MPA vs TT/TTT with minimal $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Champion of the Sun

MPA vs TT/TTT with minimal $

Postby Champion of the Sun » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:31 am

I don't know if this is in the right section. Anyways, I have been accepted to a tt and ttt with minimal $ at both and at the smae time I am considering going for a MPA instead. The program I would applying to would be at my alma mater and I have a better than 50/50 shot at getting in and starting in the Spring 2012 semester. I would qualify for in-state tuition and I know the area very well and it's where I want to live and work. (I also got waitlisted at the high TT in the area)

My question is which would be harder- getting a job with a MPA with no relevant w.e. in the area of study or getting a job coming out of a regional TT/TTT? I know which one would be cheaper debt wise but if a MPA is of little help then it doesn't make a difference.

Some background info- I graduated with a Poli Sci BA in May 2010 and since then have only been able to work 3 pt retail jobs simutaniously to equal one full time job. My monthly total income from these 3 jobs is awful and there is little hope of advancement and I still apply for government jobs and a.a. jobs everyday with no luck. Retaking the lsat and reapplying next cycle is not an option because I am lucky enough that my folks have let me stay with them during this period but they have told me that if I retake and wait till next year that I would have to move out and given my financial situation I wouldn't be able to afford a place in my area on my income.

ran12

Re: MPA vs TT/TTT with minimal $

Postby ran12 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:43 am

Generally neither is worth it b/c working on Capitol Hill for a couple of years equates to MPA education but since you've been striking out with gov't jobs, prob the MPA is a better idea. It also depends where the MPA is from b/c if the area isn't flush with gov't positions and the school isn't really well known/respected, the MPA could be risky. Taking one of the law school offers is a crapshoot b/c of the oversaturation of the legal market and the debt you would accumulate from a lower ranked school.

Champion of the Sun

Postby Champion of the Sun » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:05 pm

ran12 wrote:Generally neither is worth it b/c working on Capitol Hill for a couple of years equates to MPA education but since you've been striking out with gov't jobs, prob the MPA is a better idea. It also depends where the MPA is from b/c if the area isn't flush with gov't positions and the school isn't really well known/respected, the MPA could be risky. Taking one of the law school offers is a crapshoot b/c of the oversaturation of the legal market and the debt you would accumulate from a lower ranked school.

The MPA would be a concentratrion in Financial Management and the program I would apply to is at VCU in Richmond VA. There aren't a lot of federal jobs there but it is the capitol of Virginia and has a lot of state positions as well as Richmond county and the surrounding counties. The program requires a 3 cr internship if you have less than 1 year w.e. in your field of study and if I apply by July 15 I would still have a shot at getting in this fall.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:14 pm

retake

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Champion of the Sun wrote:
ran12 wrote:Generally neither is worth it b/c working on Capitol Hill for a couple of years equates to MPA education but since you've been striking out with gov't jobs, prob the MPA is a better idea. It also depends where the MPA is from b/c if the area isn't flush with gov't positions and the school isn't really well known/respected, the MPA could be risky. Taking one of the law school offers is a crapshoot b/c of the oversaturation of the legal market and the debt you would accumulate from a lower ranked school.

The MPA would be a concentratrion in Financial Management and the program I would apply to is at VCU in Richmond VA. There aren't a lot of federal jobs there but it is the capitol of Virginia and has a lot of state positions as well as Richmond county and the surrounding counties. The program requires a 3 cr internship if you have less than 1 year w.e. in your field of study and if I apply by July 15 I would still have a shot at getting in this fall.

In that case it could be worth it since the concentration is something that is more in depth than what you would experience while working. I can't really say what you should do b/c I don't know everything about your background and situation but based on what you've provided, it seems like the MPA program is your best bet. Unfortunately, poly sci degrees don't really get you far and since you're miserable with your retail jobs, which have low probability of satisfying future lifestyle, MPA makes sense. At least with the MPA, you could potentially network you're way into a good job and more education correlates to better future earnings even if there is an initial debt period.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 pm

I don't know whether an MPA is worth it, but I can guarantee you that a TT/TTT at close to sticker is going to put you in a worse position than you are in now (though there is an exception if the TT/TTT is a state school where you can go for cheap). And yes I realize you are currently working 3 dead end jobs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”