Granted a deferral but now accepted off waitlist at another

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf

Re: Granted a deferral but now accepted off waitlist at another

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:08 pm

Signing a deferral agreement that states that you have withdrawn all other law school applications when you haven't done so is dishonest & shows a lack of maturity.

Could be a C&F issue. Best to stick with the original plan rather than stick it to Arizona & the school in Spain.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Why is this thread 3 pages?

OP, you can't go to Davis. Withdraw, notify ASU of your mistake, apologize, and move on.

This has been said numerous times.

/thread

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:16 pm

OP: Find out where your lawyer friend went to law school. Avoid that law school. That lawyer's interpretation of Arizona's deferral agreement is wrong.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:23 pm

kfischm1 wrote:My friend, who is a lawyer but was speaking through personal opinion and not giving legal advice, brought up this point that I found interesting:

1. You agreed to attend Arizona in the fall of the Enrollment Year ("Enrollment Year" is defined as 2012) and

2. You agreed to withdraw all other applications when you accepted the deferral to 2012. You can argue that the phrase "for the Enrollment Year" at the end of the sentence applies to 2012 applications not 2011 so you were not out of compliance keeping the Davis application active for the enrollment year 2011.

No, Enrollment Year clearly only refers to new applications. So you can't apply in 2012 to other schools. It is nonsensical to say that Arizona is asking you to withdraw all applications to schools in 2012, you can't even apply to them yet and you can't apply without breaching the agreement.

I'm hoping you don't try this argument on Arizona to defend your actions. Just tell them you forgot about Davis and didn't withdraw.
Last edited by sunynp on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 pm

sunynp wrote:I'm hoping you don't try this argument on Arizona to defend your actions.

ftfm

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Dany wrote:
sunynp wrote:I'm hoping you don't try this argument on Arizona to defend your actions.

ftfm

Heh I think OP looks better saying she made a mistake in not withdrawing. But, if she thinks that parsing the agreement and explaining she thought it meant she had to withdraw applications she couldn't file anyway, go for it.

I would love to hear the school's reaction to that, but I am hoping for OP's sake, Arizona takes this as a simple error and moves on.

Possibly OP might want to edit her posts here as well, in case admission people take a look. It wouldn't be hard for them to figure out who OP is, should they stumble upon her posts. The posts clearly indicate that OP wants to go to Davis if she can, which undercuts her argument that it was a mistake - or that she only thought she had to withdraw applications for 2012 - which she hadn't filed yet.
Last edited by sunynp on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Oh it certainly looks better if she says it was a mistake; my previous post was merely schadenfreude-related.

Asleep

Postby Asleep » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 pm

kfischm1 wrote:My friend, who is a lawyer but was speaking through personal opinion and not giving legal advice, brought up this point that I found interesting:

1. You agreed to attend Arizona in the fall of the Enrollment Year ("Enrollment Year" is defined as 2012) and

2. You agreed to withdraw all other applications when you accepted the deferral to 2012. You can argue that the phrase "for the Enrollment Year" at the end of the sentence applies to 2012 applications not 2011 so you were not out of compliance keeping the Davis application active for the enrollment year 2011.

Not to be a 0L desktop lawyer, but i think it is pretty clear from the language that "for the enrollment year" is part of the third item on the list of things he is required to do, rather than a modifier of every item on the list.

kfischm1

Postby kfischm1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:04 pm

cool of law: Yes, I still am going to teach in Spain. And I did just complete my bachelor's degrees in May. I spent the summer going into my junior year and junior year of undergrad abroad in Latin America, and I loved it. This past year when I was finishing up my degrees and applying to law schools, I realized that while I definitely want to attend law school, I want to further my Spanish skills and experience living in other parts of the world before attending law school. After graduating with all the law school debt, it won't be so easy to just up and go live elsewhere in the world, so now is the time to do it. Plus, it will be a nice break from school.

Perhaps I'll see you on campus in 2012! :-) Good luck this year!

P.S. I was looking into Arizona's study abroad/exchange opportunities and saw that Puerto Rico is one of them. Definitely plan on applying to that as a 2L or 3L.

To everyone: I notified Arizona of the error of not withdrawing my applications at the schools where I was waitlisted. I have double-checked and withdrawn my applications at schools that had me on their waitlist still. Arizona was understanding and simply said that they appreciated the information and would see me next fall.

Thanks again for the insight and responses. Best of luck to everyone who is attending law school this fall :-)

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Dany wrote:Oh it certainly looks better if she says it was a mistake; my previous post was merely schadenfreude-related.

I love you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”