Help critique/evaluate potential schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
splitster1221

Help critique/evaluate potential schools

Postby splitster1221 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:44 pm

I am applying for the 2011-12 cycle with a 3.2 GPA and 171 LSAT. I'm having a hard time deciding where to apply/ED and whether I am being realistic. This is my thinking so far:

Reaches:
Mich
Penn
Duke
UVA (ED)
UCLA

Hopefully get in:
GULC
Cornell
Vandy
USC
UCI
BU/BC

Probably in and with $ for some:
WUSTL
MINN
ILL
IUB
UIUC

Is this a good mind-set or totally off? Can anyone help to add/subtract schools or regroup them? Chances at the schools based on experience/knowledge? (I have searched around LSN for ideas)

Hopefully this cycle is slightly easier for admissions but who knows. Thanks TLS

jawsthegreat

Re: Help critique/evaluate potential schools

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:46 pm

You are in at UVa ED if you apply in Sept/Oct.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:47 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:You are in at UVa ED if you apply in Sept/Oct.

+1

If you don't mind paying sticker, ED UVA on 9/1 and be done with it.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Also if you do ED UVA... please do yourself a favor and wait the 15 days before potentially wasting money to send out the other apps.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Looks good, although I'd say Vandy, Cornell and USC are just as much reaches. Do you have WE? If so add northwestern to your targets. if not, to reaches.

Strangely enough, i'd say Duke is the biggest reach of all cause they love GPAs, so that may not even deserve to be on the list at all.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:52 pm

UCLA and BC/BU are known to like high GPAs as well.

splitster1221

Postby splitster1221 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:53 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Also if you do ED UVA... please do yourself a favor and wait the 15 days before potentially wasting money to send out the other apps.

Thanks, was aware of their quick turn around so for schools without a waiver I would definitely wait before clicking submit until I heard from UVA.

Any other opinions on my list? Would applying to UVA any time before Thanksgiving yield the same result or will it get murkier by early November? Almost considering re-taking in Oct because I was PTing higher.

Also, I saw without WE to add NU to my reaches? I would think without WE applying is pointless, but is there a chance? Really like Chicago (the city). I have other internship-type WE in college that may push my chances up from 0 idk how it works

splitster1221

Postby splitster1221 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:55 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:UCLA and BC/BU are known to like high GPAs as well.

Yeah that's why I put UCLA in reaches. I thought USC was a little more lenient but who knows. I just would love to have an opportunity to go to school in CA, but probably only would if I got UCLA or USC. BU I know is a stretch bc of GPA too, I would rather take a place like UIUC/MINN with $$$ over BU anyway.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Add NDLS as well if you're going to apply to UIUC/WUSTL.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:59 pm

splitster1221 wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:Also if you do ED UVA... please do yourself a favor and wait the 15 days before potentially wasting money to send out the other apps.

Thanks, was aware of their quick turn around so for schools without a waiver I would definitely wait before clicking submit until I heard from UVA.

Any other opinions on my list? Would applying to UVA any time before Thanksgiving yield the same result or will it get murkier by early November? Almost considering re-taking in Oct because I was PTing higher.

Also, I saw without WE to add NU to my reaches? I would think without WE applying is pointless, but is there a chance? Really like Chicago (the city). I have other internship-type WE in college that may push my chances up from 0 idk how it works

I think your shot at northwestern is zero without some full time work experience post grad. I applied (got held and withdrew) because of a fee waiver, wish I had spent that 12 bucks on beer. Don't even apply to schools with a fee waiver until you hear from UVA if you do ED, why waste the 12 bucks? I think if you do want to do ED I would do it asap. Also I don't think you would benefit too much from a retake. It is your gpa that is holding you back. If you got higher that be great, but I don't think it make much of a difference in your cycle barring a miracle WL acceptance to CCN (saw someone on the board got in off the WL at NYU with a low 3.x/178).

splitster1221

Postby splitster1221 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah I don't think I will actually retake, and I know it's my GPA holding me back. I guess I was just wondering about the UVA ED and how late it can go until shutting out people with my numbers. Thanks though, any other input?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”