Kent vs. Drexel

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tarp

Re: Kent vs. Drexel

Postby tarp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:57 pm

The legal job market sucks right now, and it sucks even worse if you're at a new law school, but either way you are not guaranteed a job. I know many students at Drexel who have employment lined up after the bar exam this year and many who do not. It is the reality of the economic situation. I also know GW and Georgetown grads who are unemployed. Unless you are prepared to hang your own shingle or scrape by with non-legal work until the legal market improves, do not go to law school. Unless you are in the top of your class, your prospects are dim for finding legal employment. This is true at Drexel, and this is true at any school in the country right now with the possible exception of the Top 14 where you still don't want to come out at the bottom of your class. I plan on opening my own firm, and don't plan on even applying for any jobs (though I'd have a shot being near the top of my class) because a) I know what kind of law I want to do and b) I am damn good at it. This solution may not work for everybody.

tarp

Postby tarp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Do graduates of any school help new lawyers get jobs? I think they are too busy trying to handle their own jobs, if they have them in this economy. I call bullshit.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:23 pm

tarp wrote:Do graduates of any school help new lawyers get jobs? I think they are too busy trying to handle their own jobs, if they have them in this economy. I call bullshit.

Actually, at my T2 school, they have a mentor program where you can be matched up with an alum of the school who works in a large law firm or other area of career interest. While it's certainly no guarantee of a job, the mentors are very friendly, interested in seeing their assigned student be successful and absolutely can serve as a boost if you are otherwise qualified.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:35 pm

tarp wrote:Do graduates of any school help new lawyers get jobs? I think they are too busy trying to handle their own jobs, if they have them in this economy. I call bullshit.

Obviously this is your perspective because, you know, your school doesn't have any alumni yet.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:38 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Obviously this is your perspective because, you know, your school doesn't have any alumni yet.

:lol:

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:02 am

beach_terror wrote:

HAHA; OP, don't listen to Tarp. Seriously.

tarp

Postby tarp » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am

Yes, just listen to whiny little brats like "noooooyliiiibbbsssss" who will end up unemployed and in default on their student loans.
:D

Return to “Choosing a Law School”