Just got off waitlist to GWU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DrVictorFreeze
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 am

Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 pm

Just got off the waitlist at GWU. Allready committed to Emory with a 14,000 / year scholly. As of now, GWU is saying they have no money for scholarships. Should I even entertain going to GW. I want to go either Biglaw or maybe a clerkship.

cool of law
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby cool of law » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm in a similar situation where i just got into Davis (23) w/o money and am currently committed to Arizona w half tuition.

It's a toughy...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:16 pm

If you sincerely want biglaw you should retake reapply.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:19 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:Just got off the waitlist at GWU. Allready committed to Emory with a 14,000 / year scholly. As of now, GWU is saying they have no money for scholarships. Should I even entertain going to GW. I want to go either Biglaw or maybe a clerkship.


Sticker at GWU is suicidal. That much debt for a 1/4 shot at biglaw? Emory has worse numbers, but at least you're getting money...

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby justhockey31 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Similar spot...Minnesota (18k/yr) vs GW (sticker)

cool of law
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby cool of law » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Not to be egocentric or anything, but I accidentally ended my own WL situation poll early and am still seeking advice, UC Davis sticker or Arizona half-tuition. I will not be taking out loans either way. I would prefer to practice in CA, socal in particular, but just having a job is priority. I know its bad to think this way but I also feel that UA would be less competitve; however, that is almost purely speculation.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:30 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Similar spot...Minnesota (18k/yr) vs GW (sticker)


Given your SN, I'm assuming you're from the upper midwest somewhere? Minnesota- no brainer.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby justhockey31 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Not from the midwest actually...im from NY and GW is my top choice but the money from Minnesota is probably going to keep me from DC

Does anyone have any numbers on how each school fared at their most recent OCI?

DrVictorFreeze
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:47 pm

bk1 wrote:If you sincerely want biglaw you should retake reapply.


Is it possible to block this guy. He writes the same thing on every thread.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby flcath » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Put up a poll.

I vote Emory, since ELS and GWU are essentially peer schools (two years ago, the gross rank disparity was reversed: ELS at 21 and GWU at 28) and ELS will end up being significantly cheaper for you between CoL and the scholarship.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:55 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:Just got off the waitlist at GWU. Allready committed to Emory with a 14,000 / year scholly. As of now, GWU is saying they have no money for scholarships. Should I even entertain going to GW. I want to go either Biglaw or maybe a clerkship.


Did GW mention anything about the possibility of need-based aid? Last year they were pretty free with need-based aid. I was offered 11k and I think they went up to 15k for some.

DrVictorFreeze
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:Just got off the waitlist at GWU. Allready committed to Emory with a 14,000 / year scholly. As of now, GWU is saying they have no money for scholarships. Should I even entertain going to GW. I want to go either Biglaw or maybe a clerkship.


Did GW mention anything about the possibility of need-based aid? Last year they were pretty free with need-based aid. I was offered 11k and I think they went up to 15k for some.


Yeah they did. I am not really in need though. My parents are fronting most of the bill. Ill probably give GWU a call in the morning to see what my options are. Hey maybe theyll give me a bunch of money.
Last edited by DrVictorFreeze on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:05 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Not from the midwest actually...im from NY and GW is my top choice but the money from Minnesota is probably going to keep me from DC

Does anyone have any numbers on how each school fared at their most recent OCI?


Minnesota is still a better choice. You won't get DC, but you also won't be in 200K debt. If you're median at GW, you're screwed with that debt level.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:05 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:
bk1 wrote:If you sincerely want biglaw you should retake reapply.


Is it possible to block this guy. He writes the same thing on every thread.


Ever thought that maybe he writes it because it is true?

DrVictorFreeze
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:09 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:
bk1 wrote:If you sincerely want biglaw you should retake reapply.


Is it possible to block this guy. He writes the same thing on every thread.


Ever thought that maybe he writes it because it is true?


Im tired of these condescending posts. Im clearly not going to drop out of school to spend all day studying for the LSAT. This guy is a useless troll.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:17 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:
bk1 wrote:If you sincerely want biglaw you should retake reapply.


Is it possible to block this guy. He writes the same thing on every thread.


Ever thought that maybe he writes it because it is true?


Im tired of these condescending posts. Im clearly not going to drop out of school to spend all day studying for the LSAT. This guy is a useless troll.


Wait a second, the facts are condescending now? How about simple math. Sticker at T30 = about 200K debt. Chance of making 6 figures from T30 = between 25 and 30%. Therefore, 70+% of the students will be making 40-50K at best at graduation. Sticker debt for a better than average chance at never being able to pay it back? Sounds great to me!

DrVictorFreeze
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Doesnt matter if he is right or wrong. He is still a dirty dirty troll. I am not interested in debating the merits of going to a T2 school.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:39 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:Doesnt matter if he is right or wrong. He is still a dirty dirty troll. I am not interested in debating the merits of going to a T2 school.


LOL. Then don't come to this forum and ask whether you should dump 200K down the drain to attend GW at sticker. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky quarter, probably you won't be. You're going to get realistic responses. If you don't like realism, this forum is probably not for you.

DrVictorFreeze
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:44 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:Doesnt matter if he is right or wrong. He is still a dirty dirty troll. I am not interested in debating the merits of going to a T2 school.


LOL. Then don't come to this forum and ask whether you should dump 200K down the drain to attend GW at sticker. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky quarter, probably you won't be. You're going to get realistic responses. If you don't like realism, this forum is probably not for you.


