LAW SCHOOL- 149 LSAT 3.8 UGPA- CLIMATE LIKE TEXAS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mebo28

Re: LAW SCHOOL- 149 LSAT 3.8 UGPA- CLIMATE LIKE TEXAS

Postby mebo28 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Well, I would say do not pick 1 area. Your best bet is to find a few areas that you may be able to deal with. Areas where you are particularly far from might take a chance on you since they may not get many students from your area.

I would say a T2 is possible, just make sure you have strong softs. You most likely will have to settle for a part-time enrollment gig, but usually you can transfer to full-time after a year if you do good. You will also most likely be put on a bunch of waitlists. Ride the waitlists and make sure the schools know you are seriously interested.

I personally don't think the LSAT has any real indication on how well of a lawyer you will become. Like all tests, none are perfect, and the LSAT is far from that. Still, it is what academia uses as a standard of measurement.

You obviously are a smart person who works hard. Several schools will take splitters. I would keep doing research and you might be surprised on who some schools actually take. I'm not saying it is the norm, but many schools usually take a few risks. You just have to be one.

I was in a very similar position and ended up fine. But like I said, don't limit yourself. Be smart, make the best decision you can for yourself and you will be fine.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

OP, you can take out the 150K in loans and give the money to me. I promise to hire you as my legal assistant. PM me for wire transfer instructions.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:11 pm

WHY IS YOUR SUBJECT LINE SCREAMING AT ME???

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:23 pm

OP, btw, is the 3.8 your LSAC ugpa? I'm trying to figure out why you're scoring that low considering your gpa and the amount of time you've put into preparation. Don't take this the wrong way but I'm interested in this for my own research about problems urm's tend to have with the LSAT which results in a lower score. Your experiences will be quite helpful. I'm guessing the band accounts for your scores on three occasions so I'm interested in what other factors contributed to your score. I'm sorry if this comes off the wrong way.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Please, please, please do not attempt to attend any law school or become a practicing attorney. I don't care how passionate you are about it and "ZOMFG LUV THE LAWL SO MUCH!!!!1"; you will be not be passionate about your (lack of) job, debt, quality of life in law school (read: Poor, as you will likely get your ass kicked), and foregone income from 3yrs. unemployment.

If this hurts your feelings, prove me wrong and get 160+ and then enjoy a (relatively) healthier career. Best of luck if you decide to do this. Worst of luck and I hope you fail if you do not retake and apply as it stands, as your getting into law school is really not in anyone's best interest..principally not your own.
Last edited by WSJ_Law on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Why is everyone disregarding the SMU thing? Every URM with #s close to OPs got in or waitlisted, and it's not a bad school for working in TX....

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:29 pm

NYC Law wrote:Why is everyone disregarding the SMU thing? Every URM with #s close to OPs got in or waitlisted, and it's not a bad school for working in TX....

haha, you answered yourself

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:44 pm

I'd agree that the 165 number is ridiculous. 165/3.8 would give a non-URM a shot at some T20s. A 165, 3.8 URM easily gets T10.

OP, a 149 is likely too low to get you in anywhere decent unless you are Native American/Hispanic. If you can hit a 155 (a 6 point increase, especially in this range, is absolutely doable), you'll have a chance at a lot of T1s with a solid diversity statement.
Last edited by bceagles182 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Also, if you are black, I would highly recommend Howard.

http://howard.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:02 am

OP, there are some other choices. First there are schools that will take a chance with you if you have a decent GPA. Ohio Northern will probably admit you ,but you would need to start in the summer. Summer courses, however, do count as part your law school requirements. In addition, they will be very nurturing to summer kids,which will give you a leg up when the fall term starts.

