GW vs. UNH ($$$)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ladolcevita

New

GW vs. UNH ($$$)?

Post by ladolcevita » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:40 am

Would I be a total idiot if I passed up GW?

I have a bachelor's in biology with a few years of work experience in biotech industry, and I'm interested in IP law. I got into UNH with a 35k/yr scholarship if I can keep a 3.2 GPA, and I chose it over the other schools I got into in Boston with no scholarship. Then I got a surprise last-minute acceptance off the wait list at George Washington last week. I will have financial help from the parents if I choose GW, but it would still be difficult. GW should be the obvious choice because it's by far the best school I got into and it's well known for IP, plus I wouldn't have to take out loans for the whole cost. But I still have serious doubts. I live in Boston, my boyfriend is here, and I want to stay in the New England area after I graduate. I like skiing and hiking and a more laid back lifestyle, and I was really looking forward to moving to NH. I'm not thrilled about moving to DC. I'm not one of those people who's set on working at a big law firm and living in a big city. I'd have more options graduating from GW, but is it worth going there if UNH is well known regionally and can get me a good job in the area where I want to live? Or would I regret not going to GW? I don't know.

Thoughts?

FlanSolo

Bronze

Re: GW vs. UNH ($$$)?

Post by FlanSolo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:54 am

It sounds like you have a lot of legitimate real life reasons to go to UNH, especially if that's where you'd like to live, aren't particularly interested in BigLaw, and enjoy the lifestyle. One big question though is how hard is it going to be to maintain the 3.2? Have you looked at the curve?

ladolcevita

New

Post by ladolcevita » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Yeah it's scaled to a 3.0 average. I have no idea how hard it will be to keep up a 3.2 - I expect law school to be a lot of work regardless of where I go. But if my GPA falls below a 3.2, the scholarship decreases proportionally so I wouldn't lose all of it if my GPA fell a little bit short.

kristyk

New

Post by kristyk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Some thoughts:

1. I agree with FlanSolo that you have legit real-life reasons to go to UNH. I know someone with a molecular biology background who went to UNH for IP law. He's done very well for himself (he's a partner at a law firm in upstate NY).

2. Call UNH and see if they can lower the GPA stip on your scholarship. Tell them you have an offer from GW but ideally would want to stay in New England and attend UNH. Say that you understand law school is partly a financial decision and you want to go where you have the scholarship, but if you lost it and had passed on GW, you would be upset / regret your decision. See what they say. The worst that could happen is they say no.

3. That being said, I don't think it's a bad idea to visit DC. Have you ever been? I've lived in DC for the past 3+ years. I'm also from New England and wasn't in love with the idea of moving to a city. But it's not a big/overwhelming city like NY or LA, and there are a bunch of parks and bike paths and places to walk, run, hike, etc. in the DC/VA/MD area. Better to pass on GW after visiting the school and city, knowing you're making the right decision for you.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your decision! :)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:20 pm

UNH seems to fit your situation better than GWU. Have you calculated total COA for GWU ? Probably around $220,000 if modest tuition increases are included.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:27 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:UNH seems to fit your situation better than GWU. Have you calculated total COA for GWU ? Probably around $220,000 if modest tuition increases are included.
Sticker at GWU is already $225,000 and that isn't counting any tuition increases.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:01 pm

tl;dr, what's the curve at UNH like?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:34 pm

This is the exact decision I had to make. Had 35k/yr at UNH. Chose GW.

Chippy

New

Post by Chippy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:47 pm

androstan wrote:This is the exact decision I had to make. Had 35k/yr at UNH. Chose GW.
You're completely nuts. GW isn't worth anything close to sticker.

200k+ debt is mind boggling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:51 pm

retake for T14 all other schools are worthless

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:53 pm

monarchylover wrote:retake for T14 all other schools are worthless
Or a T1 with a big scholarship

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Or a T1 with a big scholarship
yea for retarded people

ladolcevita

New

Post by ladolcevita » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Just saw this today about UNH:

http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/20 ... rsity.html

Is this site credible or just full of bitter people who were at the bottom of their class?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ladolcevita

New

Post by ladolcevita » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 pm

That's not an option for me, it's my college GPA that held me back from better schools :P

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:15 pm

UNH doesn't report enough info to accurately assess how bad it is, but that is pretty much a signal in and of itself. That they give less info out than most law schools (who already give out very meager info) to me means that you should really avoid it. That being said, GW at sticker is insanely risky and you will realistically have to work in a large firm (if you don't manage to find a PSLF legal job, which are rare) to pay off that kind of debt. Both options are soundly meh that it's really hard to pick one.

Do you live with your boyfriend? Does your GPA put you out of the running at BU/BC?

