Fordham vs Brooklyn FULL ride plus 5000 stipend. URGENT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham or Brooklyn with 48000 plus 5000 for expenses

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Fordham
42%
Brooklyn
58%

Total votes: 48

ndirish2010

Re: Fordham vs Brooklyn FULL ride plus 5000 stipend. URGENT

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Helmholtz wrote:and that is how you get tempbanned

Just confused, where did the ban come from?

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:57 pm

To OP: You seem to be very cavalier about spending your parents money, which I bought until you said my parents would be cutting in to their retirement. While Brooklyn will not offer the career opportunities that Fordham will, it is not the pit of the law school world. Having a full ride and 5k stip is a very good offer and Fordham at sticker will be much more difficult to pay for. If you want to do public interest work, Fordham has a great resource center and you can use IBR to help with payments, but neither of those things come close to matching the options you will have by graduating debt free and knowing you didn't cost your parents any leisure in their retirement they may have accrued by working hard their whole lives. I go to Fordham, but if my decision to go there would have serious ramifications on my parents financial comfort, that would make it a much more difficult choice. Make sure you think this through a bit more before just committing yourself to such an important decision.

You, and many others in this thread, also are very freely throwing around the section stacking rumors as though they were facts. I have a friend at Brooklyn who got a scholarship and he has told me that they seem pretty fairly distributed across sections. I am not at all saying 1 story is conclusive, but just saying yeah well Brooklyn section stacks without any well-substantiated reasons why sounds like a very uninformed basis for choosing or avoiding a law school.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:52 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:and that is how you get tempbanned

Just confused, where did the ban come from?

OP started three near-identical threads on this topic in three different forums.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:34 pm

agreed on the parents front especially if you have other siblings. it's just not very fair to them.

but if you're an only child and your parents would love to yenta around the nursing home, "my son the fordham attorney" then i can see it being less selfish.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 pm

OnceUponAMemo wrote:To OP: You seem to be very cavalier about spending your parents money, which I bought until you said my parents would be cutting in to their retirement. While Brooklyn will not offer the career opportunities that Fordham will, it is not the pit of the law school world. Having a full ride and 5k stip is a very good offer and Fordham at sticker will be much more difficult to pay for. If you want to do public interest work, Fordham has a great resource center and you can use IBR to help with payments, but neither of those things come close to matching the options you will have by graduating debt free and knowing you didn't cost your parents any leisure in their retirement they may have accrued by working hard their whole lives. I go to Fordham, but if my decision to go there would have serious ramifications on my parents financial comfort, that would make it a much more difficult choice. Make sure you think this through a bit more before just committing yourself to such an important decision.

You, and many others in this thread, also are very freely throwing around the section stacking rumors as though they were facts. I have a friend at Brooklyn who got a scholarship and he has told me that they seem pretty fairly distributed across sections. I am not at all saying 1 story is conclusive, but just saying yeah well Brooklyn section stacks without any well-substantiated reasons why sounds like a very uninformed basis for choosing or avoiding a law school.

I would say that I know well over a dozen current Brooklyn students or recent grads and they've all told me the same thing re: section stacking. It seems to be something of an acknowledged fact amongst the students their and is far more than hearsay or rumors. Obviously there is no "proof" (after all, nobody is interviewing ALL students w/ scholarships), but I've heard it said far too often by other students to discount it. Graduating debt-free has a lovely ring to it and you won't have to burden your family.

OP, I think Brooklyn is TCR here. If you can't get top 40% at BK (even with section stacking) then there is a reasonable likelihood you wouldn't do it at Fordham either. Yes, it's a better school, but not THAT much better. Just bust your ass and make sure to keep your grades up and you will be fine at BK>

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 pm

fingersxd wrote:I would say that I know well over a dozen current Brooklyn students or recent grads and they've all told me the same thing re: section stacking. It seems to be something of an acknowledged fact amongst the students their and is far more than hearsay or rumors. Obviously there is no "proof" (after all, nobody is interviewing ALL students w/ scholarships), but I've heard it said far too often by other students to discount it. Graduating debt-free has a lovely ring to it and you won't have to burden your family.

OP, I think Brooklyn is TCR here. If you can't get top 40% at BK (even with section stacking) then there is a reasonable likelihood you wouldn't do it at Fordham either. Yes, it's a better school, but not THAT much better. Just bust your ass and make sure to keep your grades up and you will be fine at BK>

That's funny, because I'm a BLS grad, and I also always heard from a lot of people that BLS "stacks sections" - the weird thing, however, was that every single one of those people believed that THEIR section was the stacked section. I never met a single person from one of those mythical non-stacked sections.

I've puzzled over this a bit and I think there are a few good explanations:

1) BLS give out a lot of aid -- I believe 50% or more of its students get at least some merit scholarship. So at least one in two people you meet is going to have a scholarship (not to mention that people who don't have them aren't as likely to go around bragging about it, and some may even lie). That said, I did know at least one person in my supposedly "stacked" section who had $0 aid and made top 5% grades.

2) If the stip is top 40%, there are more scholarships than there are spots anyway, so some are bound to lose their scholarships.

3) People who did well in college get rather upset when they realize how much harder it is to do well in law school (where only a handful of kids in each course get A's, and everyone in your class is smart), and they tend to look for justifications.

I'd also like to add that I think it would be against the school's larger interests to "stack," because that would mean making sure that your honors graduates would not truly represent the best of your school.

atxkid

Postby atxkid » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:25 pm

I have a similar decision to make. So glad to find this thread. So I see 17 ppl voted for Fordham but no one wrote anything. What are your reasons? I d love to hear.

Thx

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:28 pm

atxkid wrote:I have a similar decision to make. So glad to find this thread. So I see 17 ppl voted for Fordham but no one wrote anything. What are your reasons? I d love to hear.

Thx

Rankings whores.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:47 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
atxkid wrote:I have a similar decision to make. So glad to find this thread. So I see 17 ppl voted for Fordham but no one wrote anything. What are your reasons? I d love to hear.

Thx

Rankings whores.

And I think that Fordham is pretty well represented on TLS. Probably has a lot to do with it.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Thx

Rankings whores.

And I think that Fordham is pretty well represented on TLS. Probably has a lot to do with it.

And because OP didn't list "neither" as a choice.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Thx

I voted for Fordham because this particular OP (as opposed to others who have posted similar questions) seems to be getting family financial help.

Fordham clearly places better than BLS and is thus more desireable. The reason you might go with BLS anyway is to take advantage of the scholly and avoid going into major hock to a bank. But the family help removes that rationale.

Seems like OP's family might expect to be repaid when they get older, which muddies the water, but it still seems vastly better to use your family as the financing party than a bank.

Without the family help, I think you can make a good argument for BLS, with the scholarship serving as the financing party, so to speak. But it's a close one, because the scholly does not cover the whole cost of attendance and can be lost due to the stip.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”