LAW SCHOOL- 149 LSAT 3.8 UGPA- CLIMATE LIKE TEXAS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
totesTheGoat

Re: LAW SCHOOL- 149 LSAT 3.8 UGPA- CLIMATE LIKE TEXAS

Postby totesTheGoat » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:34 pm

bmathers wrote:I know multiple millionaire attorneys and judges who went to TTT and TTTT law schools. Is it as common as people from T14 schools? No, but it's more than possible. Attending one is not anything near pissing your life or money away.

I know a couple people who won a shit-ton of money in the lottery, and a bunch of people who went bankrupt despite never playing the lottery. That doesn't mean that it's anything but objectively awful advice to tell somebody to take a $150k loan to buy scratchers at the local 7-11.

The plural of anecdote isn't data.

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:52 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
bmathers wrote:I know multiple millionaire attorneys and judges who went to TTT and TTTT law schools. Is it as common as people from T14 schools? No, but it's more than possible. Attending one is not anything near pissing your life or money away.

I know a couple people who won a shit-ton of money in the lottery, and a bunch of people who went bankrupt despite never playing the lottery. That doesn't mean that it's anything but objectively awful advice to tell somebody to take a $150k loan to buy scratchers at the local 7-11.

The plural of anecdote isn't data.

While I agree that taking out a $150k loan for one of those schools is not a good decision, you cannot be serious when you are comparing a successful law career to scratch-off tickets. If you do well, build a network, have people skills, and are relentless - you'll probably make out ok.

If you can network, have people skills, and are relentless... you still have the same chance at those scratch offs as hobo Joe on the street ;)

totesTheGoat

Postby totesTheGoat » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:26 pm

bmathers wrote: If you do well, build a network, have people skills, and are relentless - you'll probably make out ok. do better than a 149 on the LSAT

Yes, there are some good outcomes from TTT and TTTT schools. No, you should not use anecdotes of atypical success as a reason to give people with poor law application packages false hope that they're going to beat the statistics. The stats still say that you have a bigger chance of ending up unemployed after graduating from a TTT than in a job that makes more than $60k.

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:38 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
bmathers wrote: If you do well, build a network, have people skills, and are relentless - you'll probably make out ok. do better than a 149 on the LSAT

Yes, there are some good outcomes from TTT and TTTT schools. No, you should not use anecdotes of atypical success as a reason to give people with poor law application packages false hope that they're going to beat the statistics. The stats still say that you have a bigger chance of ending up unemployed after graduating from a TTT than in a job that makes more than $60k.

While I do agree with this post, and am not arguing that it is the "norm," I certainly wouldn't equate one's people skills and networking ability to their LSAT performance. At least, my LSAT never had that section on it

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Did these attorneys and judges graduate within the last 10 years (preferably the last 5)? Of course people can have very good outcomes from TTT and TTTT school, but hiring and the legal market has changed a lot in the last 5-10 years, so people graduating before then are not good models for now. Also, what you don't see is all the people from those schools who didn't make it in law and went to do other things, or their debt/income ratios.

Tls2016

Postby Tls2016 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:19 pm

I think we need a TLS version of Godwin's law whereby anyone who invokes they know or know of people from TT schools who made millions automatically loses the argument.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:24 am

bmathers wrote:I know multiple millionaire attorneys and judges who went to TTT and TTTT law schools.

Yes, there are lots of successful attorneys who came from TTTs, but there are two big caveats to that.

First, a lot of these people graduated decades back, when the demand for lawyers was higher than the supply. Those days are gone.

Second, especially of those successful attorneys from TTTs who graduated more recently, you'll probably find they were at the top of their class. If only the top ~10% of a school's graduates go on to become successful, that's not exactly a school that you want to risk your future with. And do not delude yourself into thinking you're a special snowflake who will definitely be in the top 10% of whatever school.

eta; nony scooped me on my first point.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:10 am

Tls2016 wrote:I think we need a TLS version of Godwin's law whereby anyone who invokes they know or know of people from TT schools who made millions automatically loses the argument.

This is now a thing. Make it so. I'm so tired of that stupid "argument."

eagle2a

Postby eagle2a » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:17 am

Not sure why a five year old thread was revived but if you're going to law school with a 14x LSAT score, you're a fucking idiot, and that's putting it nicely.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”