Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cmanheim
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby cmanheim » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 pm

In terms of placement and lay prestige, which one is better?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:37 pm


fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Short answer is Columbia.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 pm

fingersxd wrote:Short answer is Columbia.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby bhan87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Bronte wrote:Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?


Columbia still wins in lay prestige anyway.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 pm

bhan87 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?


Columbia still wins in lay prestige anyway.


Well it's Columbia >>> Penn > Michigan = UVA in terms of lay prestige, but lay prestige is like... well an analogy isn't coming to mind, but it's really derpy.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Bronte wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?


Columbia still wins in lay prestige anyway.


Well it's Columbia >>> Penn > Michigan = UVA in terms of lay prestige, but lay prestige is like... well an analogy isn't coming to mind, but it's really derpy.


Concept of lay prestige also fluctuates from region to region and so, is largely a pointless consideration (i.e. lawyers know what is what and who cares what your FedEx delivery man thinks is better?). In the Midwest, I would guess Michigan > UVA/Penn. In the South I would guess UVA>Penn/Michigan.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 pm

fingersxd wrote:
Bronte wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?


Columbia still wins in lay prestige anyway.


Well it's Columbia >>> Penn > Michigan = UVA in terms of lay prestige, but lay prestige is like... well an analogy isn't coming to mind, but it's really derpy.


Concept of lay prestige also fluctuates from region to region and so, is largely a pointless consideration (i.e. lawyers know what is what and who cares what your FedEx delivery man thinks is better?). In the Midwest, I would guess Michigan > UVA/Penn. In the South I would guess UVA>Penn/Michigan.


I bet you get laid more at Michigan or Virginia. I've never been to Philly, but in NYC you better be prepared to play - you can't just... be cheering for the right football team or whatever.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby kwais » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:57 pm

I think people mischaracterize 'lay prestige' on TLS as some sort of pick-up line. Why do you think firms let you search their attorneys by law school? To capitalize on 'lay prestige'. It's real and, while it's by no means THE reason to pick a school, to say it's somehow non-existent is naive.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:01 pm

kwais wrote:I think people mischaracterize 'lay prestige' on TLS as some sort of pick-up line. Why do you think firms let you search their attorneys by law school? To capitalize on 'lay prestige'. It's real and, while it's by no means THE reason to pick a school, to say it's somehow non-existent is naive.


Now that you mention it, I'd never considered why firms let you search by school. I'm thinking it has nothing to do with lay prestige - no one is paying Quinn Emanuel because they've "heard of" the schools their attorneys went to. It's probably a networking mechanism of some kind? I guess - I'm not clear I'd want it on my website.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby kwais » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:05 pm

ahduth wrote:
kwais wrote:I think people mischaracterize 'lay prestige' on TLS as some sort of pick-up line. Why do you think firms let you search their attorneys by law school? To capitalize on 'lay prestige'. It's real and, while it's by no means The reason to pick a school, to say it's somehow non-existent is naive.


Now that you mention it, I'd never considered why firms let you search by school. I'm thinking it has nothing to do with lay prestige - no one is paying Quinn Emanuel because they've "heard of" the schools their attorneys went to. It's probably a networking mechanism of some kind? I guess - I'm not clear I'd want it on my website.


not sure if serious? If you are, I disagree. Having Harvard associates is a definite selling point of prestigious firms. A selling point both in and outside the legal community.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:09 pm

kwais wrote:
ahduth wrote:
kwais wrote:I think people mischaracterize 'lay prestige' on TLS as some sort of pick-up line. Why do you think firms let you search their attorneys by law school? To capitalize on 'lay prestige'. It's real and, while it's by no means The reason to pick a school, to say it's somehow non-existent is naive.


Now that you mention it, I'd never considered why firms let you search by school. I'm thinking it has nothing to do with lay prestige - no one is paying Quinn Emanuel because they've "heard of" the schools their attorneys went to. It's probably a networking mechanism of some kind? I guess - I'm not clear I'd want it on my website.


not sure if serious? If you are, I disagree. Having Harvard associates is a definite selling point of prestigious firms. A selling point both in and outside the legal community.


Entirely serious, and you're right - I'd want it as some sort of networking mechanism within the legal community. The opinions of people outside the legal community are irrelevant. They're not buying working from AmLaw 100 firms.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby kwais » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:11 pm

ahduth wrote:
kwais wrote:
ahduth wrote:
kwais wrote:I think people mischaracterize 'lay prestige' on TLS as some sort of pick-up line. Why do you think firms let you search their attorneys by law school? To capitalize on 'lay prestige'. It's real and, while it's by no means The reason to pick a school, to say it's somehow non-existent is naive.


Now that you mention it, I'd never considered why firms let you search by school. I'm thinking it has nothing to do with lay prestige - no one is paying Quinn Emanuel because they've "heard of" the schools their attorneys went to. It's probably a networking mechanism of some kind? I guess - I'm not clear I'd want it on my website.


not sure if serious? If you are, I disagree. Having Harvard associates is a definite selling point of prestigious firms. A selling point both in and outside the legal community.


Entirely serious, and you're right - I'd want it as some sort of networking mechanism within the legal community. The opinions of people outside the legal community are irrelevant. They're not buying working from AmLaw 100 firms.


What? who are their clients then?

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:12 pm

kwais wrote:What? who are their clients then?


GC offices.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Columbia, return to arguing about stupid shit

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:17 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Columbia, return to arguing about stupid shit


Thanks, I should've said GC offices and the government.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:27 pm

ahduth wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Columbia, return to arguing about stupid shit


Thanks, I should've said GC offices and the government.

I'm just amused by how when people ask questions on TLS, they usually end up getting answers to something entirely different.

5110
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby 5110 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:30 pm

And in between Michigan and Penn?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:32 pm

5110 wrote:And in between Michigan and Penn?

Go with the money or preferred location.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby rayiner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Bronte wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?


Columbia still wins in lay prestige anyway.


Well it's Columbia >>> Penn > Michigan = UVA in terms of lay prestige, but lay prestige is like... well an analogy isn't coming to mind, but it's really derpy.


Penn has more lay-prestige outside of NYC.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:31 pm

rayiner wrote:
Bronte wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?


Columbia still wins in lay prestige anyway.


Well it's Columbia >>> Penn > Michigan = UVA in terms of lay prestige, but lay prestige is like... well an analogy isn't coming to mind, but it's really derpy.


Penn has more lay-prestige outside of NYC.


I know that's true on the east coast. Does that also hold in the midwest and west coast? Being an ivy I imagine it does, but just curious.

5110
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby 5110 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:20 pm

A lot of people on this site make fun of Penn by calling it Penn State, I see no such jokes being made about Michigan (Michigan State), sometimes I wonder if this is indicative of anything?

That said, if one was interested in NYC and choosing between Penn and Michigan, I assume Penn could come out on top?

Edit: typo
Last edited by 5110 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:23 pm

5110 wrote:A lot of people on this site make fun of Penn by calling it Penn State, I see no such jokes being made about Michigan (Michigan State), sometimes I wonder if this indicative of anything?

That said, if one was interested in NYC and choosing between Penn and Michigan, I assume Penn could come out on top?


Yes. M=P. Broadly speaking they are peer schools and Penn would be a fine choice for NYC.

IMO, money and comfort at the school would really be the deciding factors at that point.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Postby ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:31 pm

fingersxd wrote:I know that's true on the east coast. Does that also hold in the midwest and west coast? Being an ivy I imagine it does, but just curious.


Certainly not in Chicago. Penn is basically some school no one cares about, and Michigan is where a pile of power brokers in the city went to school. Hell there are U of Michigan bars in Chicago.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests