USC sticker vs Loyola 23k/year?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

USC (sticker)
83%
Loyola LA (23,000 a year)
18%

Total votes: 40

stowhat

USC sticker vs Loyola 23k/year?

Postby stowhat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Trying to decide between USC @ sticker or Loyola LA with a 23,000/year scholarship (top 30% stipulation). I'm pretty debt adverse and do not want big law. However, I am concerned that I will be stuck in the LA area after graduation if I choose Loyola - I would like to have the option of moving to the bay area.

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: USC sticker vs Loyola 23k/year?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:16 pm

The job prospects for Loyola LA are not very good. And the scholarship stipulation is horrible. So, I would throw that out of the window. USC is the much better option, but seeing as how you are debt averse and do not want big law... I'm not sure how wise of a decision that is either.

Nevertheless, USC > Loyola LA.

Did you apply to Davis or Hastings at all, seeing as you want the option of the bay area?

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:21 pm

I applied and was accepted to Davis and Hastings but did not put down a deposit.

I want to live in the LA area for the next 3 years. I am not committed to living in the bay area after graduation but would like to have it as an option, which I think makes USC the better school for me. The debt makes me really nervous but I wouldn't mind working in a larger law firm for a few years if necessary to pay off the debt.

Forgot to mention: I have the option of living at home during 2L and 3L if I went to USC (don't think its a very good idea for 1L because the commute is awful). That would save me quite a bit of money if I was starting to get really nervous about the debt.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:25 pm

Hmmm, okay. USC is TCR here, then. My guess is there's a good chance you will have to go into Big Law to pay off that debt, though. And by all means, do what you can to save money.

--LinkRemoved--

The scholarship stipulation at Loyola is pretty rough.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Retake and reapply. Davis/Hastings with $$$ is what you need.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Nope, Davis/Hastings is not what I need. I was accepted at both with $$. I just want to leave the bay area open as an option - I haven't made up my mind if I want to live there or not. But between USC and Loyola, USC would give me a better chance at that option.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:45 pm

USC sticker is not a good option...in that case, retake/reapply and go for USC or UCLA with money.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:58 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:USC sticker is not a good option...in that case, retake/reapply and go for USC or UCLA with money.

That would definitely be the best option.

OP, are you willing to retake? What are your current stats?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Interesting to see the large number of X-School v. Loyola LA threads lately.

OP, if you have any specific questions about Loyola, feel free to PM me.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm not willing to retake/reapply - my current stats are 168/3.4. I'm pretty sure that GPA puts me out of scholarship range for both USC and UCLA anyways.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:18 pm

stowhat wrote:168/3.4. I'm pretty sure that GPA puts me out of scholarship range for both USC and UCLA anyways.

This. OP not getting money at USC/UCLA with that GPA.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:54 am

TheFactor wrote:
stowhat wrote:168/3.4. I'm pretty sure that GPA puts me out of scholarship range for both USC and UCLA anyways.

This. OP not getting money at USC/UCLA with that GPA.

Yeah, I think I've maxed out my GPA. Even with a better LSAT, I don't think I'd get into a better California school or get better scholarship offers because my GPA is low.

I'm leaning towards USC at this point. Found out that only about 40% of Loyola students with scholarships are able to renew them after 1L. That number seems really low and I don't want to go to Loyola betting that I'd be able to renew it. Thinking I'll attend USC and live at home during 2L/3L to save money.
Last edited by stowhat on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:00 pm

stowhat wrote:I applied and was accepted to Davis and Hastings but did not put down a deposit.

I want to live in the LA area for the next 3 years. I am not committed to living in the bay area after graduation but would like to have it as an option, which I think makes USC the better school for me. The debt makes me really nervous but I wouldn't mind working in a larger law firm for a few years if necessary to pay off the debt.

Forgot to mention: I have the option of living at home during 2L and 3L if I went to USC (don't think its a very good idea for 1L because the commute is awful). That would save me quite a bit of money if I was starting to get really nervous about the debt.

What does this mean? Why do people continue to talk about where they want to live during law school. You wanted the option to live in the bay area and turned down davis and hastings to live in LA DURING law school? And now you are considering Loyola to satisfy that urge?

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:07 pm

I only said I want to leave the Bay Area as an option. I'm torn between living in LA and the Bay Area after graduation.