A second option is to apply to schools that will offer you alternative admission. In these schools, you must be invited. It is a VERY INTENSIVE summer program that lasts about 6 weeks where you take two full length law school, third year courses. One is usually negotiable instruments and the other is usually 4th amendment. The program will require successful applicants to work about 13 hours a day, 7 days a week. Moreover, the program is usually ruthlessly graded. However, if you get an overall C+, you are admitted. Although the courses don't count for law school credit, you will garner skills that will make the other law students envious of you when you start your first year. The success rate of students who do well in this program is extremely high. Many of the top students in schools that offer this form of admission were admitted through this program. It really does give you a major edge. Schools that offer admission through this method are Florida Coastal, Nova Law School, Widener, and George Mason. There might be others, which I am not familiar with, who also offer this alternative form of admission. In fact, folks who participate in these programs have shown to be so successful that I would recommend participating in these programs if you get invited even if you have no desire to attend those schools. It really does provide a major edge over other students who didn't participate in the program. Good luck.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:05 am

bceagles182 wrote:I'd agree that the 165 number is ridiculous. 165/3.8 would give a non-URM a shot at some T20s. A 165, 3.8 URM easily gets T10.

OP, a 149 is likely too low to get you in anywhere decent unless you are Native American/Hispanic. If you can hit a 155 (a 6 point increase, especially in this range, is absolutely doable), you'll have a chance at a lot of T1s with a solid diversity statement.

3.8/165 is an admit most places 19 down for non URMs, would have a slight shot at the bottom of the T14.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:48 am

taxguy wrote:OP, there are some other choices. First there are schools that will take a chance with you if you have a decent GPA. Ohio Northern will probably admit you ,but you would need to start in the summer. Summer courses, however, do count as part your law school requirements. In addition, they will be very nurturing to summer kids,which will give you a leg up when the fall term starts.

A second option is to apply to schools that will offer you alternative admission. In these schools, you must be invited. It is a VERY INTENSIVE summer program that lasts about 6 weeks where you take two full length law school, third year courses. One is usually negotiable instruments and the other is usually 4th amendment. The program will require successful applicants to work about 13 hours a day, 7 days a week. Moreover, the program is usually ruthlessly graded. However, if you get an overall C+, you are admitted. Although the courses don't count for law school credit, you will garner skills that will make the other law students envious of you when you start your first year. The success rate of students who do well in this program is extremely high. Many of the top students in schools that offer this form of admission were admitted through this program. It really does give you a major edge. Schools that offer admission through this method are Florida Coastal, Nova Law School, Widener, and George Mason. There might be others, which I am not familiar with, who also offer this alternative form of admission. In fact, folks who participate in these programs have shown to be so successful that I would recommend participating in these programs if you get invited even if you have no desire to attend those schools. It really does provide a major edge over other students who didn't participate in the program. Good luck.

just no.

op, the only answer here should be retake. please don't waste that GPA!!

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:21 am

taxguy wrote:OP, there are some other choices. First there are schools that will take a chance with you if you have a decent GPA. Ohio Northern will probably admit you ,but you would need to start in the summer. Summer courses, however, do count as part your law school requirements. In addition, they will be very nurturing to summer kids,which will give you a leg up when the fall term starts.

tax guy; dr

auburnbelle89

Postby auburnbelle89 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:25 am

While your chances do not look good, I cannot advise you to give up entirely. I personally know someone who was exactly in your situation, got into a lower T2 state school and now has a fantastic job doing something he loves. I believe you have a tough road ahead, but from your GPA it is clear you are motivated and dedicated. Work hard, make great contacts, and you CAN land a decent job. I won't say it is easy, but it is possible if law school is something you really want to do.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:15 am

taxguy wrote:you will garner skills that will make the other law students envious of you when you start your first year ... It really does provide a major edge over other students who didn't participate in the program.

No one is envious of you with a 149, having to pay to enroll in a non-graded BS program, and you likely won't have a major edge over your innately intellectually superior peers.

idratherbetraveling

Postby idratherbetraveling » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Please, please, please do not attempt to attend any law school or become a practicing attorney. I don't care how passionate you are about it and "ZOMFG LUV THE LAWL SO MUCH!!!!1"; you will be not be passionate about your (lack of) job, debt, quality of life in law school (read: Poor, as you will likely get your ass kicked), and foregone income from 3yrs. unemployment.

If this hurts your feelings, prove me wrong and get 160+ and then enjoy a (relatively) healthier career. Best of luck if you decide to do this. Worst of luck and I hope you fail if you do not retake and apply as it stands, as your not getting into law school is really not in anyone's best interest..principally not your own.

