Notre Dame (full price) vs. Wisconsin (partial scholarship)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Leebee

Notre Dame (full price) vs. Wisconsin (partial scholarship)

Postby Leebee » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Hey Everyone,
I'm lost as to which school I should decide to attend right now. Last week I was accepted to Fordham and Notre Dame off of their waitlists. I decided that Fordham just wasn't worth it, but I used my acceptances to both schools as leverage to see what Wisconsin would offer me because I hadn't received any scholarship money from there yet. Wisconsin emailed me back with an scholarship offer of $12k/year. Wisconsin said that my award may or may not increase as the semester approaches depending on which students defer admission or decide to attend different law schools. Wisconsin's estimated COA is $55k/year and Notre Dame's estimated COA is $62k/year. Notre Dame seems to be a better school based off of my research. I know rankings are by no means everything, but Notre Dame is ranked 23 and Wisconsin is ranked 35. Madison seems like a much more desirable place to live than South Bend in my eyes, but I'm going to be busy with studying, so that shouldn't be such a big concern. Also, I'll be much closer to home in South Bend than in Wisconsin and I could have my car with me there. I should also add that I currently have a lease signed in Madison for $1000/month that I am trying to find a subletter for/get out of. As of now, no luck, but anything's possible! I'm not sure what I want to do with my law degree, or where I want to live, but I know it's not Madison or South Bend after graduation. I'm striving more toward DC, Chicago, or New York. Anyways, after all of that word vomit, what are your thoughts on this? Any insight and all opinions are welcome!

flexityflex86

Re: Notre Dame (full price) vs. Wisconsin (partial scholarship)

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:05 pm

This is a tough selection. I think you should try to negotiate a deal with both schools where you are enrolled in both for 1/2 price, and take your morning classes in South Bend, then take a helicopter during lunch to make afternoon classes at Wisconsin. This will give you two alumni bases for employment purposes, and allow you to take advantage of the $1,000.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 pm

seriously you gotta pick 1 city.

you won't get NYC out of Notre Dame. Emory does better in NYC than Notre Dame, and they don't do that great in NYC.

you won't get DC out of ND either.

Notre Dame can get you Chicago, but it isn't locked into stone. ND at sticker is risky, but 36k is not that much money.

The apartment sucks (is it really so much there?) - maybe your mom could sublet it while you're in law school.

I don't think Notre Dame is a good bet at sticker, but I think it's worth slightly more than 36k at Wisconsin. The 12k on the apartment honestly might swing it though.

And the difference between 23 and 35 can fluctuate a lot. Emory went from like 21 to 30 in 1 year. Wisconsin was like 27 last year. ND is better, but not like the difference between Fordham and Yeshiva in NY.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:13 am

Try to use that 12k at Wisconsin as leverage at Notre Dame to squeeze 10k out of them. Seriously. The worst they can do is say no.

And the above poster is right. Your odds of getting NYC/DC out of either school is less than 5%, and your odds of Chicago might be 10%.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:24 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Try to use that 12k at Wisconsin as leverage at Notre Dame to squeeze 10k out of them. Seriously. The worst they can do is say no.

And the above poster is right. Your odds of getting NYC/DC out of either school is less than 5%, and your odds of Chicago might be 10%.

idk about exact odds. we know where people matriculate, not where they could matriculate. there's no law school numbers for employment where every student lists bids (but this is a good idea TLS)....

i think ND is a bad call for chicago as it's lower than UChi, NW and UIUC, and Chicago isn't THAT big. If USC and UCLA sometimes struggle in LA, how does ND seem safe for CHI?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:47 am

flexityflex86 wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Try to use that 12k at Wisconsin as leverage at Notre Dame to squeeze 10k out of them. Seriously. The worst they can do is say no.

idk about exact odds. we know where people matriculate, not where they could matriculate. there's no law school numbers for employment where every student lists bids (but this is a good idea TLS)....

i think ND is a bad call for chicago as it's lower than UChi, NW and UIUC, and Chicago isn't THAT big. If USC and UCLA sometimes struggle in LA, how does ND seem safe for CHI?

You're right, exact odds are impossible, but I think my estimates are about right. DC is just about impossible from anything below Georgetown right now. And I agree that Chicago is a bad bet too- not sure if you thought I was saying otherwise?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 am

The shitty thing is that Chicago is a black hole of no jobs right now, D.C. is nearly impossible from either of those schools even though they have some jobs, and the same goes for NYC. Rough choice, but I would pick ND and bank on the Chicago market getting out of the hole a bit if you want a firm job.

That said, I think you'd be better served at Fordham, as NYC is the only ticking legal market right now and Fordham does decently for itself in NYC.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 am

The shitty thing is that Chicago is a black hole of no jobs right now, D.C. is nearly impossible from either of those schools even though they have some jobs, and the same goes for NYC. Rough choice, but I would pick ND and bank on the Chicago market getting out of the hole a bit if you want a firm job.

That said, I think you'd be better served at Fordham, as NYC is the only ticking legal market right now and Fordham does decently for itself in NYC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”