Fordham vs Brooklyn FULL ride plus 5000 stipend. URGENT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham or Brooklyn with 48000 plus 5000 for expenses

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Fordham
42%
Brooklyn
58%

Total votes: 48

MultiN

Fordham vs Brooklyn FULL ride plus 5000 stipend. URGENT

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Hello guys,

So I have a decision to make within the next 2 days. I got accepted at Fordham with possible financial aid, and now Brooklyn just increased my scholarship to full ride and 5000 for expenses each year.

What should I do?

I know the majority of people would have picked Fordham in the past, but now more and more people take the money. What do you think?

alumniguy

Re: Fordham vs Brooklyn FULL ride plus 5000 stipend. URGENT

Postby alumniguy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Any stipulations attached to the full ride + stipend?

Inclined to say take the Brooklyn full-ride, plus stipend. If you go to Fordham, you'll likely need to land biglaw and work there for several years just to pay back the loans and be in the same economic situation you'll be in when you graduate from Brooklyn. Certainly not as good as career prospects out of Brooklyn though.

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 pm

MultiN wrote:Hello guys,

So I have a decision to make within the next 2 days. I got accepted at Fordham with possible financial aid, and now Brooklyn just increased my scholarship to full ride and 5000 for expenses each year.

What should I do?

I know the majority of people would have picked Fordham in the past, but now more and more people take the money. What do you think?

Brooklyn is notorious for stacking their sections to make people lose their scholarships (i.e. putting all of the scholarship students in the same section and making a top 30% stipulation on the scholarship.)

School for free is always great, but you just have to be prepared if you lose that scholarship (by prepared, I mean ready to drop out). If you are not ready to commit to that, then do not go to Brooklyn.

Fordham at sticker is also very risky. I am actually about to take that plunge (but living at home, so cost is mitigated a bit), but it is not for the faint of heart.

MultiN

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey guys, Thanks for your replies.

I have to be top 40% to keep the money and then it kinda gets smaller the lower u r in the class rank. I get to keep the 5000 no matter what. I actually knew someone who went to brooklyna dn got 15000 and lost it all, because of that stacking system you mentioned.

I don't really have an option to drop out. I am an international student and have been set on law for years, so even if it came to it, I think I would stick it through, because otherwise I have to go back home and do what? Options aren't so hot for women in other countries as they are here.

I might be able to get some need based from Fordham, but the max for that is 20,000.

I think you guys are right, if you average what I would earn say over 10 years after law school from Fordham with debt and from Brooklyn without. However getting 40,000 a year for 10 years from brooklyn and being stuck in a shity job, isnt as appleaing to me as having a bit more mobility and options in the market and paying off the debt but earning more and having a different status

MultiN

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Finally and most importantly my family might be able to pay for all my school. However they would have to sacrifice a lot. So I might have no debt when I graduate, but I dont want to mooch of their money and have them sell assets, when they didnt have to.

My family is 100% behind me no matter what I choose. So I want to know that I am justified in asking them to spend this. If it gives me a chance at a better future I know they d do it. I just want to make sure I do the right thing by them. If that makes any sense

MultiN

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Hey, guys the ones that have votes, can you write a brief explanation of why you chose the school you did. It would really be appreciated!

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:33 pm

MultiN wrote:Finally and most importantly my family might be able to pay for all my school. However they would have to sacrifice a lot. So I might have no debt when I graduate, but I dont want to mooch of their money and have them sell assets, when they didnt have to.

My family is 100% behind me no matter what I choose. So I want to know that I am justified in asking them to spend this. If it gives me a chance at a better future I know they d do it. I just want to make sure I do the right thing by them. If that makes any sense

If you're family can cover enough to put you about 100k in debt, that would make the situation much better. According to their ASD, the average Fordham Law grad graduates with approximately that much debt, so take from that what you will.

MultiN

Fordham at Sticker vs Brooklyn full ride plus 5000 stipend.

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Hello guys,

I am in great need of advice. I have been accepted to Fordham and its my dream school. I don't think I will be getting any money from them though.

Brookly upgraded the offer to full ride and 5000.

I am not sure if Brooklyn is a distraction or if this is a great offer I should take. Plus there are stipulations on the scholarship. I have to be in top 40%. Not that I won't be but they do put all the kids with great grades and scholarship in one section so then someone has to lose the money. And then you are kinda stuck at Brooklyn for a cheaper price but not cheap enough to justify the difference in opportunties and education between the schools.

That being said, what do you guys think. If you vote, can you write why u chose the school u chose.

Thank you!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:36 pm

NYCbound35 wrote:
MultiN wrote:Finally and most importantly my family might be able to pay for all my school. However they would have to sacrifice a lot. So I might have no debt when I graduate, but I dont want to mooch of their money and have them sell assets, when they didnt have to.

If you're family can cover enough to put you about 100k in debt, that would make the situation much better.

Agreed. If your family can keep your debt to around $100-120k then I think Fordham is the right call. If you really feel like you owe them after graduation you can repay them and act as if it was an interest free loan from them.

splitmuch

Re: Fordham at Sticker vs Brooklyn full ride plus 5000 stipend.

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Career goals? If anything other than biglaw Brooklyn by far.

MultiN

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:40 pm

I think with selling my car (which I had a nice car left from better times when my family was not poor and stuggling because of this crisis and a series of tragedies and sicknesses within the family) and with some money I had left from my father passing away. My family and I can cover this year.

But then there are 2 more years... Which could go either way. So best case, I have no debt, but lots of moral obligation to my family. Worst case, I have 100+ debt. Which might be easier emotionally.. jking. :)

Do you think Fordham opens enough doors for it to be worth it?