I agree with everything above. I would add that if you are hellbent on more schooling NOW, do look into MSW programs as suggested above (fyi, they don't require the GRE, so you don't have to spend $ on another test) or other master's programs that would point you to jobs in areas you're interested in for helping people (think about the topics you're interested in and research programs).

HOWEVER, I would recommend you take at least 2 years off and WORK somewhere - that GPA should get you several interviews. This will give you some distance from your LSAT scores, give you some perspective on whether you want to practice law, or help people through doing something else. If you just want to help people, you have MANY options - start with idealist.org and see what interests you. I realize that in this job market, actually getting a job is easier said than done, but I think this is a better option for you than jumping into grad school right away. Then, if you decide you still want to be a lawyer, you can retake, you'll have 2 years of work experience/softs to talk about, and be able to tell law schools you want to go to there for reasons other than "helping people." Sorry if all of this sounds harsh, I wish you the best of luck.

thatlawguy

Postby thatlawguy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:09 am

Apply to all of the schools in which you are interested. Regardless of what everyone says on this forum, you will get into a decent law school because admissions is more than your gpa and lsat score. People on this forum have a hard time understanding that but if you actually speak to admission officers this is what they will tell you. You can write and addendum to explain your lsat score and indicate that you believe your gpa is more reflective of your potential as a law student.

The worst they can do is deny you admission. In my opinion, its better of being denied than wondering what your future may have been.

Good luck!

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:15 am

thatlawguy wrote: In my opinion, its better of being denied than wondering what your future may have been.

Good luck!

Your future will be getting skull-fucked by mountains of soul-crushing debt. Don't do it OP!

Verity

Postby Verity » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:16 am

Taxguy is either divorced and getting NO sex, or is married and getting NO sex.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Last edited by imbored25 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingMenes

Postby KingMenes » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:08 pm

OP

There is some practical advice provided in this thread, but only you know what is best for you.

If you have a 3.8 GPA and you are a URM, it is worth it for you to petition LSAC for a 4th retake. Regardless, you need to weigh the costs and benefits of pursuing a legal education. It's truly a personal decision, but there are plenty of useful threads within the TLS archives. Someone mentioned that with your current numbers you might have a shot at SMU and Houston, but with a 155+, your options look a whole lot better. Whatever you do, pursue your passion. Only you know the hidden costs of NOT living your dream. You may become the next Benjamin Brafman or Johnnie Cochran with your 149 or you might flameout in big law with a 170 in the future. Don't allow anyone on TLS to persuade you to pursue another path, but consider that with a 149 score, you're going to be facing an avalanche of debt. Therefore, if it comes down to a choice between Houston or SMU with your current score, go to Houston.

With that said, petition LSAC>UTILIZE the PITHYPIKE METHOD>Retake in 2011.

Also, create an account on :arrow: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com so that we can follow your cycle.

Btw, you should view this video from UVA Law Professor Alex Johnson :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c Professor Johnson makes it pretty clear that the Top 25 have an unofficial cutoff of 150.

Good luck.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:03 pm

I suppose I'll just post this in every thread in this forum: http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... digm_shift

Do not go to law school unless you're getting money (and a lot of money) from a T14 school. Or are... independently wealthy and 200k is chump change for you.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Verity wrote:married and getting NO sex.

redundant

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:27 pm

thatlawguy wrote:Apply to all of the schools in which you are interested. Regardless of what everyone says on this forum, you will get into a decent law school because admissions is more than your gpa and lsat score. People on this forum have a hard time understanding that but if you actually speak to admission officers this is what they will tell you. You can write and addendum to explain your lsat score and indicate that you believe your gpa is more reflective of your potential as a law student.

The worst they can do is deny you admission. In my opinion, its better of being denied than wondering what your future may have been.

Good luck!

lol no

pacers3177

Postby pacers3177 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:03 pm

I got into IUB as a non-urm OOS with a 151 LSAT. I also got some $ from them. You may have more options than you think.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”