Joint degree: JD and MA in native american studies?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BackToTheOldHouse

Re: Joint degree: JD and MA in native american studies?

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:00 am

I know of a great school that suits your needs, but I don't want to share it with you because you would soil their reputation if you attended.

HTH

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Samara wrote:
mbw wrote:
RonPaulConservative wrote:Edited to add: and, btw, we dealt with decades of the Ron Paul-style federal Indian policy you espouse -- it was called the Termination Period...

One might call that Jacksonian policy. Anys power without empathy espouses manipulation. The NA in native american studies would simple add to my "felt life level."

You really don't know anything about American Indian history, do you? Jacksonian removal policies were genocidal, and had nothing to do with Termination Period policies put forth more than a century later.

James espoused actually engaging subjects, not merely reading about them in a book. You want to up your "felt life level"? Go live on the Rosebud for a year or two.

I assume you're talking about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_termination_policy

If I understand this correctly, this is the topic of a, rather interesting, RC passage from PT9 (Oct 1993). Sounds like OP needs to catch up to those studying for the LSAT before pursuing an MA.

Beat me to it.

boilerplated

Postby boilerplated » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:43 pm

Very obvious answer that no one has mentioned: http://www.colorado.edu/law/centers/programs/indianlaw/

Grond

Postby Grond » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:53 pm

mbw wrote:
RonPaulConservative wrote:I'm thinking about getting a law degree while supplementing it with a M.A. in Native American studies. Does anyone have any information on schools that offer this type of joint degree or programs similar to this. I'm very interested in Native American advocacy and want to focus on going to schools with a Native American clinical program as well. If anyone has any information about the nature of these types of programs and the advantages that the dual degree might offer to someone pursuing it let me know, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RPC

Trying not to chuckle here as I post. Having an MA in Native American Studies will add nothing to your J.D. NAS has nothing to do with Federal Indian Law. If you're aiming to be a wannabe dilettante, then do your joint degree. If you want to be a tribal lawyer (or an anti-sovereignty lawyer,) then go to the highest ranked school that offers at least one Federal Indian Law course. Conversely, go to a lower-ranked school with a strong FIL program (Minnesota, New Mexico, Kansas, Arizona (U and St.).) But if you're truly a big-L libertarian, forget about FIL -- tribal sovereignty is ALL about government -- the US government, tribal government, fighting off state government, and not at all about "personal freedoms". You might find a job at some anti-sovereignty non-profit, but no self-respecting tribe would hire you as a RPC.

Edited to add: and, btw, we dealt with decades of the Ron Paul-style federal Indian policy you espouse -- it was called the Termination Period...

If I'd known you were still around I would have poasted an IBMBW earlier.

mbw

Postby mbw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:09 am

boilerplated wrote:Very obvious answer that no one has mentioned: http://www.colorado.edu/law/centers/programs/indianlaw/

No, this is not the very obvious answer. This is a Federal Indian LAW program, not a Native American Studies program. The two, as I mentioned previously, have very little in common, other than they're both about Indians.

Sometimes, Google is not your friend.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:18 am

South Dakota I think.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”