I come to the forum looking for constructive advice, not for someone to post the same idiotic / unhelpful thing on every thread.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:53 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:Doesnt matter if he is right or wrong. He is still a dirty dirty troll. I am not interested in debating the merits of going to a T2 school.


LOL. Then don't come to this forum and ask whether you should dump 200K down the drain to attend GW at sticker. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky quarter, probably you won't be. You're going to get realistic responses. If you don't like realism, this forum is probably not for you.


I come to the forum looking for constructive advice, not for someone to post the same idiotic / unhelpful thing on every thread.


That is the most constructive advice you're going to find here. What don't you understand about "it's bad to go into 200K debt for 25% chance of being able to pay it back?"

DrVictorFreeze
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:55 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:Doesnt matter if he is right or wrong. He is still a dirty dirty troll. I am not interested in debating the merits of going to a T2 school.


LOL. Then don't come to this forum and ask whether you should dump 200K down the drain to attend GW at sticker. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky quarter, probably you won't be. You're going to get realistic responses. If you don't like realism, this forum is probably not for you.


I come to the forum looking for constructive advice, not for someone to post the same idiotic / unhelpful thing on every thread.


That is the most constructive advice you're going to find here. What don't you understand about "it's bad to go into 200K debt for 25% chance of being able to pay it back?"


I hate giving you the last word

Autoaccept
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby Autoaccept » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:59 pm

I decided on GWU sticker over Minnesota with $22k/year (I believe). However, I won't have to pay for housing in DC (which, with GWU charging similar tuition to most private law schools, was definitely the most expensive part, relatively).

I was born/raised in DC, and want to work here, so I figured GWU would be the best bet. I know that Georgetown is ranked higher out of the two schools but the thing I've learned (anecdotally, admittedly) is that DC has a huge amount of lawyers from both Georgetown and GWU. If you can't get into a t-15 (see: me) and know you want to work in DC, I can't see how GWU isn't your best option.

But the free housing made my decision much easier. Also- and I know this statement will be picked apart by some on this board- you only ever get to put one school on your degree. Even apart from rankings, you have to study the trajectory of the two schools and their respective markets. I had very little knowledge of Minneapolis but short of a disaster that forces the federal government to move to Philly, DC is going to be a very important place that employs many lawyers. As an economics student, I think I can make a plausible argument that this effect applies to private law firms as well.

GWU really is expensive. But living in DC is an expensive endeavor any way you cut it.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby justhockey31 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Autoaccept wrote:I decided on GWU sticker over Minnesota with $22k/year (I believe). However, I won't have to pay for housing in DC (which, with GWU charging similar tuition to most private law schools, was definitely the most expensive part, relatively).

I was born/raised in DC, and want to work here, so I figured GWU would be the best bet. I know that Georgetown is ranked higher out of the two schools but the thing I've learned (anecdotally, admittedly) is that DC has a huge amount of lawyers from both Georgetown and GWU. If you can't get into a t-15 (see: me) and know you want to work in DC, I can't see how GWU isn't your best option.

But the free housing made my decision much easier. Also- and I know this statement will be picked apart by some on this board- you only ever get to put one school on your degree. Even apart from rankings, you have to study the trajectory of the two schools and their respective markets. I had very little knowledge of Minneapolis but short of a disaster that forces the federal government to move to Philly, DC is going to be a very important place that employs many lawyers. As an economics student, I think I can make a plausible argument that this effect applies to private law firms as well.

GWU really is expensive. But living in DC is an expensive endeavor any way you cut it.


It makes sense that GW would give more opportunities for networking and externing but I wonder if it is worth the extra $$? I am honestly looking for reasons to go to GW because it was my top choice but its such a tough call

KamaalTheAbstract
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:Doesnt matter if he is right or wrong. He is still a dirty dirty troll. I am not interested in debating the merits of going to a T2 school.


LOL. Then don't come to this forum and ask whether you should dump 200K down the drain to attend GW at sticker. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky quarter, probably you won't be. You're going to get realistic responses. If you don't like realism, this forum is probably not for you.


I come to the forum looking for constructive advice, not for someone to post the same idiotic / unhelpful thing on every thread.


That is the most constructive advice you're going to find here. What don't you understand about "it's bad to go into 200K debt for 25% chance of being able to pay it back?"


Really, I don't know why you have you so much to say about this. Notre Dame at 100k in debt is making a similar decision. Once you get to triple figures in debt its pretty much biglaw or bust. And its even harder to get biglaw from ND. You should be taking your own advice.

Autoaccept
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

Re: Just got off waitlist to GWU

Postby Autoaccept » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:35 pm

I know that there are many more GWU grads in DC than Emory or Minnesota grads. I can only imagine, at least in DC, that this helps your chances securing a job here, at any level.

For what it's worth, my choice was between GWU and W&L with a lot of money. In the end, though, EVERYONE I talked to in real life said (a) go to the best school you got into and (b) go to school where you want to work. The answer to both of these questions was GWU. Also, and feel free to spot the flaw in the reasoning in this statement, GWU is a huge school and if you're looking at 25% getting "Big Law" in a down economy, that's still over 100 students. I went to a large undergraduate and the big class sizes won't bother me. I also think sheer number of lawyers GWU can potentially place into prestigious jobs means something, if not as important as the percentage. At least it did to me.

But as I'm already committed, maybe I should advise you not to come. If you're smarter/going to work harder than me, GWU IS A RIPOFF.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Socratease and 3 guests