation (less potential market saturation.) The other two markets are over saturated and also have no prestige. S.C. is the best choice between the 3 schools.
Going to Charleston will not be enough to gain you entree into the SC market bro, absent truly spectacular grades and an absurd amount of hustle. And I mean absurd. I'm not lying when I say people in Charleston and SC in general hire connected people. Truly connected, not just some networking. Srry duder.

Also lol @ the preftigiouf SC market.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:Jose Baez went to St. Thomas, FWIT.
Beat me to it, lol.
GatorStudent wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:If you like Miami why isnt FIU (another Tier 4 school) on the list? It has a better rep and is much, much cheaper.
Very good point. IF the OP is considering going to a T4 school (and I'm not saying the OP should), FIU is the better option in Miami.
I'm pretty sure FIU is a T3, and their requirements are certainly more rigid than the other schools mentioned, albeit not by a whole lot. But yeah, if you can get into FIU, that's where you should go.

As far as Charleston, I know a very intelligent and informed South Carolinian who chose that school over USC. He's going into his 3L, I believe. His mother is a professor at USC, and disuaded him from attending their law school and directed him to attend Charleston. He had a 165 LSAT, but with a shitty GPA. He also attended USC for UG, and his parents are heavily involved in the USC alumni network. This information may be more geared toward anti-USC than pro-Charleston, but I know he got into some other solid schools and chose Charleston. Take that fwiw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:09 pm

ensign3066 wrote:It doesn't matter which seat you choose on a crashing plane.
I've heard the back of the plane is best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”