Where to go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zicker1352

Where to go?

Postby zicker1352 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:58 pm

I am currently looking for law schools, but cannot decide where would be my best option. I have a 3.95 gpa and took the LSAT once: 163. I am also finishing my undergraduate in 3 years as the University of Nebraska, and would prefer not to retake the LSAT. I am from Nebraska, and instate Nebraska Law tuition is the cheapest option by far, but should I look farther? Any good schools out there that I should take a look at? Region wise, I have heard good things about Iowa, but I have always had a hope to go to Berkeley. Thanks for any input you may have.

Lawquacious

Re: Where to go?

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:05 pm

zicker1352 wrote:I am currently looking for law schools, but cannot decide where would be my best option. I have a 3.95 gpa and took the LSAT once: 163. I am also finishing my undergraduate in 3 years as the University of Nebraska, and would prefer not to retake the LSAT. I am from Nebraska, and instate Nebraska Law tuition is the cheapest option by far, but should I look farther? Any good schools out there that I should take a look at? Region wise, I have heard good things about Iowa, but I have always had a hope to go to Berkeley. Thanks for any input you may have.

Retake dude. Seriously. That is way too strong a GPA to waste with a 163. Not that its a bad score by any means, but if you can improve by even 5 points you will have a whole other world of options.

zicker1352

Postby zicker1352 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
zicker1352 wrote:I am currently looking for law schools, but cannot decide where would be my best option. I have a 3.95 gpa and took the LSAT once: 163. I am also finishing my undergraduate in 3 years as the University of Nebraska, and would prefer not to retake the LSAT. I am from Nebraska, and instate Nebraska Law tuition is the cheapest option by far, but should I look farther? Any good schools out there that I should take a look at? Region wise, I have heard good things about Iowa, but I have always had a hope to go to Berkeley. Thanks for any input you may have.

Retake dude. Seriously. That is way too strong a GPA to waste with a 163. Not that its a bad score by any means, but if you can improve by even 5 points you will have a whole other world of options.

What options are we talking about? Scholarships, better schools? If I were to pick a school, I would pick Berkeley. How much of an improvement would I need to get in?

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:56 am

From looking at LSN, there are, of course, no true numbers auto-admits at Berkeley (a 4.0,178 was WLed), but with a 3.95 a 169 seems to be the cut-off to having near a 50/50 shot, a 170 will give you very good odds, and a 173 and up is pretty darn likely an admit. lawschoolnumbers.com DO IT.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:57 am

Although now that I look at it that 4.0/178 WL looks extreeeeemely like YP.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:09 am

zicker1352 wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

What options are we talking about? Scholarships, better schools? If I were to pick a school, I would pick Berkeley. How much of an improvement would I need to get in?

Both of the above (schollys and better schools). With that GPA the sky is pretty much the limit. I mean you already might get partial scholly (or maaaybe even better) with your numbers as is at Nebraska, but a higher LSAT would probably guarantee a full ride to Nebraska if you were set on staying in state and it will give you a shot at some of the top schools (once you add 5+ points). If you can add 10+ points you'd be getting into Y/ H/ S territory if you could put together some strong apps (for Y and S you generally need some pretty strong softs in addition to the scores). But really it might be worth another year (or even two if that is what it takes) to get that extra 10+ points. You'd be in with money at lower T14s (and I believe Berkeley matches other T14 options if you show them the offer once they have accepted you).

zicker1352

Postby zicker1352 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:37 am

Could I retake in October and then still apply for Fall 2012? Or should I wait another year?

My last year will be this fall and spring, so on my applications I won't have that I graduated with honors (which I should) or have my undergraduate thesis done. I am also planning on having some experience with presenting at national conferences by the end of this next year. Is it worth waiting a year to have that all on my application as well?

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:22 pm

zicker1352 wrote:Could I retake in October and then still apply for Fall 2012? Or should I wait another year?

Yes, but everything else should be ready to go. If your COMPLETED apps are sent before Thanksgiving, you should be OK; otherwise, it's better to wait a year. And if you do wait a year, you should retake a 3rd time because you should use all the ammo provided to try to hit the bull's eye.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Advantage of early apps > advantage of marginal soft honors (Latin honors/theses/conference)

1. Improve LSAT 168+
2. Submit 9/1
3. Receive scholly's out the wazoo
4. Weigh options on the following criteria: (??? FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF)
5. Top 25%
6. $$$
7. Dome

Best of luck. Remember #2.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:43 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Advantage of early apps > advantage of marginal soft honors (Latin honors/theses/conference)

1. Improve LSAT 168+
2. Submit 9/1
5. Top 25%
6. $$$
7. Dome

#2 isn't that important. Applying 9/1 isn't significantly better than applying on 11/1 (after October LSAT results are in), but having a possibility of a better LSAT is worth waiting 2 months.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:37 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Advantage of early apps > advantage of marginal soft honors (Latin honors/theses/conference)

1. Improve LSAT 168+
2. Submit 9/1
5. Top 25%
6. $$$
7. Dome

no

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 am

bk1 wrote:

1. Improve LSAT 168+
2. Submit 9/1
5. Top 25%
6. $$$
7. Dome

#2 isn't that important. Applying 9/1 isn't significantly better than applying on 11/1 (after October LSAT results are in), but having a possibility of a better LSAT is worth waiting 2 months.

This.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 am

Minnesota, Iowa, Notre Dame, Indiana & WashUStL are options if you want to remain in the Midwest.

Try lawschoolpredictor.com Play around with different LSAT scores to get an idea how much a couple or a few points will help. You have hope in the lower half of the top 14.

Better to retake to raise your chances for elite law schools.

bluebird22

Postby bluebird22 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:09 am

Hey! I had virtually the same numbers as you have (163, 3.93) when I applied. Like you're getting, I had a lot of people tell me to retake but I just didn't want to. I just finished my first year so your results may be slightly different. I also didn't apply till February (which was so stupid) but I really think people underestimate the power of the really high GPA. You're probably not going to get any T-14 schools unless you're an URM but anything from 14-25 is a reach, 25-35 are targets and anything below 35 is a safety. Good Luck!

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:24 am

retake fellow husker. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

zicker1352

Postby zicker1352 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:31 pm

I guess it is really looking like I may be retaking.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks everyone!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”