Why does TLS generalize law school grades as a lottery?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gatriel

Re: Why does TLS generalize law school grades as a lottery?

Postby Gatriel » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:41 am

Lolek wrote:Don't you think after a few classes it becomes about a little more than just luckily landing on the greener side of the grass?

No. I did pretty well in my first year, and I always walked out of an exam feeling like an imbecile. Talk to professors how they grade, their ambiguity and inconsistency will amaze you.

And remember, and A in UG and an A is LS mean two totally different things.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Gatriel wrote:
Lolek wrote:Don't you think after a few classes it becomes about a little more than just luckily landing on the greener side of the grass?

No. I did pretty well in my first year, and I always walked out of an exam feeling like an imbecile. Talk to professors how they grade, their ambiguity and inconsistency will amaze you.

The arbitrariness of the individual grades gets reduced by the cumulative GPA. For example, even if it's 60% innate, 20% work, and 20% luck in each class, like I like to say, those figures get compounded in some (crazy) way such that it reduces the arbitrariness of your cumulative GPA.

drylo

Postby drylo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:36 am

Bronte wrote:
Gatriel wrote:

The arbitrariness of the individual grades gets reduced by the cumulative GPA. For example, even if it's 60% innate, 20% work, and 20% luck in each class, like I like to say, those figures get compounded in some (crazy) way such that it reduces the arbitrariness of your cumulative GPA.

Maybe, but it is a very small sample size.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”