HELP: George Washington (Sticker) vs Seton Hall (Full Ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School Should I Choose?

George Washington (Sticker)
51%
Seton Hall (Full Ride)
49%

Total votes: 39

SuburbanSaint

HELP: George Washington (Sticker) vs Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby SuburbanSaint » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Hey all,

I am appealing to the collective wisdom of TLS posters to provide me with some much needed advice. I need to make this decision ASAP and could use some new viewpoints since I just got off the wait list at GW. I want to work for the government in International Law, but I'm not sure if the better opportunities at GW outweigh the massive debt. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

ndirish2010

Re: HELP: George Washington (Sticker) vs Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:36 pm

GW is not worth the debt, Seton Hall is not worth it period. Retake. International law does not exist.

Chippy

Postby Chippy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:40 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:GW is not worth the debt, Seton Hall is not worth it period. Retake. International law does not exist.

People, irish always seem to hit the mark. These "Choosing a Law School" threads should just be turned into "Q and A for irish". No 0Ls could answer threads and provide bullocks nonsense answers.

I am just not sure that 0Ls know what 200k+ looks like. I would retake, or go to Seton Hall for 1l and drop out if not in top 10 percent of the class.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Nothing in-between?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Chippy wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:GW is not worth the debt, Seton Hall is not worth it period. Retake. International law does not exist.

People, irish always seem to hit the mark. These "Choosing a Law School" threads should just be turned into "Q and A for irish". No 0Ls could answer threads and provide bullocks nonsense answers.

I am just not sure that 0Ls know what 200k+ looks like. I would retake, or go to Seton Hall for 1l and drop out if not in top 10 percent of the class.

Don't know if I deserve that much respect haha. The only problem with your second option is that OP can't go back to law school ever if OP is not in the top 10%. Retaking here just makes so much more sense.

I got into GW at sticker but had many other options in the T30 with quite a bit of money...these can't be your only two choices?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:45 pm

This is pretty succinctly it, though there may be some situations where SHU with a full ride could be conceivable (but with OP's goals this is not one of them).

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Do people at Seton Hall actually get interviews?

Who are they competing with directly, or almost directly?

Yale
Harvard
NYU
Fordham
Penn

yeah . . . . GW @ sticker.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 pm

If you forced me to choose one, I'd pick Seton Hall because I dislike soul-crushing debt.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Take Seton Hall, be fully committed to dropout if not keeping the scholarship.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:33 am

Stipulations on scholarship?

CurbYourEnthusiasm

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:06 pm

I'd go SH, but it depends where you want to work. I really don't get why people rag on SH if you're getting close to a full ride (maybe its just my NJ bias). Its placement stats aren't THAT horrible. Now, if you're paying anything close to sticker, then yeah, it's a poor decision, but a full ride here is pretty solid. Their 2009 placement stats:

--LinkRemoved--

They were also top 35 last year in NLJ placement (although obviously these rankings fluctuate year to year). OP, a lot depeds on where you want to work. If you live in NJ, then SH is the obvious choice. Otherwise, GW is the better bet for just about everything (government, big law), but you'll be crushed by debt. Tough decision you have.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:19 pm

CurbYourEnthusiasm wrote:I'd go SH, but it depends where you want to work. I really don't get why people rag on SH if you're getting close to a full ride (maybe its just my NJ bias). Its placement stats aren't THAT horrible. Now, if you're paying anything close to sticker, then yeah, it's a poor decision, but a full ride here is pretty solid. Their 2009 placement stats:

--LinkRemoved--

They were also top 35 last year in NLJ placement (although obviously these rankings fluctuate year to year). OP, a lot depeds on where you want to work. If you live in NJ, then SH is the obvious choice. Otherwise, GW is the better bet for just about everything (government, big law), but you'll be crushed by debt. Tough decision you have.

People rag on SH because they hand out near full rides like candy on Halloween and then yank them from half the class after 1L because of their ridiculous stips.

CurbYourEnthusiasm

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:26 pm

loblaw wrote:
CurbYourEnthusiasm wrote:I'd go SH, but it depends where you want to work. I really don't get why people rag on SH if you're getting close to a full ride (maybe its just my NJ bias). Its placement stats aren't THAT horrible. Now, if you're paying anything close to sticker, then yeah, it's a poor decision, but a full ride here is pretty solid. Their 2009 placement stats:

--LinkRemoved--

People rag on SH because they hand out near full rides like candy on Halloween and then yank them from half the class after 1L because of their ridiculous stips.

Fair point. The OP could always take the gamble and go for a year, and drops out if he/she loses the scholly. Think we need more info from the OP besides the fact they want 'international law.'

Return to “Choosing a Law School”