Whittier Law vs Western State University School Of Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GueritaPeloChino

New

Whittier Law vs Western State University School Of Law

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Which is a better choice- Whittier Law School or Western State University School of Law? Whittier's attrition rate is a scary 50%, yet it's been ABA-approved much longer than Western State.

Please help, I have a few more days left to make my decision.

Thank you!

Case2L

Bronze

Re: Whittier Law vs Western State University School Of Law

Post by Case2L » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:11 pm

I will assume this is not a flame and you are sincere. OP, neither of these schools are a decent option. A JD from one of these schools will leave you unemployed and in a worse position than when you started law school. If these two schools are really your best options, you should seriously reconsider law school. I'm not trying to sound negative, but these schools were bad options in a good economy, and they are even worse options now. If you have a worthless bachelor's degree and feel the need to go to grad school, you may want to look into another field.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:32 pm

NEITHER!

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Whittier has a decent rep around OC, if you do well you can succeed. I personally have a friend who has recently graduated from whittier and is doing well

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Nobody should be attending four-tier schools. This should be abundantly clear by now, when some first-tier schools are of questionable worth. And I say this as a T2 student.

If you must attend, do so with a scholarship. Please.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:30 am

what T1 schools are questionable? if OP wishes to advance his education, then all ABA approved law schools could provide that opportunity, only difference is that some will open more doors, in the end, he will be a juris DOCTOR

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:35 am

Jah'rakal wrote:what T1 schools are questionable? if OP wishes to advance his education, then all ABA approved law schools could provide that opportunity, only difference is that some will open more doors, in the end, he will be a juris DOCTOR
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/emory-la ... need-jobs/

for instance

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:43 am

Jah'rakal wrote:what T1 schools are questionable? if OP wishes to advance his education, then all ABA approved law schools could provide that opportunity, only difference is that some will open more doors, in the end, he will be a juris DOCTOR
Everything outside T10 at normal private school sticker price.

Everything outside T25/30 at half that.

Who cares if you are a JD if you don't have a job?

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:43 am

bhan87 wrote:

for instance
that's fail right there, everyone knows emory is a prestigious schools and as soon as economy improves, its students are due to make the big bucks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:44 am

Jah'rakal wrote:
bhan87 wrote:

for instance
that's fail right there, everyone knows emory is a prestigious schools and as soon as economy improves, its students are due to make the big bucks
Ah, now you're outed as a really poor flame.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:48 am

The Emory University School of Law is one of the strongest law schools in the American South – and, for that matter, the entire country.
With excellent academics in a city with a superb quality of life, Emory is an excellent choice for students looking to secure employment in Georgia or the South.

--TLS

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:53 am

Jah'rakal wrote:The Emory University School of Law is one of the strongest law schools in the American South – and, for that matter, the entire country.
With excellent academics in a city with a superb quality of life, Emory is an excellent choice for students looking to secure employment in Georgia or the South.

--TLS
I think it's safe to say you're a flame, but those profiles were written in a different era man.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:49 am

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:56 am

stayed in OC for 5-6 years, I think Whittier is on the rise, they are becoming more selective in admissions, and hey, there's even a whittier class thread on TLS, and that says a lot, u don't see one for western state

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:31 pm

Thank you all very much for your input.

Western State has offered a little more than a 1/4 tuition scholarship for the first year and Whittier 7,000, but it's nearly nothing considering tuition is almost 40k a year. I hope I can negotiate more money with Whittier as it is the school I am currently leaning a bit more towards.

Anyone have any tips for negotiating scholarship amounts?

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:12 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:
Anyone have any tips for negotiating scholarship amounts?
retake

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:24 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:

You really think the T-10 is the cutoff for paying sticker ND? You wouldn't include Duke, NW, Cornell and GULC in that? I have heard some people question GULC because of the size and the difficulty of breaking into DC, but I thought the other schools placed pretty well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:45 pm

TheZoid wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

You really think the T-10 is the cutoff for paying sticker ND? You wouldn't include Duke, NW, Cornell and GULC in that? I have heard some people question GULC because of the size and the difficulty of breaking into DC, but I thought the other schools placed pretty well.
I believe the argument is that even though those schools place reasonably well, they don't place well for all of their class, and prospects can be bleak sub-median. The problem is that those schools are enormously expensive, so if you go to them and fall below the median, you will probably not be able to get the only jobs that will allow you to pay off your debt. Getting biglaw is never a safe gamble, and while your chances are certainly better in the T14, plenty of students at those schools don't make the cut and still need to service that $200K they took on in debt.

stowhat

New

Post by stowhat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Case2L wrote: OP, neither of these schools are a decent option. A JD from one of these schools will leave you unemployed and in a worse position than when you started law school. If these two schools are really your best options, you should seriously reconsider law school. I'm not trying to sound negative, but these schools were bad options in a good economy, and they are even worse options now. If you have a worthless bachelor's degree and feel the need to go to grad school, you may want to look into another field.
This. Both have dismal bar passage rates and employment figures.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:02 pm

framboozer wrote:
TheZoid wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

I believe the argument is that even though those schools place reasonably well, they don't place well for all of their class, and prospects can be bleak sub-median. The problem is that those schools are enormously expensive, so if you go to them and fall below the median, you will probably not be able to get the only jobs that will allow you to pay off your debt. Getting biglaw is never a safe gamble, and while your chances are certainly better in the T14, plenty of students at those schools don't make the cut and still need to service that $200K they took on in debt.
yeah, but can you seriously tell me that job prospects are so much better at Michigan than they are at Cornell or NW that the latter are only worth half as much? Michigan honestly has worse biglaw placement than either of these schools. Penn and UVA are only marginally better if at all.

I could see the cutoff being GULC if only because biglaw has been inching below 40%, but they place a decent enough amount into PI that they're not a terrible bet either.

That said, this is completely different conversation than whether to go to fucking Whittier or similar shit-tier schools. The answer to that question is clearly no.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:35 pm

I didn't mean to say you needed a half ride to attend DNCG. Though DNC should be on a different tier than GULC. They are nearly worth sticker, and if you have some money saved up, go for it. 200K debt from GULC is insane though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amarie

New

Post by amarie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 pm

I just transferred out of Western State.... DO NOT GO THERE. I got very lucky, got a full ride my first year, and made it out to a much better school. Anyone who wants to know what really happens at Western State, I encourage you to send me a pm so we can chat. If I can save even 1 soul from stepping foot in crappy Western State, I will be very pleased.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Can you share with everybody? I'd love to hear

amarie

New

Post by amarie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:44 pm

EDITS- just PM if you really want details
Last edited by amarie on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:55 pm

amarie wrote:I just transferred out of Western State.... DO NOT GO THERE. I got very lucky, got a full ride my first year, and made it out to a much better school. Anyone who wants to know what really happens at Western State, I encourage you to send me a pm so we can chat. If I can save even 1 soul from stepping foot in crappy Western State, I will be very pleased.
Just checked your profile. Transferring to Boalt from Western State? Congrats man, that happens once in a blue moon.

Other people applying should note that this is an exceptional case and many people entering law school planning to transfer fail to do so. Those students are stuck at their current school with debt they can't discharge.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”