I choose LA for law school so I could be close to my family and continue with a hobby that I absolutely love and can't see not being in my life. Going to law school in the Bay Area would remove me from my family and that hobby. I haven't decided which city I want to live in after graduation, so I figured I might as well go to school in the city that will give me the greatest quality of life while I'm in school.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:13 pm

stowhat wrote:I only said I want to leave the Bay Area as an option. I'm torn between living in LA and the Bay Area after graduation.

I choose LA for law school so I could be close to my family and continue with a hobby that I absolutely love and can't see not being in my life. Going to law school in the Bay Area would remove me from my family and that hobby. I haven't decided which city I want to live in after graduation, so I figured I might as well go to school in the city that will give me the greatest quality of life while I'm in school.

fair enough, especially the family stuff, but I can't help thinking that this is the kind of decision making that underlies this article-a-day trend of people waking up one day and realizing that they went to the wrong school/are unemployable/shouldn't have gone/the legal market sucks. This is only three years of your life. Try to inject as much job-prospect thinking into your decision as possible. In other words, I say go to USC if you have to go this year and then be prepared to work in LA, because that is the best job-related option you have set up for yourself

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:19 pm

kwais wrote: In other words, I say go to USC if you have to go this year and then be prepared to work in LA, because that is the best job-related option you have set up for yourself

Oh definitely. I know that is the likely outcome. I wouldn't go to USC if I was deadset on living in the Bay. I just want to leave it as an option, and USC does a better job of that than Loyola.

vb007

Postby vb007 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:33 pm

i would go with usc, but have you contacted loyola mentioning you are weighing them against usc and would be more inclined to accept admission if they offered a better scholarship package? a little negotiating could land you the scholarship package you are seeking.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:40 pm

vb007 wrote:i would go with usc, but have you contacted loyola mentioning you are weighing them against usc and would be more inclined to accept admission if they offered a better scholarship package? a little negotiating could land you the scholarship package you are seeking.

I have not contacted them since being accepted to USC. I tried negotiating my scholarship earlier and they refused to raise it. At that time, they told me that they don't drop the stipulation for anyone.

vb007

Postby vb007 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm

stowhat wrote:
vb007 wrote:i would go with usc, but have you contacted loyola mentioning you are weighing them against usc and would be more inclined to accept admission if they offered a better scholarship package? a little negotiating could land you the scholarship package you are seeking.

I have not contacted them since being accepted to USC. I tried negotiating my scholarship earlier and they refused to raise it. At that time, they told me that they don't drop the stipulation for anyone.

ah ok. well, the acceptance to usc could make them soften their stance. if not, i think you would be much better off at usc.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:00 pm

If you turned down UC-Davis & UC-Hastings with scholarship money, then, presumably, you can afford USC. Obviously both UCs were attractive to you or you would not have applied.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:19 pm

vb007 wrote:ah ok. well, the acceptance to usc could make them soften their stance. if not, i think you would be much better off at usc.

I don't think they'll soften. I've read quite a few posts on here with people in the same situation and Loyola wouldn't remove the stip. The stip is actually quite a turn-off for me. I can't help but think that they're trapping students into attending and laughing all the way to the bank when most of the students lose their scholarships.

CanadianWolf wrote:If you turned down UC-Davis & UC-Hastings with scholarship money, then, presumably, you can afford USC. Obviously both UCs were attractive to you or you would not have applied.

Turning down a scholarship offer does not mean that I can "afford" USC. USC is a financial option for me because I can live at home during 2L and 3L.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Yes, I know which is why I wrote that it was a "presumption". Then why did you apply to Davis & Hastings if being admitted with $$ is not enough ? Regardless, since you can save on room & board by living at home & are willing to do so, then USC is the better choice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 pm

stowhat wrote:USC is a financial option for me because I can live at home during 2L and 3L.

If this is true then hands down USC considering you are twice as likely to lose your scholarship at Loyola than you are to keep it.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Yes, I know which is why I wrote that it was a "presumption". Then why did you apply to Davis & Hastings if being admitted with $$ is not enough ?

To be honest, both schools didn't give me very much money.

bk1 wrote:If this is true then hands down USC considering you are twice as likely to lose your scholarship at Loyola than you are to keep it.

Agreed.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of the input and I think I'll be placing my deposit at USC tonight.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”