Is Baylor worth it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CPM723

Bronze

Is Baylor worth it?

Post by CPM723 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am

Is Baylor a school worth looking into if I am interested in becoming a prosecutor? I have heard they have a fantastic litigation program, but that the school is very difficult. If anyone could give me some insight that would be great!

scammedhard

Silver

Re: Is Baylor worth it?

Post by scammedhard » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:28 pm

I don't know what your definition of "worth it" is, but to me no school outside the T14 is worth paying full price, and most schools outside the Tier 1 are not "worth it," even with substantial scholarships.

So, Baylor is not "worth it" unless you get a full ride.
Last edited by scammedhard on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Baylor has a great reputation for their mandatory third year trial program.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Baylor has a great reputation for their mandatory third year trial program.
Answer the question: Is Baylor worth it?

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:12 pm

TCR is no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:25 pm

CPM723 wrote:Is Baylor a school worth looking into if I am interested in becoming a prosecutor? I have heard they have a fantastic litigation program, but that the school is very difficult. If anyone could give me some insight that would be great!
Yes. It's a great school for getting an ADA job in Texas. Which means you're going six figures in debt for a job that will probably start around 35K. Make sure your lsat score is high enough to get significant money from them.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:07 pm

In answer to your question: Yes, Baylor is worth "looking into" if you want to pursue prosecutorial work because of its mandatory third year trial program. Whether or not it is worth attending depends upon the financials.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Not if you have to pay for it.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:13 pm

The short answer: No

The longer answer: Hell No

I have a number of friends there and I've yet to have one of them tell me anything other than awful things.

Just my 2 cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:53 pm

no only HYS are worth it everything else is worthless

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Why would you want to be a prosecutor in this country? They are all corrupt and they teach the cops how to lie on the stand. If you don't tow the line, you won't go very far because it's all based on the conviction rate. It's a soul-crushing place to be, and you will end up burning in hell (if it exists) because you'll be responsible for convicting innocent people.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:45 pm

tarp wrote:Why would you want to be a prosecutor in this country? They are all corrupt and they teach the cops how to lie on the stand. If you don't tow the line, you won't go very far because it's all based on the conviction rate. It's a soul-crushing place to be, and you will end up burning in hell (if it exists) because you'll be responsible for convicting innocent people.
This comment is offensively stupid. That said, attending Baylor isn't a bright idea either.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:48 pm

No, unless you want Texas and don't mind being miserable for three years of school. Any school that styles itself as the Marine Corps of the law school is promising a rough experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:53 pm

tarp wrote:Why would you want to be a prosecutor in this country? They are all corrupt and they teach the cops how to lie on the stand. If you don't tow the line, you won't go very far because it's all based on the conviction rate. It's a soul-crushing place to be, and you will end up burning in hell (if it exists) because you'll be responsible for convicting innocent people.
Don't worry, Hell doesn't exist.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:17 am

Zazelmaf wrote:
Don't worry, Hell doesn't exist.
And I'm not picking on hell, 'cause I don't think friendship exists either

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:52 pm

fathergoose wrote:The short answer: No

The longer answer: Hell No

I have a number of friends there and I've yet to have one of them tell me anything other than awful things.

Just my 2 cents.

I was talking with a girl in court the other day who LOATHES Baylor. It's nothing like the moderately pleasant experience we've gotten.

So the answer is no, unless you're into masochism and pain.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Grond wrote:
CPM723 wrote:Is Baylor a school worth looking into if I am interested in becoming a prosecutor? I have heard they have a fantastic litigation program, but that the school is very difficult. If anyone could give me some insight that would be great!
Yes. It's a great school for getting an ADA job in Texas. Which means you're going six figures in debt for a job that will probably start around 35K. Make sure your lsat score is high enough to get significant money from them.

Also, Dallas DA's start about $58K-$60K. And it qualifies for loan forgiveness after 120 payments.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chippy

New

Post by Chippy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 pm

What are the chances IBR exists several years down the line? GOP already are going after the crappy subsidized loans (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -cuts.html). My guess: next to none.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:09 pm

Chippy wrote:What are the chances IBR exists several years down the line? GOP already are going after the crappy subsidized loans (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -cuts.html). My guess: next to none.
If IBR goes the liability will be placed on the bankers, not the borrowers.

The only immediately pending legislation (which, last I checked, had bipartisan support) was tax exempting the IBR forgiveness.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Public service loan forgiveness is already untaxed.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:17 pm

kalvano wrote:Public service loan forgiveness is already untaxed.
Yeah, but the standard IBR one is, which seems to be pretty much universally regarded as an oversight (in the larger sense).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Baylor is going to prepare you well for litigation but if you're interested in working for the state of TX, you should make them pay for a portion of tuition in exchange for a shitty salary. Otherwise, may not be worth it.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:55 am

What's a baylor?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”