OR

I could also say, is it worth saving my family so much money (well I might lose some scholarship from Brooklyn since they stack the classes), and going to Brooklyn. Because life doesnt end at graduation. I am thinking 10 years down the line, where one might end up if they werent to a good or a weaker school kinda thing...

MultiN

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Not sure. I want to go into International Law, but I bet you anything that might change. Not because I am unstable, I am very set on it, but because I hear that once ppl get to law school their ideas of what they want to do with it, change a lot. So I am heading towards that direction with possible changes.

I am pretty ambitious. I want to live well and work hard. So I dont think my idea job would be at a tiny law firm. I guess it means that I would like a shot at big law. If anything its a great experience to have.

I am a strong believer in keeping one's options open. If big/mid law is never an option, I dunno if that's a good thing?

Speak your mind, I am all ears though!

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:44 pm

I voted Brooklyn because that is a great offer and because Fordham is too risky compared to it. There is little risk in Brooklyn, you could drop out and pursue another career path if law doesn't work out without being much in the hole at all. (Not that you'd have too, but its better than being stuck). Also, I feel the stipulation is not as terrible as it could be, with all the pressure on schools to reduce the stipulations it appears some are doing it. Also, you have the same opportunities at Brooklyn as you do at Fordham. Granted those opportunities are harder to come by and require more work to get, but if you are #1 at Brooklyn you will have all the great options that you would have had at Fordham. Now I understand that this is unlikely to happen, but my point is that from either school you will have to make yourself stand out to succeed. Yes there is a larger hurdle to overcome, but it is not like Fordham grads are ushered into Biglaw gigs just for being Fordham grads. And Brooklyn comes with a lot less risk and a bigger upside (a job and no debt). Any job and no debt is something most of us would dream of. If you take Fordham this will not happen for many years unless your parents pay for it, then it becomes an issue of how hard this is for them to do. If they are wealthy maybe Fordham is a no brainer. Otherwise, it must be counted as a huge negative to disadvantage them. This is a family decision of course.

MultiN

Brooklyn$$$$ vs Fordham

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry for double posting. Have very little time to decide and want to get as much input as possible.

Brooklyn full ride and stipend vs Fordham at sticker? Please provide reasoning. :)

Thank you so much!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Brooklyn.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Also it is not like we are talking about NYU vs. Brooklyn here. I know Fordham >> Brooklyn, but its still not a sure bet. or even a t14 bet.

Robespierre

Re: Brooklyn$$$$ vs Fordham

Postby Robespierre » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Does the full ride have the top 40% stipulation?

Are you paying for living expenses, or living with family?

To the extent you have to pay, are you borrowing it all?

What are your career goals?

MultiN

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.

No family isn't wealthy. But has assets to sell. But I feel like I am cutting into my mom's retirement. So I do feel just as responsible. Needless to say when I get a good job, my mother and family will be well taken care of. I would never forget such support and love they are showing me with supporting me 100% with which ever way I go, even though it's their money.

The question is, how do I get that great job? :) I think overall Fordham grads have more opportunities. If I am first in either of the schools I ll be set. But what if I am not. Being 30% at Brooklyn is not close to being 30% in Fordham, or what do you think?

dumbledore

Postby dumbledore » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:51 pm

I agree, it depends on your career goals. If Fordham is your dream school, then go for it. But, personally I would have a really really hard time saying good bye to that full ride plus a stipend. Dayum!

MultiN

Postby MultiN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Totally. But nothing is a sure bet, is it? I knew someone who went to Brooklyn, passed the bar and got a nice job. Nothing crazy but she is happy. And her best friend or cousin or something went to Harvard law and never passed the bar.

Needless to say they don't speak anymore :)

But what I am trying to say is that it's all chances. Nothing is for certain, I just need to make the best guess where I think in 10 years I could be happy with my career and earn enough to make my mother live comfortably after all her support and sacrafice. My family is that tiny.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:56 pm

and that is how you get tempbanned

marcellus

Postby marcellus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:09 pm

What kind of international legal practice would you want to do? Commerical internation law, like cross-border transactions? In this case, you would most likely want to work in a large US law firm. Or would you want to do Public International Law? In this scenario, you would want to work for an NGO or government or multi-national organization.

If you want to do Public International Law, you should be aware that the pay is low and therefore coming out of law school with no debt, or little debt, would be fantastic for you.

I wish you the best choice between your great options.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:08 pm

What do you get to keep if you're say top 50 or top 60%?

I think Brooklyn is the way to go, because if you are say bottom third after the first year then you can cut your losses, and move on.

If you're bottom third at Fordham, you still aren't getting a job.

I don't know if Fordham is worth 140k more than Brooklyn. Brooklyn is not a terrible school, and Fordham is not an amazing school.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:46 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:What do you get to keep if you're say top 50 or top 60%?

I think Brooklyn is the way to go, because if you are say bottom third after the first year then you can cut your losses, and move on.

I don't know if Fordham is worth 140k more than Brooklyn. Brooklyn is not a terrible school, and Fordham is not an amazing school.

I agree with this. Brooklyn is the clear choice IMO.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:48 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:What do you get to keep if you're say top 50 or top 60%?

I agree with this. Brooklyn is the clear choice IMO.

i also think that the opportunity to come out with no debt after a year of intense studying has some internal value. 1L is very tough, and can build a solid work foundation in another field. additionally, you do still learn a lot - not enough to be a lawyer, but enough to defend yourself in day to day arguments, etc. seem to be less useful ways to spend a free year. the 5k would cover commuting from home, and most food not from your folks' fridge.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”