Please help! GULC (45k) v. UCLA (15k+)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pinkgrapefruit

Please help! GULC (45k) v. UCLA (15k+)?

Postby pinkgrapefruit » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Got off UCLA's waitlist and I'm torn.

GULC: I got 45k in scholarship/grants and I'd love to live in DC for a few years. But, I'm not sure how handling law school will be in a new environment and I'll be across the country from my serious boyfriend -> LDR. He can't move over during these three years because he's also in school on the west coast.

UCLA: tired of the campus (went there for undergrad), less $ (only 15k over 3 years + small need based grant determined each year), but I'll have my family and boyfriend around to support me.

Basically, right now I'm choosing UCLA based on the fact that my boyfriend is here. If I go to GULC, I'll probably only see him 3-5 times a year. If I go to UCLA, I'll see him almost every weekend. I feel sure that if I stayed in SoCal we would get through these three years fine. Going to GULC would be much more uncertain. BUT I'm only 21 years old, so is it crazy/stupid that I'm basing this off of staying near him?

I'm sure not having to deal with the stress of a coast-to-coast LDR would help my studies, but am having a hard time logically justifying giving up an extra ~20k and a chance to study law in DC.
Last edited by pinkgrapefruit on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.

legaleagle9

Re: GULC v. UCLA?

Postby legaleagle9 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:43 pm

UCLA

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:46 pm

If you want to end up in California, go to UCLA. For biglaw, UCLA and GULC have pretty much equal placement statistics: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm assuming you're paying sticker, or close to it, at both? I think you need to ask yourself what is more important to you:

If getting a job in California after graduation is the most important thing then you should go to UCLA.
However, if having the easiest time paying back your loans is the most important thing then you should go to GULC with strong possibility that if you do decently you may have to take an NYC biglaw job to pay off your debt.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:52 pm

If you attend law school at UCLA, you will see the university in a different light & from a different perspective.
If you want a new experience in a different city, then Wash DC's Georgetown is a great option.
The safer choice is the known quantity in the home market. The risk at Georgetown is that you become homesick & realize that the East is not your preferred location. But that's what transfer apps are for.
My answer is to flip a coin. If it comes up for Georgetown, then flip it again until you get it right.

P.S. New experiences in a different city is why folks take vacations.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:59 pm

where's USC w/$$?

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Good to see this poll coming out the right way.

It used to be that any school-choice poll anyone put up anywhere on TLS might as well be labeled "Which of these schools is the highest ranked in US News and World Report?"

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:13 pm

flcath wrote:Good to see this poll coming out the right way.

It used to be that any school-choice poll anyone put up anywhere on TLS might as well be labeled "Which of these schools is the highest ranked in US News and World Report?"

I think TLSers generally take any opportunity for anti-GULC trolling, but you do have a point haha.

pinkgrapefruit

Postby pinkgrapefruit » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm

I'd like to clarify where I am at this point and see what you guys say.

Right now I'm choosing UCLA based on the fact that my boyfriend is here. If I go to GULC, I'll probably only see him 3-5 times a year. If I go to UCLA, I'll see him almost every weekend. We're in it for the long run, I would love to have him around during LS, and I feel sure that if I stayed in SoCal we would get through these three years fine. BUT I'm only 21 years old, so is it crazy that I'm basing this off of staying near him? If I was single, I would choose GULC, especially with the scholarship and the chance to get out of LA, where I've lived for most of my life.

sold123

Postby sold123 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:31 pm

pinkgrapefruit wrote:I'd like to clarify where I am at this point and see what you guys say.

Right now I'm choosing UCLA based on the fact that my boyfriend is here. If I go to GULC, I'll probably only see him 3-5 times a year. If I go to UCLA, I'll see him almost every weekend. We're in it for the long run, I would love to have him around during LS, and I feel sure that if I stayed in SoCal we would get through these three years fine. BUT I'm only 21 years old, so is it crazy that I'm basing this off of staying near him? If I was single, I would choose GULC, especially with the scholarship and the chance to get out of LA, where I've lived for most of my life.

This is something you should talk about with your friends/bf/reflect on with your self. Very personal decision, I don't think you'll find a worthy answer here.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:57 pm

pinkgrapefruit wrote:I'd like to clarify where I am at this point and see what you guys say.

Tbf, I feel like if the ONLY reason you are choosing UCLA is because of a boyfriend, then you should go with GULC. It's kind of cliche but if its meant to work out then it will work out at either place, but if you break up in 8 months and then you are stuck at UCLA, I think you'll regret it a lot more than if you go to GULC, love it, but lose a relationship when you are only 21 years old. Just my thoughts.

metallaura

Re: Please help! GULC (45k) v. UCLA (15k+)?

Postby metallaura » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:03 pm

I also feel strongly that you should take your boyfriend out of the equation.

1. If you're near him, he might distract you from your studies. If you're away from him, you may be less distracted and study more & better.
2. You might end up resenting him even if it's just subconsciously.

I'd say go where your chances of practicing what you want to practice are higher and where you will leave with less debt. Both are great schools so congrats on that!

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:23 pm

OP, are your law school expenses less the scholarship going to be covered primarily by loans? If they are, I would pick GULC for less debt and slightly better job prospects.

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:31 pm

From my experience, people who go to law school at this age almost alway regret it. If you are financing your education with debt, you will lock yourself into a career that is not always forgiving of immaturity. As a recent Georgetown grad, my advice is don't go to Georgetown or UCLA right now. Find a job where you can get experience in the law and enjoy your life for a little while. It wont hurt you at all to start law school in a few years. 22 years old with little debt and a decent job is basically the best place to be in life: total freedom.

Edit: If you must go to school now, definitely Georgetown. It makes no sense to pay more for UCLA.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:15 am

OP, are you looking to work in SoCal? If so, I think UCLA should be the choice here (negotiate aid with them...they should be able to give you more).

If you want BigLaw generally and have any interest of workng in NY/DC, then Georgetown should be the choice (particularly since it will be cheaper).

You need to take the BF out of the equation. There are plenty of threads here re: doing a LDR in law school, read some.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”