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:28 pm

ladolcevita wrote:Just saw this today about UNH:

Is this site credible or just full of bitter people who were at the bottom of their class?
You should evaluate the data and arguments presented at scamblogs independently of whether or not they are written by "bitter people who were at the bottom of their class." I personally think the main points of scambloggers are very valid:
1) Law schools, particularly TTTs, are way too risky and costly for the potential benefits;
2) Law schools openly lie and mislead about the career and employment prospects of their graduates.

ladolcevita

New

Post by ladolcevita » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 am

bk187 wrote:UNH doesn't report enough info to accurately assess how bad it is, but that is pretty much a signal in and of itself. That they give less info out than most law schools (who already give out very meager info) to me means that you should really avoid it. That being said, GW at sticker is insanely risky and you will realistically have to work in a large firm (if you don't manage to find a PSLF legal job, which are rare) to pay off that kind of debt. Both options are soundly meh that it's really hard to pick one.

Do you live with your boyfriend? Does your GPA put you out of the running at BU/BC?

We do not live together - we would if I was going stay in Boston for school. I did not get into either BU or BC, but transferring there is possible if I get good grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladolcevita

New

Post by ladolcevita » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am

scammedhard wrote:
ladolcevita wrote:Just saw this today about UNH:

You should evaluate the data and arguments presented at scamblogs independently of whether or not they are written by "bitter people who were at the bottom of their class." I personally think the main points of scambloggers are very valid:
1) Law schools, particularly TTTs, are way too risky and costly for the potential benefits;
2) Law schools openly lie and mislead about the career and employment prospects of their graduates.
I realize that, and if I hadn't gotten a big scholarship at UNH I would definitely not go there. The scholarship is key - if I can't find a job right away, it's not so bad because I won't be under financial pressure. I could very well end up in the same situation after GW, but having spent insane amounts of money. But I think it does matter who writes this stuff, because people who get good jobs wouldn't be posting on such blogs so it might not be an objective assessment of the school's quality.

Every law school gives misleading post-grad employment data, not just schools that end up on scam blogs. Knowing this doesn't really help me decide!

ladolcevita

New

Post by ladolcevita » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:19 am

ach24 wrote:
ladolcevita wrote:
bk187 wrote:UNH doesn't report enough info to accurately assess how bad it is, but that is pretty much a signal in and of itself. That they give less info out than most law schools (who already give out very meager info) to me means that you should really avoid it. That being said, GW at sticker is insanely risky and you will realistically have to work in a large firm (if you don't manage to find a PSLF legal job, which are rare) to pay off that kind of debt. Both options are soundly meh that it's really hard to pick one.

We do not live together - we would if I was going stay in Boston for school. I did not get into either BU or BC, but transferring there is possible if I get good grades.
Definitely do not count on transferring.

Is proximity to boyfriend a large factor?
Yes, but I think if I was in DC for 3 years we'd still stay together. It would just be difficult and stressful. I know I can't count on transferring, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. I just don't know yet.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:22 am

I'm surprised people aren't focusing more on the scholarship stips. If you lose your scholarship at UNH, you are absolutely screwed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rangers0412

New

Post by rangers0412 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:38 am

If you are against waiting another year to obtain better options take the money and go to UNH. If you lose your scholarship you were probably going to have a tough time finding a job anyway, so you can drop out with minimal financial loss. If you had under a 3.2 at GW you would be more screwed because you'd be in tons of debt with a poor chance at a job. Honestly imagine it being 3 years from now and you have 200k+ of debt and can't find a job. No thanks. The job market could get better but it could also get worse (it will probably get worse).

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

rangers0412 wrote:If you are against waiting another year to obtain better options take the money and go to UNH. If you lose your scholarship you were probably going to have a tough time finding a job anyway, so you can drop out with minimal financial loss. If you had under a 3.2 at GW you would be more screwed because you'd be in tons of debt with a poor chance at a job. Honestly imagine it being 3 years from now and you have 200k+ of debt and can't find a job. No thanks. The job market could get better but it could also get worse (it will probably get worse).
This whole post is true except the last sentence. The market is improving right now, chances are that when OP does OCI (if OP goes to GW), it will be better than this year's OCI. Still, you'd have to be at least top 1/3 to make it worth it. Not worth it.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:57 pm

See my detailed posting of UNH's most recent employment data here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&start=75

HTH

Chose GW so I can work here at the patent office while going PT. Also they gave me 11k in need-based aid. Also not a stark, cold, frozen tundra for 4 months each year.

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:03 pm

I know unemployed GW grads. Why pay sticker at an overpriced school? Go to UNH.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”