Where would you go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go?

UVA (sticker)
13
93%
Cornell (sticker)
0
No votes
GULC (sticker)
0
No votes
WUSTL ($28,000/year)
1
7%
UMN ($20,000/year)
0
No votes
ILL ($30,000/year)
0
No votes
IUB ($40,000/year)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 14

ArtVandalay
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 am

Where would you go?

Postby ArtVandalay » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:46 am

Trying to figure out what the TLS consensus is on this. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. I am applying this cycle so yes these schools are hypothetical, but based off of strong TLS/LSN research of acceptance/$$. So Just try and give your opinion on where you would choose. Location for school not a big deal. No undergrad debt, would have some help paying for LS but close to half would be from loans of mine.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Where would you go?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 am

If debt averse, WUSTL/UIUC and be prepared for midwest.

If not, UVA.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: Where would you go?

Postby chem » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 am

I voted for WUSTL. I think St. Louis would be more fun then Illinois, and I haven't heard too many good thinks about IUB. As you know from being on these boards, there are no guarantees no matter where you go for law school, so you might as well minimize your debt

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Where would you go?

Postby cinephile » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:02 am

Where do you want to end up? If Chicago, go with Illinois. For Indiana, go with IU-B. Minnesota, etc.

ETA: I wouldn't pay sticker anywhere.
Last edited by cinephile on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Where would you go?

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:04 am

Out of the schools you have listed, UVA, even at sticker, is far and away your best option, followed by Cornell at sticker. It might be wise to take money elsewhere over GULC at sticker.

Visit http://www.lawschooltransparency.com and look at employment statistics for these schools. You'll notice a rather large dropoff in reported salaries (unreported salaries usually mean that the person was too ashamed by their shitty job to report the salary back to the law school) between T10 schools and T20 schools.

Good luck getting into UVA! It sounds like you should apply early there if you think you would be paying sticker anyway.

Note: If you have a geographic preference for somewhere that isn't the mid Atlantic, AND you don't have ties to that region, you might be better off somewhere that's not UVA. Otherwise, going to the better school is usually the right option.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Where would you go?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:11 am

WUSTL and UIUC with big money > GULC sticker. Cornell is more debatable.

ArtVandalay
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 am

Re: Where would you go?

Postby ArtVandalay » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks for all of the responses! The reason I say UVA sticker is because I would only get in with an ED, but very good odds. Anyway, wouldnt UVA offer the most portability even well out of the mid-Atlantic? I love Chicago but not 100% set on it and could potentially wind up in Minneapolis but don't want to bound myself too it. Would even consider St louis and would eventually like to be in LA. Wouldn't mind DC either for a while so I guess that's why I said location didn't really matter

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28046
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Where would you go?

Postby Kronk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:22 am

ArtVandalay wrote:Thanks for all of the responses! The reason I say UVA sticker is because I would only get in with an ED, but very good odds. Anyway, wouldnt UVA offer the most portability even well out of the mid-Atlantic? I love Chicago but not 100% set on it and could potentially wind up in Minneapolis but don't want to bound myself too it. Would even consider St louis and would eventually like to be in LA. Wouldn't mind DC either for a while so I guess that's why I said location didn't really matter


You'd eventually like to be in LA? Why aren't you considering UCLA or USC?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Where would you go?

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:25 am

ArtVandalay wrote:I am applying this cycle so yes these schools are hypothetical, but based off of strong TLS/LSN research of acceptance/$$.


This thread is ridiculous.

ArtVandalay
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 am

Re: Where would you go?

Postby ArtVandalay » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:33 am

Helmholtz wrote:
ArtVandalay wrote:I am applying this cycle so yes these schools are hypothetical, but based off of strong TLS/LSN research of acceptance/$$.


This thread is ridiculous.


Thanks for the insight. Anyway. I most likely wouldn't get into USC or UCLA as I am a splitter

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Where would you go?

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:59 am

ArtVandalay wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
ArtVandalay wrote:I am applying this cycle so yes these schools are hypothetical, but based off of strong TLS/LSN research of acceptance/$$.


This thread is ridiculous.


Thanks for the insight.


You're welcome. How about you PM me after getting acceptances and scholarship money and then I can unlock this thread for you?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests