Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SLS_AMG
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby SLS_AMG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Title says it all: Which is the best of these schools for a student that wants to go into Big Law?

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby quakeroats » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:34 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:Title says it all: Which is the best of these schools for a student that wants to go into Big Law?


Duke for if New York, D.C., California and the south are in play. Cornell is you're all right being limited to New York. Michigan for Detroit and Chicago.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:39 pm

Cornell placed best in biglaw last year of those 3. Unless you hate NY go to Cornell.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:46 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Cornell placed best in biglaw last year of those 3. Unless you hate NY go to Cornell.


The year before it was the worst. Making bold proclamations on one year of NLJ250 is stupid.

stylishlaw
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby stylishlaw » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:04 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Cornell placed best in biglaw last year of those 3. Unless you hate NY go to Cornell.


Actually, historically Duke places the best among those three. But honestly, this is really just go where the money is.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby crossarmant » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:41 am

Yeah, go where you're getting money. Other wise you're just splitting hairs between them all. The fluctuations on how many go into BigLaw from each will change with each class simply due to the composition of the class. They're all fantastic choices, so pick whatever's cheapest and the area you'd enjoy the most.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:24 am

If you want a shot at Chicago, Michigan. If you just want biglaw somewhere, all three are fine.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby fingersxd » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:50 am

Historical placement amont the three is comparable. Thus you decision should depend entirely on (i) where you want to practice and (ii) relative CoA.scholarships.

Until we have that info available, it's hard (and generally a useless exercise) to advise one way or another. I would say that, Duke/Michigan > Cornell for everywhere outside of NY/Boston.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:42 am

M unless you specifically want the south or NYC.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby quakeroats » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:M unless you specifically want the south or NYC.


or D.C. or California.

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby sanetruth » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:16 pm

quakeroats wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:M unless you specifically want the south or NYC.


or D.C. or California.


I'll give Duke D.C., but I don't know about California. I've heard that of MVPDCG, Mich has by far the best reach out west.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Peer schools are peer.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:17 pm

West Coast big law is a flame. SF has like 100 spots a summer. And you gotta compete with Stanford, Boalt, UCLA, USC and the top of all the TTT's out there.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13530
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:18 pm

quakeroats wrote:Michigan for Detroit and Chicago.

LOL Detroit big lawl

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Duke is very good for Southern biglaw, but they didn't even place 40% into the NLJ250 for the C/O 2010 (C/O 2009 wasn't that pretty either). So I would be careful there.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Flips88 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Michigan for Detroit and Chicago.

LOL Detroit big lawl


LOL Chicago big lawl as well.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Duke is very good for Southern biglaw, but they didn't even place 40% into the NLJ250 for the C/O 2010 (C/O 2009 wasn't that pretty either). So I would be careful there.


Quaker Oats shall smite thee with his flaming sword.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Michigan for Detroit and Chicago.

LOL Detroit big lawl


LOL Chicago big lawl as well.


Bigger LOL for Detroit. Chicago at least has around 400 spots for SAs this year.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:West Coast big law is a flame. SF has like 100 spots a summer. And you gotta compete with Stanford, Boalt, UCLA, USC and the top of all the TTT's out there.


Why you gotta crush my dreams, brah? :(

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:22 pm

I really doubt a median student at Duke has a better shot at DC than a median student from Michigan, and the top 10% at either is probably going to do okay there. It's probably more hurtful than helpful to choose a school for its DC placement.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:23 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Duke is very good for Southern biglaw, but they didn't even place 40% into the NLJ250 for the C/O 2010 (C/O 2009 wasn't that pretty either). So I would be careful there.


Quaker Oats shall smite thee with his flaming sword.


I forgot about quakeroats. OP, do you really want to be surrounded by people like that for three years? Then again, there's a very good chance that he's a UNC Law troll trying to make Duke look bad so UNC can return to its rightful spot as the king of Charlotte biglaw.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:23 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Michigan for Detroit and Chicago.

LOL Detroit big lawl


LOL Chicago big lawl as well.


Bigger LOL for Detroit. Chicago at least has around 400 spots for SAs this year.


With at least 2000 lawl students in state, and probably 2000 more from other midwestern schools.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:25 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Duke is very good for Southern biglaw, but they didn't even place 40% into the NLJ250 for the C/O 2010 (C/O 2009 wasn't that pretty either). So I would be careful there.


Quaker Oats shall smite thee with his flaming sword.


I forgot about quakeroats. OP, do you really want to be surrounded by people like that for three years? Then again, there's a very good chance that he's a UNC Law troll trying to make Duke look bad so UNC can return to its rightful spot as the king of Charlotte biglaw.


Dude, he's got a DFW avatar and uses 50 words to say what he could in 5. Coupled with his Duke Law Degree, he is on the fastpath to SULCROM equity partnership.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13530
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Get market paying big law in Detroit->Use $40,000 to buy entire neighborhood worth of houses->Invest another $40,000 in kevlar and ak47s

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Best for Big Law: UMich, Duke, or Cornell?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Flips88 wrote:Get market paying big law in Detroit->Use $40,000 to buy entire neighborhood worth of houses->Invest another $40,000 in kevlar and ak47s


Yea but those neighborhoods aren't even worth 40K.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests