Loyola Los Angeles Reach

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CPM723

Loyola Los Angeles Reach

Postby CPM723 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:00 pm

How regional is Loyola Law School? I have strong ties to Texas and New York, but I am really interested in Loyola. Would it be a bad idea to attend or does this school have some mobility outside of California?

nelaw2010

Re: Loyola Los Angeles Reach

Postby nelaw2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:08 pm

I have a friend who went to Loyola law school in New Orleans then transferred to Florida.

He told me that whenever he mentioned Loyola, people said it was a good school thinking he meant Loyola Los Angeles. I think Loyola is recognized outside of Los Angeles, especially for trial attorneys.

I guess it depends what type of law you want to practice. Also, if you definitely want to live in NY or Texas, then I would try to go to the best school you can in those states.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:22 pm

I plan on getting involved in prosecution. Also, I do not have the numbers necessary for getting into schools that are worth going to in NY or TX (159, 3.68). I do not plan on taking the LSAT again because I received a score above my average and studied very hard so I do not feel like I can improve much overall. I am also looking at Marquette as an option, between the two which would be a better choice?

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:22 pm

Loyola would be a better choice. Loyola seems to have a solid rep for training litigators.

IamKristieHi

Postby IamKristieHi » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Loyola is a better school than Marquette, but you need to realize if you go to Loyola, you will be working in California for at least a few years before being able to go to NY or TX. Loyola is a very regional school, even if it is known outside of CA. If you look at where they place their graduates, it's almost 100% in Cali. It's not a school to go to if you're planning on practicing in NY or TX. You're better off going to a more regional school in one of those two areas.

When considering schools outside T14, you should pick where you want to practice first, and THEN pick the law school. :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”